Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type IV Issues
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Type IV Issues Reply with quote

Just rebuilt my 2.0L Type IV engine with new pistons, cylinders, and rebuilt heads. After putting the engine back in trying to start it up, the engine will turn over for quite a while until you try and put gas or starting flouid in the carb which as soon as you do the engine "locks" up (can't turn the engine over with the starter or by hand). If you let it sit for a few hours you can turn it over with very little effort. My thinking is that I've got the valve's out of adjustment (changed the engine from solid to hydrolic lifters). Please let me know if anybody has any idea's or comments. If anybody has any questions I will try and answer them as quickly and as completely as I can.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your timing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to kill your new engine using start fluid on it, throw that stuff in the harzardous material bin at the dump. There is virtually no call to ever use that stuff on a gasoline engine.

Do you have your timing right, make sure you are not 180° out of time? Are you getting fuel?

You should be able to tell if you have good compression by just cranking it and listening to the load on the starter.

Did you check your deck height? If your pistons are hitting the heads when they get warm it will lock her up.
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like you may have gotten your timing mark on the cam gear mixed up... Which if that is the case, would mean you'll need to disassemble the motor. Are you sure you lined up everything properly?

the gas/starting fluid issue could be somekind of vapor lock or something. I've had similar things happen to me while parked on hills pointing downhill. If I try to start the engine in this position, I catch on fire ( ask me how I know!).
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok to start off we have checked the timing on the engine (as far as we could without the engine running setting it up per Mr. Bently) Am I getting fuel yes, as soon as fuel of any sort hits the compression stroke the engine locks up. This is not vapor lock (pretty sure anyway) I can not get the engine to run long enough to get it warm (usually working on the engine after it gets dark and temp drops down to the 50's winter in florida gotta love it. Hope this helps
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it does lock up try removing the spark plugs and see if it still won't turn.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that you also changed out the hydraulic camshaft for a solid lifter camshaft.

Did you set the rocker arm geometry correctly?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t2mechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you prime the oil pump to gain oil pressure in the system????
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the camshaft different between hydrolic and solid lifter type IV's? If so that's my problem. When we rebuilt the engine we just did the top end of it (not splitting the case open)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerian159 wrote:
Is the camshaft different between hydrolic and solid lifter type IV's? If so that's my problem. When we rebuilt the engine we just did the top end of it (not splitting the case open)

There is a little difference in the ramps of the two cams. Assuming that your cam had a pretty close to a stock grind you are probably alright using hydraulic lifters on a solid cam. Did you change out your pushrods and rockers? You must use the correctly matched pushrods and rockers to get the hydraulics to work.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a solid lifter camshaft with solid lifters and get one made by the people that did the lifters as they have to be matched for hardness.

ie Webcam camshaft with Webcam lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: