Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Bus and Solar: Comprehensive Guide (Updated 4-17-09)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Most people do not really understand solar. I understand a great deal of the manufacturing process and am still an idiot in many technical respects. Its complex...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So are a lot of things and one would be crazy to think they have to know EVERYTHING about something before they can work with it.

Who cares how they're made? The consumer point sounds like the efficiency would be good to know for a given panel and build the system around that. Let's not micro-dissect this and over-complicate it. An idiot's guide is a great starter idea to get someone started and thinking. If one is really interested in the grimy nitty-gritty then they can readily find that info in the library and internet.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's Nigel? Shocked
TheTominator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like this thing could go the way of the tire sticky. That is, tons of never ending data and opinions. A lot of stuff to wade through, and you end up confused. Maybe motor oil is a better example. You can read till you drop about it, and still not be certain you are using the best product for your Bay.

This isn't a sticky yet, might not ever be. Personally, I think it could be two good stickies. One for the low budget campers, another for those interested in the latest and greatest greenery.

Here's a proposal for you Emmitt2222. Constantly edit your first post as you learn. Make it the ONE post people can go to and get a definitive answer on YOUR subject. Then they can read the other following 1000 posts, if they are so inclined. I kinda like the way I volunteered you Bud. If you don't feel like doing it, maybe someone else will.

If I can't curse, I can't fix it.
71 Bus
78 HD FXS Lowrider 1200cc
An Oldsmobile for crying out loud.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheTominator wrote:
Here's a proposal for you Emmitt2222. Constantly edit your first post as you learn. Make it the ONE post people can go to and get a definitive answer on YOUR subject. Then they can read the other following 1000 posts, if they are so inclined...

Great idea 100%! It'd be nice if more informative posts like this were done that way.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
barrysmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Where's Nigel? Shocked

ssssssssh..........my brain almost locked up reading the first page of this thread.
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump, but this is exactly what I suggested! To sink the cell into the luggage rack to keep it out of view for safety as well as wind resistance.... add a metal scissor frame to lift it out of the luggage rack and tilt it and you're set!

1977 2.0 FI Westy
2011 1200cc Yamaha Super Tenere
1976 Feet (they work surprisingly well)
TheTominator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's gonna turn out good TW. A suggestion though, what if you always try to park with one side facing south, (here in the U.S. at least). That way you could attach the south end of the panel with hinges to the rooftop. You could fabricate a rod for the north end that would allow you to prop the panel at different angles. Much simpler, I think.

71 Bus
TheTominator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Emmitt, "The Idiotic Guide" may already exist. Or, it might be what it purports to be.......

http://www.efficientplanetreview.net/

71 Bus
Emmitt2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheTominator wrote:
Hey Emmitt, "The Idiotic Guide" may already exist. Or, it might be what it purports to be.......

http://www.efficientplanetreview.net/

Spending money for information I can obtain freely? Not my style at all. Plus, I learn waaay more in the process of putting this all together myself.

Update: I have purchased the 160watt RV solar kit off of mrsolar.com and there are thus far some definite drawbacks to going with just a "package" instead of picking everything yourself, but I will go over that at another time.

Right now I would just like to show that I purchased the SunSaverDuo, just like aswah has, and did a very similar installation.

I took a power handsaw to my Bus! AAAaah! I was scared as hell, but knew that I could start small and always make the holes bigger until everything fit. It all worked out well, considering I have no experience doing any sort of handy work whatsoever.

Initial cut. Ugly as hell. But I eventually got a very good hole and the sides of the meter cover up any mistakes so no need to be perfect.

You can vaguely see the outline of where I drew the small slat I was planning to saw out to the left of the monitor. The wires will comes in from the back and plug into the front of the controller.

The controller fully installed. The electrical wires are not in place yet, but I can easily unscrew the front to plug the red-black wires and all extra wire stuff will be well concealed in the closet area. The one wire visible connects the monitor panel to the controller.

Next step is installing the battery and then onto the panels on the roof!
Emmitt2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spent my Sunday hooking up the car battery to the controller.

I drilled a hole into the bottom of the closet and brought the wire out there and then right down through metal engine cover. Then, I just ran the wire along the back of the firewall and through the side directly to the battery.

With the car battery wired, the controller and monitor are now operating, showing the stats for the battery.

I also used VHB tape to secure the two panels together today and will wait a few days for the tape to completely settle. Securing the panels to the roof is still going to give me the most trouble. I want to use the VHB tape exclusively if possible to avoid drilling so many holes into the top, but I have to make sure that it will hold them VERY secure.

Hopefully more pictures to come once I have the Deep Cycle installed under the Z-Bed and the panels on top.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious as to why people put a battery under the Z-bed when there's the other side of the engine bay that's wiiiiiiiide open? That's where I put mine.
The First Invasion
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you choose to mount on your top/pop-top, you may want to consider a pin/hinge system so that you can remove your panel to:
A) Storage / Theft-Prevention
B) Park in the shade, position/place panel in the sun (use a tripod stand).

I'm sure there are some RV/Solar sites that sell the tripod set up --- some vendors like GW have created a mounting kit and tripod set up.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
Emmitt2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:
Curious as to why people put a battery under the Z-bed when there's the other side of the engine bay that's wiiiiiiiide open? That's where I put mine.

I would like to do this, but I am going to be getting a 110Ah battery that weighs 75 lbs. I haven't done the measurements on it yet, but I have a hard time believing it will fit there. Also, I am going to be doing all of my wiring for the dc plugs and lighting from the large battery so I think that will be much much easier to handle under the z-bed than in the engine compartment where I will have to run many more wires inside and outside of the bus.

That is my logic anyway for the moment. I may give it a try at first in the engine compartment. It sure would leave a lot more open space.
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to consider a series of smaller deep cycle batteries instead - easier to lift/handle, easier to distribute/fit into available space. Plus this gives you greater flexibility for building as much back up power as you need.

You referenced WestyVentures in your original post. Note that Karl used a series of four (4) wheel chair batteries (22a/h x 4 = 88a/h) to outfit his latest project. Although he did this in a Vanagon Westy, the same principle of connecting a series of deep cycle batteries will work in your Bay Westy as well. The batteries don't have to be right next to each other, just need to connect them in a series for this to work.

Of course you can use any size of deep cycle you'd like - for example, you could use 3 x 44a/h instead.

See this link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=312129&highlight=wheelchair+battery

As you set up your system - consider setting up a shore power option for your charging system. You never know when that might come in handy (especially if it's free or if you're at a campground where hook ups are provided...don't forget to check the campground amperage before connecting - if you only have 15amp capacity for AC power, you'll want to make sure you have a converter plug (30a to 15a) - many campsites are now 30amps).

You'll also want to think about an automatic battery isolator/switch...if your leisure batteries are fully charged, why not have your solar panel charge your starter battery as well?

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
kennypg79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Real world my job is a sustainable energy Consultant, ans i spend alot of time doing sums on energy efficiency and renewable supply..... so when i got to my bus, i couldn't help doing all the maths. I was also doing a night course in domestic sustainable energy, and i asked the kind lecturer could i swap a house for the bus for my main assignment. It was "design a renewable energy system" I was in the process of doing all the wiring, so wiring sizing, load analysis, energy requirements, wind and solar, paybacks etc. I can send it on if anyone is interested in reading, it's only food for thought if you are going to install leisure electrics.

I have a Waeco 35l fridge and it has run for 6 days on my 110ah battery in 25 celcius ~ 80 F. It might have lasted longer, but that was all that was needed.... which brngs me to the point.

<4 days out and about, the LB does most of the work on one charge.
4-10 days, either a good spin or a plug in and recharge would keep me topped up, and in most cases if i head off in the van, i will not be stationary for more than 3 days, so it's a moot point. I mean that your trip length and type determines your need for solar.

If you are moving around a bit, short stays etc. then solar is not for you. If you are stationary, then perhaps you don't need to put it on the bus at all.... it could be "deployed" where you are staying.

My initial ideal goal was to stick flexible solar panels on the roof, but the poor efficiency and high cost detered me. In 3-5 years they will be available for half the price and maybe 50% better efficiency (at current trends).... so the wise man will wait.
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Increasingly, I've been thinking about a removable solar panel option... I am stationary for long periods in the bus, and this particular panel seems pretty interesting. Charges laptops (my main draw) directly, but also charges car batteries. 50 inch roll, park in the shade, unroll it in the sun, waterproof, lock it up at night, featherweight, fairly cheap (500 bucks for the most expensive unit), no bus mods needed..... maybe a good choice?

http://www.inhabitat.com/2007/11/19/the-go-anywhere-solar-gadget-charger/

1977 2.0 FI Westy
2011 1200cc Yamaha Super Tenere
1976 Feet (they work surprisingly well)
Emmitt2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TW,

That portable solar looks like a good idea because it is so convenient, but you will always sacrifice money and charging power when you go with something flexible like that. But my laptop is also going to be one of my biggest energy hogs, so if you could get something like that to do the same job my setup does for way less work and $1,000 less, might as well!

I have been making more progress with my solar, but it is slow going because I am trying to make sure everything is done correctly.

I finally picked out my deep cycle battery. I explored the option of having many smaller golf cart batteries hooked up in parallel, but decided to just go with one battery to keep things as simple as possible. I have enough to worry about with wiring that I didn't want to be doing any more than necessary.

I chose the Concorde AGM PVX-1080T Sealed Deep Cycle Battery, 108 Amp Hour 12 Volt

http://store.solar-electric.com/pvx-12105.html

This battery seemed to be a good choice because the company is considered the gold standard for deep cycle. As previously outlined, I determined that around 110AH battery would be best. There is a 104AH and 108AH battery available from Concord, but I decided to get the 108 for $20 more and 13 extra pounds.

The reason I decided to spend extra (and take on more weight) was because of the rate of discharge. The 108AH battery can actually last up to several hours more when used on a daily basis. A chart on the battery webpage shows the rating of the batteries when discharged over different periods of time and the 108AH conserves AH's better even when discharged quickly.

At this point, I have the SunSaver Duo installed, the car battery hooked up and the deep cycle installed under the z-bed. I went with taking up space under the z-bed instead of using the space in the engine compartment because, once again, I wanted to go for ease of use. With the battery in an easy to reach location, it will be simpler for me to hook up my electronics to it and I also plan on installing several DC sockets into the wood under z-bed right next to the AC plugs.

Now, all I need is the solar panels on my roof and I am completely set up! Unfortunately, I am still struggling to figure this last piece out. I have VHB tape, I have cheap brackets and screws from Mr. Solar and I also have more heavy duty brackets from Home Depot. I am not really happy with any of these choices at the moment, though, so I am still looking for any input on this area if possible.

So, anyone have ideas? If I did some sort of hinged bracket that I could remove the panels from, how would that work? I want to put as few holes as possible while still making absolutely sure that those panels aren't going anywhere.
dubluvv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traveling Writer wrote:
Sorry to bump, but this is exactly what I suggested! To sink the cell into the luggage rack to keep it out of view for safety as well as wind resistance.... add a metal scissor frame to lift it out of the luggage rack and tilt it and you're set!

DUDE! thats my pic! haha.

Mitch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
naynay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, heres my 2 cents- I am an electronics student, and while doing research for a project, I found a website that explained how to build your own solar panels from "common hardware store" materials. and as I recall, it was a Lot cheaper.....
just a thought, and something I was planning on getting around to researching further in my "spare" time- which looks a lot like my "spare" change these days... Shocked
I looked for that link, and couldn't find it- but this one had a lot of interesting info- and More Links!
http://ezinearticles.com/?Do-it-Yourself-Solar-Pan...id=1648349

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you Can do." - John Wooden
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emmitt2222 wrote:
...I have been making more progress with my solar, but it is slow going because I am trying to make sure everything is done correctly...

Thank you for taking the time to explain your what & why and provide links. If only more people were this thorough Applause
The First Invasion
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: