Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabowman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, major design issue. I have a fairly fresh trany in my van, it it's leaking like mad around the drive flanges. About a half an inch of crud caked over the entire front of the trans case. I couldn't tell there was a separation in the case there, let alone a breather hole. I drive dirt roads a fair bit, and I'm just not even willing to mess around with this again.

This is my fix:

1. Cleaned area with brush and solvent while holding vacuum up to area

2. Sanded down the end of 1 inch section of steel brake line to about .1 mm larger than the hole (approx. 4mm), creating a press fit

3. gently tapped the steel tube into the hole with a hammer

4. put a long section of vacuum tubing over the tube, haven't decided where to route yet

I sucked on the tube to make sure the steel tube didn't bottom out inside the chamber and essential block the hole. If you suck for a while you can feel the vacuum pressure building inside the transmission, and it "wooshes" when you take your mouth off.

simple fix, took five minutes and some extra crap lying around the garage. Good luck doing it with the trans in the vehicle...

If I rebuild my trans I will absolutely be drilling and tapping a 1/8 NPT hole for a brass nipple. You could probably do it with the trans together, but need some serious vacuum and a lot of careful measuring without being able to see the inside of the case.

I'm shocked that none of the trans rebuilders do anything to fix this (or maybe some do?) It's extremely cheap and easy to fix, and what a big problem..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great fix, and thanks for the picture, jabowman. I like your modification... reminds me of what 4x4 guys do to vent their drivetrain. The tube will really let you get it out of the way and venting in a safe spot. Nice job.
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jabowman wrote:
...If you suck for a while you can feel the vacuum pressure building inside
the transmission, and it "wooshes" when you take your mouth off...

Yeah, man...I LOVE the taste of gear oil in the morning... Wink

Nice fix.

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually going to suggest that you not place a constant vacuum on your trans - especially if you know your seals are leaking.

4X4 folks do put extended hoses on their drivetrain component vents, but they simply route them together up to a high spot on the vehicle where water ingress is prevented. They don't place the line onto an engine vacuum source as you are doing.

The reason I suggest you not do this is that you will have a constant bit of water migrating through your seals due to the vacuum inside. Dirty water with road chemicals, and the fine grit in it is constantly tossed on them on a rainy day. This will rapidly degrade the seals as they'll essentially be running in a fine paste as crud is constantly brought into the seal lips. Far better that clean lubricating gear oil is constantly brought into the leaky seal lips and pushed out than the situation you are setting up.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see where he's hooking to engine vacuum...
jabowman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha! No, it's not connected to vacuum, although that would certainly keep the transmission from leaking! I'll probably take it up into the engine compartment somewhere and put a small filter or something on the end.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a simple cheap inline filter on the tip, and zip tie it up high. T's for any other nearby components you want protected, such as a diff or transfer case.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less than one year of driving on dirt roads and mine was completely occluded with the super fine Taos dust.
Thanks for the great photos guys , made this diagnosis and cleanup much easier.
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question concerning leaks in the transmission and this seems like a good thread.

1987 Syncro

Recently had some trans fluid leaking on to the top of the trans, had a shop pull the trans and I was told it was the small breather pipe that got caught behind the fuel tank. Had the tank pulled, reassembled, paid my charges and hit the road,

After the 130 mile drive home I had trans fluid coming out between the engine (AHU) and the trans, a puddle about 6" wide.

Returned the Westy to the shop a few weeks later and by then the clutch was shot, chattering badly.

so, diagnosis:

The vent tube coming off the front differential was purging fluid out of the front differential.

I can't imagine a connection of fluid between the front and rear differentials.

I looked at the Bentley but could not see any routing of the vent lines.

anyone show me the page number illustrating the connection between the front differential and the space between the engine and trans?

peter
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Dokas wrote:
I can't imagine a connection of fluid between the front and rear differentials.

anyone show me the page number illustrating the connection between the front differential and the space between the engine and trans?

There is no connection of the vent lines for the front diff, engine and/or tranny. Either the shop doesn't know what they are talking about at all or you misunderstood.
In the engine compartment you will see 3 hard plastic lines the go through a round hole in the firewall just under the engine hatch to the driver's side. Those lines are the vent lines that go above the gas tank and are open to the atmosphere, they connect to nothing.
There is a banjo fitting that connects to the black vent lines at the front diff and transmission, they just need to be clear to function correctly. They should never affect the function of one another.
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mario,
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the photos I still had a hard time locating this atmospheric bleed hole. It is shown in the 1991 edition Bentley on page 35.44, though not labeled. It's in what's called the "Gear Carrier Cover."
weisswurst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to say that today is the first time I saw this thread! Evil or Very Mad
My one true king Andrew posted this so thank you sir (yes I am a diesel vanagon owner so we worship him around here)
Also the fact that Colin (Amskeptic) commented on it made me really examine all the posts twice.
Now on to the reason I posted,
I have been chasing a slow but increasing by the week tranny leak in my Canadian Doka here in the US for a few months and recently changed the fluid and it went away immediately after to our surprise Confused This seems to make sense since a opening the fill and drain plugs would release the pressure of a blocked vent if I'm reading this right! Shocked
I will be checking the vent to see if it's clogged at first chance before driving it again for sure. I agree with a past poster if this was a sticky I would have know about this YEARS ago. Thanks Andrew, you are the gift that keeps on giving in this world my leige... Cool
jeff
weisswurst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and yes, I forgot to mention the Doka was a WBX before an AAZ TD was swapped in so it must have the tranny vent.
I will be checking on my next visit to where it is garaged of course!
jeff
tlbranth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Dokas wrote:

peter

I finally came up with a good use for the Bentley.....holding down your tablecloth in a wind. Couldn't think of anything else though.

1991 Westfailure. 2004 Forester 2.5 engine. 4speed Standard transmission.
Lucy73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Before attempting to fix any transmission oil leaks MAKE SURE THE ATMOSPHERIC BLEED IS NOT PLUGGED.

Andrew

Hello Andrew, this is my first post. I am a new user. Not sure if this will show up. I have tried looking up about tranny leaks. I have a 73 VW Bus. The tranny was leaking. I found what I thought was the location and source. Had the final drive seal changed 2 times. (Right side is leaking, not the left). Still leaks after running it 30 miles or so. Doesn't drip when not running. I am not a mechanic, but does this hole/atmospheric bleed something that can be cleaned up without removing seal and taking it apart again?
Thanks.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can clean the atmospheric bleed without pulling the seal. Look through the thread at the pics to see where it is located. Roll under your van with a mirror and flashlight and clean it up.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

Ah man I need some pics!

Nevermind there is one on this thread.

My question is there suppose to be a mesh screen? Mine looks clogged... But I don't want to push out my screen.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

There is no screen.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: A Little Known Cause of Recurring Tranny Oil Leaks Reply with quote

Thanks waldo. For the response and the thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: