Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Type 3 today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 201, 202, 203 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevo Wide 5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Installed new rear hatch seal, engine lid seal and the small seal to close off interior at the back to keep out engine and exhaust fumes! What a difference! Money very well spend!! Also installed a german weave rear carpet to preserve the brittle gray rubber mat!!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Check out my Aircooled blog @ http://stevo.skyblogs.be
Wide 5 Vintage Volkswagen Club
http://www.wide5.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JONSMITHBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

drilled out the jets and found my problem,drank a beer and looked at her and told her i loved her and felt some relief after a week of hair pulling,,,now ill do it all over again tomorrow because i traded my nice 2001 daily for it,,,my new daily,,,yay
stonecoldcars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Installed a new upper steering column bushing so I know longer having a floating steering wheel. Soooo much nicer. Also scored a super nice wood steering wheel from my dad he purchased back in 1968 while he was stationed in Germany. I haven't installed it yet cause I'm still working on the new interior, but It will look killer in my fasty.
JONSMITHBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

tires!
Rustwagon88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Did a bunch of work on the front end today...

NEW:
upper ball joints
lower ball joints
rotors
wheel bearings
calipers
brake pads
fluids
brake lines

Refitting those metal brake lines from the master cylinder to the reservoir is a huge painnnnnnn

savannanotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Question , Can anybody out there comment on the origin of this oiled foam that is located above the trunk latch bolt on my 69 Notchback. I suspect it is very old as it is somewhat deteriorated. It still is soft and obviously saturated with oil for a reason. Just seems unusual to me .

Question
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

That foam doesn't belong there I don't believe. I've found it under the rear fenders, on the air intake box corner.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evilgtiguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Started putting my pan together

92 Nissan 240SX turbo
Stevo Wide 5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Got the rest of the squareweave carpet set from Fabrik Mike to complement the interior!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

savannanotch wrote:
Question , Can anybody out there comment on the origin of this oiled foam that is located above the trunk latch bolt on my 69 Notchback. I suspect it is very old as it is somewhat deteriorated. It still is soft and obviously saturated with oil for a reason. Just seems unusual to me .

:?:

That Foam is probably from the spare tire block/wedge that came on the '68/'69 models to keep the spare tire from rattling.
savannanotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

It's on the rear hatch lid.
Stevo Wide 5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Adjusted the valves today and she runs like new again!!Purrs like a kitten!!

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

savannanotch wrote:
It's on the rear hatch lid.

My guess is one of the PO's added it there to stop a rattle, as normally there isn't anything like that there.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
savannanotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Bobnotch . Its still a bit of a mystery to me ,the previous owner was an Italian Dentist I don't see him even putting a wrench to the car . He sent it to the shop for any and all work . But I suppose a sloppy mechanic could have been looking for a short cut . The latch is solid ,never rattled.
My best guess is it was used as a convenient spot to keep something to wipe the dipstick. That would explain why it is well oiled.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Stevo Wide 5 wrote:
Got the rest of the squareweave carpet set from Fabrik Mike to complement the interior!

Stevo looking sick Cool What's the 411 with Fabrik Mike? Does he make full kits?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

savannanotch wrote:
Thanks for the input Bobnotch . Its still a bit of a mystery to me ,the previous owner was an Italian Dentist I don't see him even putting a wrench to the car . He sent it to the shop for any and all work . But I suppose a sloppy mechanic could have been looking for a short cut . The latch is solid ,never rattled.
My best guess is it was used as a convenient spot to keep something to wipe the dipstick. That would explain why it is well oiled.

Except normally there's a vinyl covered panel over that opening, so you wouldn't see the latch assembly.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
squareback66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Took a sawzall to it.

OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Finally got back to working on the T34 (Miss Molly) front end restoration.
The caliper restoration started months ago:

Rebuilt calipers, using Ray's excellent write up on the subject are now installed:

The new master cylinder is installed and plumbed to all four corners:

I uninstalled the steering box, that I rebuilt last summer when that whole rabbit trail started. Now that I can rebush the cover; I tore it completely down and started over.----much better:

State of the front section now with refurbished beam, steering box, calipers. And new tie rod ends, steering damper, and master cylinder:

Tomorrow, figure out the plumbing between the master cylinder and the reservoir.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djbeverly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Picked up my narrowed front end from autowerks....and almost got the motor ready! Excited!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Tried to move the 70 Square closer to the shop, only to bury it in the soft ground. Then hooked up a tow strap, to see about getting it out, only to try and bury the tow car. Called it a day, after covering 1 side of the Square in mud. Sorry no pics, as I'm too embarrassed to show the mess we made. Embarassed Laughing

On the plus side, we moved Rob's car into the shop, so he can get back to working on it. Yesterday we even dropped the engine, so we can get some room to weld the rear bumper mounts on. I didn't take any pics, but he did. Very Happy
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 201, 202, 203 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Jump to:
Page 202 of 224

Jump to: