Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How Much Gas do i have if I can see it?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: How Much Gas do i have if I can see it? Reply with quote

approx how much do i have? my guage does not work but when i go to the station can see gas? do i have a lot or not necessarily? whats your take?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i du knoe thet wen te pump kikz, its neer phull Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much Gas do i have if I can see it? Reply with quote

420GOAT wrote:
approx how much do i have? my guage does not work but when i go to the station can see gas? do i have a lot or not necessarily? whats your take?

Are you sure that you see it? Perhaps you should strike a match to shed some light on the situation.

VW says 15.9 gallons. I presume that means when it starts to go up the filler pipe. Keep a logbook, figure out what your MPG is, and see whether that gets you 200 or 250 or 300 miles between necessary fillups.
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple fill it all the way up, fill up a jerry can, clock milage per gps or old fashion way (counting the mile markers on the freeway) run it tiill it dies and then you know fill with jerry can and head home Wink haha
Bloog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't you supposed to work for some big parts house?? Why not just fix the damn fuel gauge?? Laughing

chabanais wrote:
Ah... you buy from Sum Ting Wong Distribution Company.
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i need to pull the tank which is something i dont like to do. i found a stashed used og sender. i think the sender is jamed with rust or something. but i went 80 miles when i could see gas in the neck. but the guage read in a place that left me empty in my driveway. ill read the mileage but the question was how much gas do i have if i still see it , at the very least estimated?
Vanhag
Samba Mortician

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnit dude, put down the f-ing bong!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

420GOAT wrote:
i need to pull the tank which is something i dont like to do. i found a stashed used og sender. i think the sender is jamed with rust or something. but i went 80 miles when i could see gas in the neck. but the guage read in a place that left me empty in my driveway. ill read the mileage but the question was how much gas do i have if i still see it , at the very least estimated?

Fill it, and be confident that you have at least 15 gal. On late Bays, I can't see gas when it's full due to the bends in the filler. On the Kombi, I've never checked it between fillups.
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
krimpoo
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why pull the tank?

Take some air controlled snips and cut a nice box above the tank...replace the sending unit and put a nice door where you cut the hole for future needs.If you dont have an air compressor drill four holes in each corner of the box and skill saw out the rest.

The box only needs to be 5 or so inches square.
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krimpoo wrote:
why pull the tank?

Take some air controlled snips and cut a nice box above the tank...replace the sending unit and put a nice door where you cut the hole for future needs.If you dont have an air compressor drill four holes in each corner of the box and skill saw out the rest.

And you think he'll find it on the first try?
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
Bloog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krimpoo wrote:
why pull the tank?

So...you are the dreaded PO we've all heard horror stories about! Rolling Eyes

chabanais wrote:
Ah... you buy from Sum Ting Wong Distribution Company.
PicklePickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melville wrote:
krimpoo wrote:
why pull the tank?

There are pictures in the gallery that show exactly where it is located and where to cut. Here's one from the forum:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PicklePickle wrote:
melville wrote:
krimpoo wrote:
why pull the tank?

There are pictures in the gallery that show exactly where it is located and where to cut. Here's one from the forum:

And cutting that hole is just step one of the SO refusing to ride in the Bus. He'll hear these words, "Honey, I smell gas. Is it safe?"
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
PicklePickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melville wrote:
PicklePickle wrote:
melville wrote:
krimpoo wrote:
why pull the tank?

And cutting that hole is just step one of the SO refusing to ride in the Bus. He'll hear these words, "Honey, I smell gas. Is it safe?"

Not if he takes any time to seal it at all. And what does that matter, his SO--like everyone elses, says that anyway!
DaveKingston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you use for a door? Is there something at an RV store or marine supply that is "air tight" and would be recommended by someone who has done this?
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the salvage yard, and get a cover from a Rabbit.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dansbus88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much Gas do i have if I can see it? Reply with quote

melville wrote:
420GOAT wrote:

Are you sure that you see it? Perhaps you should strike a match to shed some light on the situation.

VW says 15.9 gallons. I presume that means when it starts to go up the filler pipe. Keep a logbook, figure out what your MPG is, and see whether that gets you 200 or 250 or 300 miles between necessary fillups.
dansbus88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much Gas do i have if I can see it? Reply with quote

melville wrote:
420GOAT wrote:

dansbus88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea Smile
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one I did, out of galvanized sheet metal. Others I have done are a little nicer, as I used thinner metal that was easier to shape. I used a fire stop sealant to glue it down.

Quote:
I actually found in the Official VW Type 2 Repair Manual the recommended location for cutting a hole in the rear deck to access the fuel sending unit. At one time VW appearently actually even sold a special cover plate for closing off this hole. The hole needs to be 1.25 inches to the right of center and as far forward as it can go on the flat part of the rear deck. VW shows a hole that is 2.75 x 3.125 inches, but this seems a little small. To give better working room the hole needs to be about 4 inches wide (across the width of the vehicle) and 3.5 inches long (with the length of the vehicle). The book shows an oval shaped hole, but several mechanics that I talked to say they cut a retangular flap, leave one edge of it attached, and just bend it back down when they're done.

I cut my hole using tin snips, but there is plenty of room under the deck (about 2.5 inches clearance) for using a sabre saw if you wish. If you've got any fuel leaks I would not use a sabre saw!!! Which ever way you choose to go be sure to clean all the filings off so that none get in your tank.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: