Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Type 3 today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 203, 204, 205 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Dude, you should have started a build thread to dump all those pics in. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Rob and I picked up some carbon fiber cloth for building his roof this winter.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Scoured the internet hunting for a new one Very Happy
'68 Squareback

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
www.evenkeelsurfshapes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65 misty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Today im gonna put on my new stickers. Just took my square off non op. Refurbish plates😎
Stevo Wide 5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Installed new points, spark plugs and wires! Purrrs like a kitten now
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Check out my Aircooled blog @ http://stevo.skyblogs.be
Wide 5 Vintage Volkswagen Club
http://www.wide5.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
StephenDerek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

I took the drivers side door apart and removed the wing window, the glass and all the trim. now got to sand to get ready for painting

Sixty66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Bought the damn thing. Drove it from Reno to Las Vegas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Sixty66 wrote:

Lucky! I was the next buyer if you fell through. Congrats on the car - it looks sweet.
'68 Squareback

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
www.evenkeelsurfshapes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sixty66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

OhHerrooo wrote:
Sixty66 wrote:
[img]https

Lucky! I was the next buyer if you fell through. Congrats on the car - it looks sweet.

Just sitting, waiting for a garage this week to start on it.

Build thread to follow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
StephenDerek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

dropped my engine in the process of getting a rebuild and also getting ready to paint the body

Stevo Wide 5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Changed the side markers wiring so they work as turnindicators on the Notch!

Getting her ready to have a full tune up , new air bellow installed and all other things needed !

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

I'm not much into posting project updates, but recent work on my 1965 sunroof Variant has inspired a rant that I think ought to be public.

I've been working on getting this car back on its original pan. This poor thing was neglected and left to rot for many years, so I'm dealing with not only full replacement of floor pan halves, but rust that crept up from the floor to the tunnel flange and even to the upright portion of the tunnel. Nasty nasty nasty.

Here's some of that tunnel rust:

Anyway, another thing I'm dealing with as I bring this chassis back from the grave is reattaching the clutch cable tube, which had apparently broken free at some point in the past. The rearmost attachment point has broken free (which should be an easy-ish fix), and a previous owner had hacked an embarrassingly crude hole into the side of the tunnel just rear of the seat belt mounts. What'd he do there? Bolted a muffler clamp half around the tubes to keep them from moving. I chuckled a bit when I saw that, because although it's a gross hack, it's at least fairly resourceful. I even thought of keeping it in place as a tribute to the poor guy, who was no doubt just trying to keep his car on the road. It's rough out there, right? Check out his handywork:

Well, sanity prevailed, and last night I decided that muffler clamp had to go. So I take the thing out, and what do I find? The clutch cable is solidly attached at the factory point an inch forward of where the PO "fixed" it! So he hacked a hideous hole in the tunnel (how do you even cut something that poorly?!) then "fixed" something that didn't even need fixing, all the while ignoring the ACTUALLY BROKEN attachment point at the rear. The rearmost attachment point, I would like to note, is the easiest one to inspect. Brick wall
Stevo Wide 5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

She is back from a very well needed tune up and some maintenance !
Here is my list:
New NOS Air bellow
New NOS 2 rear brake cylinders
Fresh oil
Fresh transmission oil
NOS Points
NOS Distributor cap
New Bosch Plugs
NOS Rotor
Rebuild of OG Carburator
Lubing of front beam
New fan belt
Hooking up heating
Running wires for the Tacho that is coming!!!!!!

Thanks to Mario from T3HQ for the NOS parts!
Thanks to Kevin from The Dub Cave for all work done!!!
She purrs like a kitten now and runs like new!!!

blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

What I did today is decide to look at this section of the T-3 forum for a change .

I just looked at this last page I saw photo's of car that look like new , some were so rusted they reminded me of quite a few 50's and 60's cars , pickups and vans I had with different phases and amounts of rust they all had. Two were air cooled VW's . My first one a 66 red bug , needed transport because winter of 1970 all this was back in IL I had my first new car 79 Ford Falcon 2 DR 302 V8 3 speed stick did some changes to make it personal , long story short drove it back to IL got to Tenn and from there drove a totaled car back home sold my 70 Harley and got the 66 . A 68 Ghia convertible that the floor was always wet lifted the carpet looked like some one used a shotgun on the floor , traced an old fridge with the carpet cut out 4 replacement floor sections and caulked and pop riveted them in place. 61 white corvair 2 door red int 4 speed no rust from a dry state my first engine rebuild used the 164 CI cylinders instead if 144 CI because you could .

I have to admire those who take a car who I would say was past ALL hope or caring and bring it back as new. I know rust .

Saw one photo of what my Brown Bentley manual used to look like bought new in 85 so worn now I should have bought two.

Sort of takes my mind off my 73 SB that I did paint replace one rear apron and got it looking like new did all the work myself that now since I got it in 85 was my only transport after 1991 . Takes my mind off because I've been dealing with a few issues since 2014 where certain things had to be down and i'm not done yet . There comes a point where it's difficult to keep up . I keep finding things like the door windows rubber trim and carpet are just not what they used to be.

I am more focused on a few small , one medium fuel pump upgrade and one--- hope it's not worse than it could be mechanical issues.
Stevo Wide 5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Installed an ISP West tacho in my notchback!!

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
What I did today is decide to look at this section of the T-3 forum for a change .

I just looked at this last page I saw photo's of car that look like new , some were so rusted they reminded me of quite a few 50's and 60's cars , pickups and vans I had with different phases and amounts of rust they all had. Two were air cooled VW's . My first one a 66 red bug , needed transport because winter of 1970 all this was back in IL I had my first new car 79 Ford Falcon 2 DR 302 V8 3 speed stick did some changes to make it personal , long story short drove it back to IL got to Tenn and from there drove a totaled car back home sold my 70 Harley and got the 66 . A 68 Ghia convertible that the floor was always wet lifted the carpet looked like some one used a shotgun on the floor , traced an old fridge with the carpet cut out 4 replacement floor sections and caulked and pop riveted them in place. 61 white corvair 2 door red int 4 speed no rust from a dry state my first engine rebuild used the 164 CI cylinders instead if 144 CI because you could .

I have to admire those who take a car who I would say was past ALL hope or caring and bring it back as new. I know rust .

Saw one photo of what my Brown Bentley manual used to look like bought new in 85 so worn now I should have bought two.

Sort of takes my mind off my 73 SB that I did paint replace one rear apron and got it looking like new did all the work myself that now since I got it in 85 was my only transport after 1991 . Takes my mind off because I've been dealing with a few issues since 2014 where certain things had to be down and i'm not done yet . There comes a point where it's difficult to keep up . I keep finding things like the door windows rubber trim and carpet are just not what they used to be.

I am more focused on a few small , one medium fuel pump upgrade and one--- hope it's not worse than it could be mechanical issues.

Oh, I know rust as well. In fact we're on a first name basis. And living in the "salt belt" will keep me there. I can't begin to tell you how many cars and trucks I've repaired over the years (both for myself and for friends). In fact it was how we rebuilt my son's car that got Neil to contact me about a "Krunchy" 71 Notchback. That car was the worst I ever rebuilt. It was worse than building my son's car out of nothing but junk parts, or rebuilding my old T-34 that had been sitting in a field since 1968 before Russ bought it.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Stevo Wide 5 wrote:
Installed an ISP West tacho in my notchback!!

Stevo - looking sick brother Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Sixty66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Continued tearing down. Removed trim peices, flattened a few dings, smoothed over a couple chips. Found a scoche of cancer on the front fender bottom corners, may just sand till flat and primer over.

Found this.

LandalftheGray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

I'm home!! After being gone for about 4 months, I pulled The Dutchman out of its hibernation and gave it a wax and tune. Runs beautifully and feels great getting back on the road✌🏼

View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bad1916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

I handed the keys to my 63 to my son for his 16th birthday. He's a great kid kicking ass in school, working and playing sports. He's definitely got some work ahead of him to make it road worthy so should be updating the thread soon with pics and stupid questions.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 203, 204, 205 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Jump to:
Page 204 of 224

Jump to: