Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

David, thank you very much!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Entong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

rod_vw wrote:
Does anyone know what has happened to the M plate decoder sites...

www.vw-mplate.com
Hi,

The site has been online again for 2 months.

I rewrote 100% of the code and reviewed the presentation which is now compatible with smartphones.

MPlates entered over the past 12 years are still there and the site is now able to decode T1, T2 and T3 bus MPlates as well as T3 MStickers.

David.
Fairmounter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

i couldn't check mine. It seems a previous owner already checked it and I'm locked out of rechecking it.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

tv200 wrote:
alman72 wrote:
tv200 wrote:
I am trying to reach the link for decoding the m-plate and it looks like it is not working.
Any update?

this one? https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/decode/

doesnt work Confused
You ve tried it?

if you are having trouble, post a pic of your plate and maybe someone will hold your hand. (enter it for you)
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

tv200 wrote:
alman72 wrote:
tv200 wrote:
I am trying to reach the link for decoding the m-plate and it looks like it is not working.
Any update?

doesnt work Confused
You ve tried it?

Look at the example and the layout of the information. Also note the year bus you are looking up.
This site does work, used it 3 times yesterday.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tv200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
tv200 wrote:
Any update?

doesnt work Confused
You ve tried it?
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

tv200 wrote:
Any update?

tv200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

Any update?
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

78BusGA wrote:
Oh yes! I am all giddy seeing your decoder and thank those all for who put work into it! It is a nice simple clean interface so far, which is fun.

There is however, some areas for serious concern and security.

Exclamation I support the idea of a register-able database, for security reasons. Theres photos of many M-plates floating about, and I think it would be wise to have a back-trackable contact for known owners and photo posters to have security over who input their plate, and if their Chassis Number Short tried to be accessed by someone without the right credentials.

Exclamation This unfortunately mimics the system of owning/controlling personal ID card information. While the photo of an M-plate doesn't have the chassis number on it, the VIN that is posted in the page of result, can easily be considered private and sensitive information, usable by state databases to track vehicle and personal information.

Perhaps for social sharing of the M-plate result page, there be a 'safe' version of the page that doesn't include the VIN, or is grayed out for image sharing somehow? A Personal/Owner page version might have the VIN and other future added information the database might avail.

Arrow If a stolen Bus out there had the thieves use the system to create a printed M-plate page with their info falsely printed on it they could use it for a cash only sale to someone dumb enough not to do the right research, and theres enough out there who might. That is a possibly serious liability some angry owner might put upon you as owner of the database.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the feedback. I've created a thread for the decoder to keep things on topic (this thread was originally for another decoder and I feel I'm starting to hijack it)

I've tried to address your points at https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9163750#9163750.

Decode your M-Plate
vw kondor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
Thanks Tomislav for the feedback on the decoder. I fixed your M-Plate for you:

https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/92111163

I'll add an edit mode as soon as I've got some spare time, so that folks can amend typos themselves. In fact, the edit mode is already there, but it's not quite polished, so I've not advertised it yet.

P.S. looks like you got a nice, Brilliant Orange bus originally destined for Munich Smile

Thank you so much!!
and yes... it's a '79 Brilliant Orange project bus. I hope that i will manage to get some time to put it back on the road.
regards,
Tomislav
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

Oh yes! I am all giddy seeing your decoder and thank those all for who put work into it! It is a nice simple clean interface so far, which is fun.

There is however, some areas for serious concern and security.

Exclamation I support the idea of a register-able database, for security reasons. Theres photos of many M-plates floating about, and I think it would be wise to have a back-trackable contact for known owners and photo posters to have security over who input their plate, and if their Chassis Number Short tried to be accessed by someone without the right credentials.

Exclamation This unfortunately mimics the system of owning/controlling personal ID card information. While the photo of an M-plate doesn't have the chassis number on it, the VIN that is posted in the page of result, can easily be considered private and sensitive information, usable by state databases to track vehicle and personal information.

Perhaps for social sharing of the M-plate result page, there be a 'safe' version of the page that doesn't include the VIN, or is grayed out for image sharing somehow? A Personal/Owner page version might have the VIN and other future added information the database might avail.

Arrow If a stolen Bus out there had the thieves use the system to create a printed M-plate page with their info falsely printed on it they could use it for a cash only sale to someone dumb enough not to do the right research, and theres enough out there who might. That is a possibly serious liability some angry owner might put upon you as owner of the database.

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks Tomislav for the feedback on the decoder. I fixed your M-Plate for you:

https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/92111163

I'll add an edit mode as soon as I've got some spare time, so that folks can amend typos themselves. In fact, the edit mode is already there, but it's not quite polished, so I've not advertised it yet.

P.S. looks like you got a nice, Brilliant Orange bus originally destined for Munich Smile

Decode your M-Plate
vw kondor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

Hi furgo,
first of all, thanks for the M plate decoder.
next, i have made a mistake entering the Paint and interior code (i have entered ELE1NP instead of E1E1NP) and i got my M-plate created with ''ELE1: Unknown exterior color code''.
i have tried to fix the error but i got a message ''Mplate with this Chassis number short already exists.''.
Is it possible to create the correct one?
thanks in advance!
regards,

Tomislav

p.s.
it is for the chassis 92 111 163
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

stevespeirs wrote:
Cool tool, furgo. Thanks for all your hard work!

Don't suppose it would be possible to add an image upload button? Might be a neat addition to the vehicle m-plate page:

Great, thanks for the feedback! I've thought about that. I'd probably limit it to an image to keep it simple for starters. The only concern I had was that I'd probably have to set up a user registration system, so that folks could sign up to go back and edit their picture, M-plate, etc. if needed.

I thought it might be a neat feature for those who want to register their bus or busses and have them listed in one place. But I wasn't sure whether there'd be interest for it, or whether people would want to sign up for yet another website.

stevespeirs wrote:

https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/92007771

PS Not sure if the info is useful, but my bus is Bright Orange/Mexico Beige, with the decoder returning an "unknown exterior color code" message -

EXTERIOR E1D9: Unknown exterior color code

Sure, I've updated the database for you. Check this out:

Could you tell me a bit about your bus for me to add a remark for this database edit? I haven't found this color combination on my sources (E1D9). The closest I had was T1D9, which is Agate Brown/Brilliant Orange.

Decode your M-Plate
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

Cool tool, furgo. Thanks for all your hard work!

Don't suppose it would be possible to add an image upload button? Might be a neat addition to the vehicle m-plate page:

PS Not sure if the info is useful, but my bus is Bright Orange/Mexico Beige, with the decoder returning an "unknown exterior color code" message -

EXTERIOR E1D9: Unknown exterior color code
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

You're welcome, glad it can be helpful.

Thanks to everyone who has submitted M-plates. With nearly 100 of them listed at https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/, they have provided an excellent way to test the decoder.

I've now ironed out a few issues that came up after testing, and added all export locations to the database. As of now, the decoder "should work" for all known codes.

I'll start a dedicated thread once I can put back some more time on it and add a couple of planned features. In the meantime, if you notice any issues with the decoder, unknown codes, etc. feel free to let me know here.

Decode your M-Plate
badufay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

The tool works great! Appreciate the work you guys put together!
Previous: 2015 Golf S TDI, 6 spd man; 2015 Jetta SE TDI, 6 spd man; 12 Jetta 2.5L, 04 Jetta 2.0L, 02 Golf 2.0L, 98 Jetta 2.0L, 98 Golf 2.0L, 98 Cabrio 2.0L, 95 Golf 2.0L, 87 golf GTI 16 valve 1.8L, 86 Cabriolet 1.6L, 80 Audi 4000 1.6L, 76 Audi Fox 1.6L, 76 VW Beetle 1.6L, 74 Audi Fox 1.5L, 69 VW Beetle 1.5L
bigJer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

Thank you Furgo!!! Much appreciated.- Jerry
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

bigJer wrote:
Any help with my M-Plate??

Wow, I hadn't realized there were M-plates without any M-codes. All the ones I had seen had at least one on the second row of codes.

I've fixed the code to make the input of M-codes optional. That should allow folks with plates like yours to submit them. While at it, I decoded your M-plate:

https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/9217457

I hope that's what you were after!

Decode your M-Plate
bigJer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ Reply with quote

Any help with my M-Plate??
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: