Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power steering rack rebuild.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbo550
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Power steering rack rebuild. Reply with quote

My rack is leaking like a sieve. Does anybody know the most cost effective way to fix it. Is there a place that you guys would recommend to rebuild it? Can it be done by me, I don't see any seal kits out there? Or is there a place that has a good used one?
1995 Volvo T5-R, Yellow
1998 Jetta GLX
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Westy still sells the reseal kits - they're not listed online but they do have them. Part # 251-498-020.

So does CIP1
http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-251-498-020.

Somewhere on The Samba, someone did a great write-up about a rack R&R, but I'll be damned if I can find it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a dirty job just putting a rack in - I'm glad I didn't have to rebuild it myself on top of that. My rack lasted 21 years so I was happy about just getting a new one in there and paying a few extra bucks. If you did the rebuild wrong and had to pull the whole thing out again - that would be a bummer indeed.

I understand about the saving the $$$ for other stuff, though.

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "search" reveals this
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=259700
You will save $225
dbo550
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill W wrote:
The "search" reveals this
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=259700
You will save $225

Just give me your address and i'll have this thing on the way to ya'. Very Happy
1995 Volvo T5-R, Yellow
1998 Jetta GLX
dbo550
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search on ebay and came across a pretty good deal. But in the listing it says that rack fits an infinti zx4 97-00 and the pathfinder 96-00. Is that true? Anybody have any knowledge of this? If this is true my local pull a part is full of those things.
1995 Volvo T5-R, Yellow
1998 Jetta GLX
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Power steering rack rebuild. Reply with quote

Just found this JP Group power steering rack RE-SEAL kit, on sale at AutoHausAZ for $19
P/N: 1144350610 JP Group Dansk

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Power steering rack rebuild. Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:
Just found this JP Group power steering rack RE-SEAL kit, on sale at AutoHausAZ for $19
P/N: 1144350610 JP Group Dansk

LOl, good fncking luck Laughing Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Power steering rack rebuild. Reply with quote

JP group is both a blessing and a curse.

In the past, this item has been available, and 'they say' it fits.
Samba member FrankenSubySyncro told me that he installed it using Alika's rack rebuild instructions (on theSamba)

I bought one, it was about $16 or so.
I still have it, didn't install it.
People say that Vanagon steering racks don't rebuild very well.
I don't know anything about the problems, or if its exacerbated by poor quality replacement seal kits.

Then I bought a whole new rack from GoWesty.
It could be a "JP Group" rack.
I can report that it's been good for 2,300 miles so far. Shocked
I also bought new rack boots.

And then I made some deal with Alika and he sent me a pair of Alika Motorsports silicone rack boots.👍🏽
So now I have everything to repair/rebuild a spare rack if the JP group unit gives me trouble.

I did not find rack removal/installation to be difficult.
You have to know how to get the tie-rod-end ball joints off without fooking things up.

One good thing about a previous rack that leaks like a sieve, your system has been flushed and is clean.
Total loss flushing is not the best for the environment, if your remaining PS fluid looks clean and clear, you may not have to waste any more resources.
Now is a good time to get a new power steering filter in-hand and ready. Maybe Napa has them?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Power steering rack rebuild. Reply with quote

Alikat3, I'm sorry I don't know what pile of crap I stepped in. can you tell me (us) what the problem is and a constructive solution? thanks.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
Van den Broke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Power steering rack rebuild. Reply with quote

Can the power steering rack simply be replaced with a manual rack?
The steel tubing running from my power steering pump to the rack and back is very rusty and sprang a leak.
I realize that I would have to put in an idler or other accomodation if the PS pump be removed.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Power steering rack rebuild. Reply with quote

Van den Broke wrote:
Can the power steering rack simply be replaced with a manual rack?
The steel tubing running from my power steering pump to the rack and back is very rusty and sprang a leak.
I realize that I would have to put in an idler or other accomodation if the PS pump be removed.

Not in stock at this time, but these replace the rusted steel lines...

https://vancafe.com/power-steering-lines-feed-return/
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Power steering rack rebuild. Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:
Alikat3, I'm sorry I don't know what pile of crap I stepped in. can you tell me (us) what the problem is and a constructive solution? thanks.

I made a whole how to here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620480 and advised multiple times on using the Gates or Edelmann kits only( they're the same). The JP Group seal kit is a joke, wrong seals, radial seals instead of axial seals etc...
Rockauto has them.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Power steering rack rebuild. Reply with quote

FWIW, my rack started leaking maybe 20 years ago (maybe 150-200K miles on the clock) and by 15 years ago I was having to add fluid every 1000 miles or so. At some point the only fluid I had around had an antileak additive in it and the rack has been dry ever since using it. It took me a while to realize I was not having to add fluid anymore as I was not expecting the leak to stop. Don't remember the brand of ATF or how many times I might have added it.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Power steering rack rebuild. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
FWIW, my rack started leaking maybe 20 years ago (maybe 150-200K miles on the clock) and by 15 years ago I was having to add fluid every 1000 miles or so. At some point the only fluid I had around had an antileak additive in it and the rack has been dry ever since using it. It took me a while to realize I was not having to add fluid anymore as I was not expecting the leak to stop. Don't remember the brand of ATF or how many times I might have added it.

Brake fluid. Add some brake fluid, after it stops leaking flush the system with new Dexron III high milage such as valvoline. YMMV it may last a little, it may last a lot. Depends on what the problem. If it's just a seal that has become stiff, it may condition it enough to seal up for a while.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: