Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine keeps running after ignition key turn off 91 vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
imikeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Engine keeps running after ignition key turn off 91 vanagon Reply with quote

Hi all I have 91 vanagon that after I turn the ignition off with the key the engine still runs. I can even remove the key and the engine still runs. I have tried moving the automatic shifter from park to drive while this happens and it still runs. Dash lights look fine while happening. I can jiggle the key in the ignition to no avail. Engine did turn off once when I banged on fuse box. Engine does eventual turn off after a min or so of messing with stuff but I can isolate what is causing it to happen or turn off. I also noticed a strange noise when starting it sometimes. Not turning off issue is intermittent. I have replaced the neutral safety switch and have added a Gowesty aux battery kit. I have ordered a new ignition switch not installed yet. Wonder if it could be a relay if so what relay would I test. Hope this makes sense thanks for the help!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few comments. First try removing the lower steering column cover. This will give you access to the ignition switch. With the engine running, unplug the ignition switch. The engine should quit. If it does, the ignition switch has an internal problem. They are cheap and available and fail all sorts of ways.

Second, it could be the alternator is somehow back feeding power to the power circuit. You could disconnect the battery ground cable for safety and remove the power wire from the Alternator. Tape it so it does not short out. Reinstall the ground start the engine and shut it off with the key, does the engine quit? If so, you may need to look at the alt warning light circuit. If this is a camper, it also controls the auxilary camping power relay.

Last would be to identify the X relay and unplug it from the relay panel. It may be sticking on. This relay cuts power to all the major consumers while cranking and when the engine starts and you release the key reenergizes powering the heavy elec loads.
imikeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions. Van is a 91 weekender automatic with factory cruise any ideas on x relay identity and location would be appreciated.
imikeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: x contact relay location Reply with quote

18?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I don't know. I'd have to check the manual which I don't have handy. There is a member crazyvwvanman or something close to that. He seems to know almost all these details. He might post or you could pm him.

I have seen it referred to as the defogger relay in some places.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: