Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interior touch-up paint ?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Interior touch-up paint ? Reply with quote

There are a few areas in my van I would like to touch-up. Specifically the posts for the tables, the bracket for the front table leg, and the metal band on the galley cabinets. I bought some spray can paint (Krylon) and did a test area on one of the legs. Although I was careful not overload the wet paint, it still just ran and streaked. Is this happening because of the original gloss paint? Any suggestions?
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be doing this too, I think you are right about the glossy paint affecting the touch up. I'll be sandblasting the whole thing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=257439&highlight=color+colour
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not long ago I did this and it came out just fine.
I scrubbed the brackets and legs with a fine scotch brite pad that was dipped in Lacquer thinner.
This cleaned off any crud and put a slight scratch pattern into the metal.

I primed everything a few times and when everything was as dry as a bone I sanded real lightly with 400 paper.
I dont use the black wet/dry paper I like the grey stuff...silicone carbide.

I tacked everything and applied many light coats of a quick dry metal enamel that matched the brown trim on the stove.

I think I used about 3/4 of a can on both legs and the bracket and since I had some paint left I did the heater vent in the passengers area.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to help your paint stick better. Clean up everything well. The first coat should be a misting much like overspray. If it is thick enough to run, it is 4 times too much. Let the first coat dry for 15 minutes or so, depending on temp and humidity. Then do another coat double the coverage of the first. Let dry again and the final coat will be your glossy full coverage. The first and second coat key to your original paint. The final keys to the first two and is less likely to run when sticking to its own composition, as the thinner component re-activates the first two and gets somewhat absorbed by them making it thicker.

If the coverage of your spray can is too wide, there is a simple fix. Cut a round hole in some thin cardboard. Hold the cardboard a few inches from your part and spray trough the hole with the can about 4" from the cardboard. This necks down the spray pattern to a small area, like an airbrush.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Interior touch-up paint ? Reply with quote

Make sure you shake the rattle can long enough to mix the paint. Then as already stated do light sprays and let dry or at least get a little tacky in between. Holding the can too close can also cause running.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog is absolutely right about misting one coat and letting it dry awhile before applying another coat.
This however only works on the type of finish we call a reactive finish. In other words if your using a Lacquer coating...the solvents in the coating which is Lacquer thinner will bite into the previous coating .This happens on the next coating and so on.....this allows for a smooth flow of the finish

If on the other hand your using a coating like I was....that being an oil based enamel that particular coating is refered to as a non reactive coating.
That means that the solvents, being paint thinner are not "hot" enough to bite into each other....the coats lay on top of each other.

If your using an oil based finish, its best to work a tad bit faster so the coating flows together.
Working to slow with an oil finish can cause orange peel.

Whatever finish you decide upon its best to experiment with it first B4 jumping into the actual project.
If you happen to have a piece of glass hanging around it makes a great sample piece to fool around with. A piece thats a foot square will suffice
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: