Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Type 3 today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 205, 206, 207 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Took it out for a 15 minute drive after installing a new engine and transmission. A little tweak to the carburetors and it'll be golden.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Looks clean Josh! Is this the car with the rear discs?
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Took it out for a 15 minute drive after installing a new engine and transmission. A little tweak to the carburetors and it'll be golden.

Beautiful! Cool Congrats on your final product there.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Looks clean Josh! Is this the car with the rear discs?

Yes, it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

Thanks...but it's far from finished! I have only upgraded the braking system, replaced the engine and transmission...the full pan/body restoration awaits.

I had to 're-learn' a few things during this process. It's been over 20 years since I've done this much work on a Variant. I had it all installed a week ago - only to learn it had the wrong Type 3 hockey stick installed so I had to take it all back out and swap the nose cone and hockey stick. This car is always teaching me something new - usually when I'm least willing to learn.

This was a good trial run for the restoration in the future...I get to drive it for a while and do small things along the way. I'm going to rebuild the doors next - the windows are stiff and the scrapers are pretty well shot.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
MonT3 wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

Thanks...but it's far from finished! I have only upgraded the braking system, replaced the engine and transmission...the full pan/body restoration awaits. I had to 're-learn' a few things during this process. It's been over 20 years since I've done this much work on a Variant.

Thought this one was the car shell that you had sent pics from during my build. Might be mistaken. Either way, it's a very nice looing car...beautiful indeed.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
MonT3 wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

Thanks...but it's far from finished! I have only upgraded the braking system, replaced the engine and transmission...the full pan/body restoration awaits. I had to 're-learn' a few things during this process. It's been over 20 years since I've done this much work on a Variant.

Thought this one was the car shell that you had sent pics from during my build. Might be mistaken. Either way, it's a very nice looing car...beautiful indeed.

Ah, no - that was probably a 65 N model that I sold before I moved to Georgia. That car is in good hands and will be pretty sweet when it's done. If it wasn't that car, it was a 65 S that I bought and had to part out due to body wrinkling and rust...there are a few pieces of that car on this 64.
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Went and picked up my tins from my buddy's shop so I can get them powdercoated. Checked out his work in replacing my battery tray - stoked to be rust free! Newly built 1776 should be ready in the next couple weeks!

'68 Squareback

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
www.evenkeelsurfshapes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

USPS man delivered my super-clean OG hurst shifter!

'68 Squareback

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
StephenDerek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

still workin on my engine and tinware........finally got a set of flaps and rods to restore the thermostat function..............WOOHOOO

PS gonna take the tins back off and take good pics of the flaps and connecting rods soon
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

dual carb manifolds and single carb oil bath?

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
StephenDerek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

its a FI oil bath air cleaner Im gonna do some creative working to hook it to my carbs...............PS thanks to BooKoo for all the type 3 parts https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=17427
StephenDerek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

kinda like this pic
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Disassembled the driver's side door and cleaned the shell, cleaned the window regulator, door lock and prepared it all for rebuild. I'm going to take the passenger's side apart as well - might as well rebuild both of them while I'm at it.

Nothing beats doors that open/close properly without squeaks, windows that roll up/down easily and door locks that are smooth!

Got most of the old glue/adhesive off of the door shell:

Nice to find a super clean inner door drain area:

Super clean! Very Happy
notchbldr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

After almost 22 years I got her back on the road!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Awesome!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

StephenDerek wrote:
still workin on my engine and tinware........finally got a set of flaps and rods to restore the thermostat function..............WOOHOOO

PS gonna take the tins back off and take good pics of the flaps and connecting rods soon

If you look in the Parts/Accessories type 3 section of the Gallery under my name (enter Bobnotch in the search section), you'll find a half a page of me removing a complete set of flaps and the connecting rod. You'll want to start at the bottom of the page and work your way up, as the Gallery loaded them that way (start at bottom, finish at top). In your case though, you can just follow them down, since you'll be assembling them. I posted up removing them, so others could see what parts are missing from their own, and IF someone wanted to re-install them.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Cashed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Put on trim rings and moons onto a set of freshly painted 5.5” smoothies. Replaced some vacuum lines, rigged venting from fan shroud via elbows (new shroud to elbow seals) to heaterboxes (VS stainless muffler went in last week). Replaced reserve light switch (leaking). Cleaned up injectors, threw in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner into a full tank of high octane and took Kürbis for a spin.
1972 Type 3 - FI/Automatic “Kürbis” - sold
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kai4130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Not today but last week.

Fitted my remotec A's.

OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Kai4130 wrote:
Not today but last week.

Fitted my remotec A's.

I dig the look of those fender flares
'68 Squareback

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 205, 206, 207 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Jump to:
Page 206 of 224

Jump to: