Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lars B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

Outstanding workmanship.
Thanks for sharing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

A new update. The guys at HO have been busy getting the seat fixating system in place and finishing one seat frame to test it all out. It is quite an elaborate setup compared to the later bolt and wingnut fixing approach on the later cars.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

It’s bloody amazing that skill and dedication!
cory464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

unbelievable. were the seats made or are these originals?
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

Beautiful work on building this seat! I assume that the extended tubing end is there to allow some fore and aft adjustment? Interesting, the handbrake must be fully released before contacting that crossbar. Rear seat passengers would be well advised to keep their feet clear of those metal "fangs". Oops......that beach scene is not exactly focused on sun and sand.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

love the elegance and simplicity of the seats. Looks like it would not be difficult to improve the wingnut method to something somewhat user friendly

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Jack O'Neill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

Several orders of magnitude bellow, I've used a similar arrangement in my scale model - but my crossbar is a q-tip =)

Here they are, in various stages of development:

I never properly finished this model, since I got a new job (and eventually a new wife) shortly after those pictures were taken. Since this topic is active again, guess I'll take it out of storage and retrofit the historical details as they show up here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WrennMetallWerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

Very Kool and Motivating. Thanks for sharing 👊

Purpose Over Pleasure 🕊

“Hard Werk ⚒ God First “

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=0-PSeV52tZ4&si=wpcuRnQyvIFo2nCJ
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=PaCorLXzC5w&si=cbzT8fjlzVlIWfSV
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=_aoE5aYSutY&si=mkZKPxd_41QA1kfs
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=_NzUyyVexAE&feature=share
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=UI8yUrIWS7E&feature=share
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

All pictures on the build is really interesting to follow.
What we miss just like in the 38 thread is more detail on what original parts that have been found and some history about them and pictures.

Please for us who never come close to these historic cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we've seen the original parts, and the rest is well-informed fabrication.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we've seen the original parts, and the rest is well-informed fabrication.

Christian wrote in 2009 There is more that belongs to the chassis.

Christian wrote 2011 When looking for parts for the 38 we came across some orginal parts for typ 30 - but this will be a story later this year .

Tom wrote in 2009

This is really super first time I saw this type chassis.
But one time I sam some parts for this type chassis.
I dont have the camera so I dont have any pictures.
But I remember that it was gearbox and some parts fro the engine and front axel. And this parts was at one gut in Austria.
meaby it was from that same chassis?
I need to chack this.

Soo there is more parts.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
Stunning work!

Is there any plan what components as engine, axle and gearbox will be used? Did anything else pre 1938 survived like these cylinderheads in 1960?

I wonder if they are still there and if more parts survived...

That would nice to get a hold of those 1936 dual port heads and put them on a newer 25hp and see what hp can it get with those. Heads..anyone make replicas of them ??????
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
pastellgreen wrote:
Stunning work!

Is there any plan what components as engine, axle and gearbox will be used? Did anything else pre 1938 survived like these cylinderheads in 1960?

That would nice to get a hold of those 1936 dual port heads and put them on a newer 25hp and see what hp can it get with those. Heads..anyone make replicas of them ??????

The question I have to ask is - The picture appears to have been taken with all three heads actually sitting next to each other. The newest head is from a '60 so does that mean that one of those '36 heads was in existence at that time or was that a mockup or composited photo?

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
pastellgreen wrote:
Stunning work!

The question I have to ask is - The picture appears to have been taken with all three heads actually sitting next to each other. The newest head is from a '60 so does that mean that one of those '36 heads was in existence at that time or was that a mockup or composited photo?

The picture of the heads was just to show the difference in heads I guess.. the 1960 head is a 36hp cylinder head from 1959/60 the first type2 bastard engine it used a 64mm crank used 36hp rods compression was the same as the early 36hp so it was built like a 36hp so was it was known as a 36hp and later changed to 40hp as we know in late 1960 ...
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
pastellgreen wrote:
Stunning work!

The picture of the heads was just to show the difference in heads I guess.. the 1960 head is a 36hp cylinder head from 1959/60 the first type2 bastard engine it used a 64mm crank used 36hp rods compression was the same as the early 36hp so it was built like a 36hp so was it was known as a 36hp and later changed to 40hp as we know in late 1960 ...

Yes but you are missing the point. That picture was taken around 1960. That means whoever took the picture has a 1936 head to photograph.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
pastellgreen wrote:
Stunning work!

Yes but you are missing the point. That picture was taken around 1960. That means whoever took the picture has a 1936 head to photograph.

Oh yeah I know there its out there 😊 in come ones collection but who knows if they didn't take care of it or and junked them ...😣 but only time will tell when or if that person comes up and says here is one 🤞 and make repops of them easy said than done ...
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

Do any know that all three heads was in same place in the 1960s photography.
I think the light falls different on the heads on the pictures, early photoshop (cut and glue)?

Last edited by sweden on Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

sweden wrote:
Do any know that all three heads was [sic] in same place in the 1960s photography.
I think the light falls different on the heads on the pictures, early photoshop?

To be blunt; no.
1) given that said photograph dates to 1960 or so; Photoshop did not even exist for nearly thirty years. (1988 introduction of PS 1.0): https://creativeoverflow.net/history-of-photoshop-journey-from-photoshop-1-0-to-photoshop-cs5/
and 2) they all appear pretty evenly illuminated in the image being discussed.
Finally, assuming the earliest (1936) dual-port head; even if not present at the photo-shoot; would've been 'key lined' {composited} into the final version sent to printers for distribution. Idea
Still; a fascinating compendium of historical roots of VW engine design development. Exclamation Cool
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

Grant Reiling wrote:
sweden wrote:
Do any know that all three heads was [sic] in same place in the 1960s photography.
I think the light falls different on the heads on the pictures, early photoshop?

To be blunt; no.
1) given that said photograph dates to 1960 or so; Photoshop did not even exist for nearly thirty years. (1988 introduction of PS 1.0): https://creativeoverflow.net/history-of-photoshop-journey-from-photoshop-1-0-to-photoshop-cs5/
and 2) they all appear pretty evenly illuminated in the image being discussed.
Finally, assuming the earliest (1936) dual-port head; even if not present at the photo-shoot; would've been 'key lined' {composited} into the final version sent to printers for distribution. Idea
Still; a fascinating compendium of historical roots of VW engine design development. Exclamation Cool

There were systems that did a lot of what photoshop did before Photoshop. They weren't around in '60 though. They were very specialized and expensive. One such company was Crosfield Electronics, a British company. Photoshop put them all out of business.

usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 Prototype W30 chassis 26 Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:

Or had just pictures of a 1936 head and used them along with pics made of newer heads.

Back in the 50s 60s they cut and glued and brushed photos and negatives all the time. Not by computer of course, literally with scissors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: