Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Squareback - Back of rear seat - Restore, refurbish, replace?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NerdyGunny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:17 am    Post subject: Squareback - Back of rear seat - Restore, refurbish, replace? Reply with quote

The back side of my rear seat is in need of help. I'm a little leery getting very aggressive with the cleaning and dressing of this area as the rubber mat that was back there was totally faded and crispy. Dont want to risk putting something that will ruin it

What have you found as a good method to clean?

How about to restore or refurbish? what products?

Is there even an option to replace?

the first pic taken from the outside is mine (don't have a pic of the interior)...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the second pic is just a grab from the internet
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vermonterbpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Squareback - Back of rear seat - Restore, refurbish, replace? Reply with quote

I too would like to know what's available. Mine is cracked and falling apart...I'd love to know if there is a replacement option.
'73 Beetle vert...a long ways away.
'57 sedan...may look at the pieces forever...
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Squareback - Back of rear seat - Restore, refurbish, replace? Reply with quote

Our new rear cargo mats are a little thick, so I'm not entirely sure if this will still work...but we used to take a rear cargo mat, trace it, cut it, and pop it in there. It is large enough to cover the area and matches the original style pretty closely.

Not sure about these thicc-boy mats though. Just an idea.

https://vwispwest.com/rear-lugage-area-rubber-cargo-mat-361863717d/

I'd really like to make this mat and I'm pushing for it. But there are different versions, etc...we need a golden sample...the tooling is very expensive...yadda yadda.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NerdyGunny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Squareback - Back of rear seat - Restore, refurbish, replace? Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
Our new rear cargo mats are a little thick, so I'm not entirely sure if this will still work...but we used to take a rear cargo mat, trace it, cut it, and pop it in there. It is large enough to cover the area and matches the original style pretty closely.

Not sure about these thicc-boy mats though. Just an idea.

https://vwispwest.com/rear-lugage-area-rubber-cargo-mat-361863717d/

I'd really like to make this mat and I'm pushing for it. But there are different versions, etc...we need a golden sample...the tooling is very expensive...yadda yadda.

Hmmm… interesting. I may consider that. It would actually be perfect as i just installed that rear area mat.

Thank you for the suggestion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Squareback - Back of rear seat - Restore, refurbish, replace? Reply with quote

Yeah, as far as leaning the one in the OP's post, I don't know what would work. Keep in mind those are some sort of salt stain that was mixed with water and allowed to dry out. Short of using SEM paint or replacement, I don't think there's anything that will remove the stains. I suppose you could try CLR, or even MEK with a scuff pad, but I doubt it'll work.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: