Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Light dash fuse blows
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmaoufle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:21 am    Post subject: Light dash fuse blows Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I fighting with a weird issue, that I don't understand. On my 71 campmobile, since a few days the last fuse on the right side kept blowing. I have the wiring and got out the fusebox for better access and did a few tests. After a large amount of fuses, I trace the issue been related to the wire connected to the cluster, if i understand correctly this wire is a positive and feed both turns light, oil and generator lights. Yesterday, I removed this wire clean the connections, removed some bulbs and everything was working nice. I celebrate that with a beer and have a great night.

This morning I start the bus and guess what, the fuse blows Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad What's the hell ???? so if anybody as an idea because i don't know what to do now.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Light dash fuse blows Reply with quote

That fuse also powers the signals, has the emergency flasher switch come apart?, or is a stray bit of metal sitting on top of it shorting it out?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
lmaoufle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Light dash fuse blows Reply with quote

From the wiring diagram there is only two cable going out of this fuse. One for the dash lights and one for the emergency flasher. I disconnect the emergency unit and the fuse keep blowing so this is not it's fault.

What is the link between the signal turn and the black cable? I think it is only for the dash lights: oil generator, turns and fuel gauge..
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Light dash fuse blows Reply with quote

The black wire supplies power to the signals through the hazard switch, but if it still blows the fuse it's obviously not to blame.
The black wire to the instrument cluster powers the idiot lights and the fuel gauge, sometimes the terminal on the back of the gauge comes loose from it's insulated mount and shorts against the instrument case, I'd look there next.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
lmaoufle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Light dash fuse blows Reply with quote

the green wire power to the signals through the hazard switch.

I spent a lot of hours yesterday playing with this issue, i removed one by one the lights until no more short and it seems to be related to a turn signal light... I removed it clean and now it works... but i don't really know why and if it is really fix or if i move another wire at the same time.

And I do see that the black insulator thing of the back of the fuel gauge is a little bit loose, but the cable itself is well maintain on it so I don't know if it can short, now i think of it i regret to not have tape it to the cluster Evil or Very Mad
lmaoufle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Light dash fuse blows Reply with quote

Ok so my repair lasted at least 200 meters not so bad for an afternoon of work Evil or Very Mad

So I did remove the cluster once again and tested this time the gauge terminal and yes I can shortcut the circuit by moving this plastic thingy Shocked

I opened it and one of the two little pin holder broke and so the connection was loose and hit the base of the cluster that is grounded.

I open the gauge tape the hole to isolate it and glue the holder back in place, tested and it works... But I did not drive so maybe tomorrow this thing will blow again and I will cry all my tears, or if will be a success who knows....

Anyway thanks busdaddy for your help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: