Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

set electronic ignition
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: set electronic ignition Reply with quote

if anyone can help this is my first car with an electronic ignition. i have a 1973 vw baja bug. just received a 2387cc engine for it and i think the timing is off. it has an electronic distributor and i do not know how to set it. does it need to be plugged in or unplugged when setting the timing?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

electronic distibutor - little more detail would help - like what brand and maybe a model. mechanical, vac advance? By plugged or unplugged, you mean vac line? Going to make a stab and guess maybe you have an SVDA (034) with Pertronix or Compufire. If so - unplug and cap the vac line back to that carb and set it for 28-30 at max advance (like around 3500 RPMs.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Electronic" distributor usually set same way as mechanical.

Guessing you only have a red and black wire going from coil to distributor.

Static setting is with engine not running but with key on... Connect test light from coil wire (#1 terminal) to ground, put crank shaft pulley on 7.5° BTDC ( #1 cylinder- at top of compression stroke) and rotate distributor till test lamp just comes on.

Running .... Set it at about 28-30° BTDC at 2800-3000 rpm.... Slight variation may be needed to correct for PING (detonation) or some vagrancy to your particular build.

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: