Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Type 3 today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 212, 213, 214 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Tough spot for a repair like that. Looks decent enough and should hold you for a bit.

Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

I STARTED UP MY FRESH REBUILT ENGINE!!!
Woo Hoo!!!

https://youtu.be/Iq_JkwimqYI
catbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Working on rebuilding my enthusiasm for my car.

That is a big thing to restart again as it has all but been lost for a couple of years.

Very Happy
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Well, I danced the Vermont Shuffle, and scored a title for my 69 SB project. If you are not aware of the procedure, it works like this. Vermont did not have titles for cars in the 60's, and still does not issue them. You can register a 60's car there with just a bill of sale, pay the tax and you can have plates and a registration. Take that registration to your own state DMV and they will recognize you as the rightful owner and should grant you a valid title. It all sounded to good to be true, and it was.. In Vermont they tax you on NADA value of a car, not what you paid for it. The NADA book is a dealer guide, and probably is used to find out how much they can lend/borrow on a car. Anybody want to guess the NADA value on a 69 SB with no engine, sat for 45 years? Yep, you were right. They politely informed me that my car was valued at $12,450 USD and I should submit 6% of that for my $23.00 plates.
Just when you think you've got them, you turn around and zing!! Really, though, now I can move on with the car. The option was to open a case ($300) in local court and plead my case to a judge for a court ordered title. That would take time, driving, and may not even work. At least this way I get a cool single $770 Vermont plate!
.65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

catbox wrote:
Working on rebuilding my enthusiasm for my car.
That is a big thing to restart again as it has all but been lost for a couple of years.

Very Happy

Bummer, motivation comes and goes.

My Notchback's idle speed/RPM seemed to be way to low and the notchback was almost stalling when I would stop at a light or stop sign when I took the notch out earlier this summer.

I found/read the Look, Listen, Do it Better twin carb booklet and read up and was all set to do a little first time tweaking of a dual carb setup (I have the tools/flow gauge given to me by the previous owner).

Today as I removed the air cleaner to focus on the carb settings I found that the intake manifold on the drivers side was loose and able to move back and forth, the bolts holding the manifold to the head were both loose.

The front bolt was a pain to get to but with both bolts tightened down the notchback idles like is should again.

A small victory but I know the dual carb adjustment is going to come up some day Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FartsMcFarty Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Adjusted valves on my 69 Fastback yesterday afternoon. First time for me doing valves by myself. I am so grateful for that tattered copy of John Muir's guide which was included with the purchase of a project Beetle still pending completion. I once tried to adjust valves on a Beetle myself about eighteen years ago. Now I know why and how I messed that one up, a bit embarrassing but I'm laughing today. "If I had known then..." I waited until the Fastback was driven approx. 3000 miles to perform this task. John Muir wrote that if we drive in dirty/dusty areas, over bumpy/harsh roads, then we ought to be doing valve jobs every 1500 miles or maybe every 2 months. I do look forward to the next adjustment with the confidence gained yesterday.

Pulled out my speedometer which stopped working about two months ago. Been using the GPS on my phone for the MPH info. but the battery gets drained fast and the wireless service throttled my service. I was disgusted to find a brand new speedometer cable had snapped, it was approximately 4 months old. Installed the original speedometer cable that came with the car, noticed the original cables are thicker and stronger than the new eBay cable.

Oil replaced with Red Line 10w40. Forgot to order an oil filter gasket so this is a priority for the next session.

Cool
1969 Type III Fastback
1971 Type II
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

New shoes Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HDCBL721W8

I drove my 69 SB for the first time it has moved under its own power for the first time in 45 years. 1974 the engine was removed and the car parked.
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

had the new pan dropped off at my house and started removing old burnt dynamat.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

DQDan wrote:

I drove my 69 SB for the first time it has moved under its own power for the first time in 45 years. 1974 the engine was removed and the car parked.

What? Already! Thats sweet!

Good job. Little tuning needed? Sounds like its making popcorn. Laughing Popcorn

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

DQDan wrote:

Very cool. A little fine tuning and it should be good to go. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Continued scrapping burnt Dynamat and sanding rust off the new pan I picked up. Looking to coat the pan in the next week or so so i can bolt on the suspension and put the body on it.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

After more than two decades apart, I was able to finally get the original engine back under the same roof as the Notch that I've had for 11 years! Hope I can get it together in fewer years to come!!!

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

I installed a alternator. I then played with colour schemes fro my new to me rims I am eventually going to mount. I am unsure about the red, I feel like it might be a bit much.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
I installed a alternator. I then played with colour schemes fro my new to me rims I am eventually going to mount. I am unsure about the red, I feel like it might be a bit much.

I personally like Pedrini's in black, haven't gotten around to doing mine yet. Also are your rims polished or is that the rough as cast finish?

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

nogoodwithusernames wrote:

I personally like Pedrini's in black, haven't gotten around to doing mine yet. Also are your rims polished or is that the rough as cast finish?

I'm thinking black as well a gun metal grey. Not polished yet. Crappy silver paint from the PO. I still have to actually refinish them. The red was a 5 min rattle can job to see what it looks like.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
nogoodwithusernames wrote:

I'm thinking black as well a gun metal grey. Not polished yet. Crappy silver paint from the PO. I still have to actually refinish them. The red was a 5 min rattle can job to see what it looks like.

Black or gun metal will look gook good on them. The red isn't doing it for me though.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

I like them gray like Glenn has his.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BornMexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Got this ‘71 a few weeks ago. Nice and stock. Just taking her out to get to know her.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Looks a lot like Oppenhimer.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 212, 213, 214 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Jump to:
Page 213 of 224

Jump to: