Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

9'x9' awning from Wal-Mart?!? ** new PICS **
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samba should get a kickback from Walmart. We're really boosting their sales. I also got an awning tonight. It is one fine goodie. Extremely well designed and made. It isn't the size and color I wanted so maybe it will get some modifications. I had been looking for rods, poles, etc. for a long time to make a custom one. It looks like it would do good with the rain but the real need here is blocking the sun. First thing in the instructions is they recommend 3 people to set it up. Must be just for the first time because it all looks straightforward and simple. What is nice is it ends up with only 2 light weight leg poles and no peremeter poles. In one of our whirlwinds or quick summer storms no matter how heavy and durable an awning would be, it's history. And poles turn into spears. The cow magnets would turn into hawk magnets. Many of us here have experienced our tents, sleeping bags, ice chests, etc. out in the middle of the lake on a otherwise beautiful calm day..
Wanted to set it up real quick but the only room is under the carport which just clears my low profile roof rack. And the space next to the bus is bug width plus about 10 inches total. So there is only room to do the awning without the legs and without the bus. Can't do it in the street so maybe I'll try it in Wallys parking lot. You guys had good attachment suggestions.
hatfulofhollow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="Klaussinator"]OK, got it all figured out! (At least what works for me . . . Cool )

THIS IS THE AWNING DEAL for our busses!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So...you used nylon carpet thread. Where did you get this? Also, did you stitch this by hand or were you able to thread it through a machine? If by hand, did you have to get a specific type of needle? (hooked or otherwise?)

I live in a dinky town and its about an hour to the city...i'm making my list, just didnt want to forget anything while i'm there!
Eventuality takes its toll
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hatfulofhollow,

The thread I used was from Wal-Mart too - right in with all the other thread. It's 100% nylon, and is called "Carpet Thread" meaning it's a whole lot stronger. It still feeds just fine thru a std. sewing machine (9' of hand stitching ?!? You've got to be kidding! Shocked )

Make sure when you cut your tarp to leave it plenty deep - better to be too long and lay on the roof than to be too short. As the awning billows in the wind there needs to be a little extra room to move without pulling the magnets out of the gutter. Sew a hem (fold the edge over and stitch it) at all edges, so when you sew it to the awning, you've got two layers of tarp to go through. I sewed about a 2" wide hem into the edge that goes to the gutter. The magnets are sewn into this about an inch up from the edge, or about 4" down from the original edge of the awning.

This should all make sense as you lay it out. I'd suggest setting the awning up on the edge of the roof, and look carefully at what you need to fill in. Remember, a few inches of extra tarp on the roof won't hurt- just position the magnets so the filler piece won't "pond" water, It needs to run into the gutter.

Take you're time & it'll be fine. ***Pics or you didn't do it!!! Laughing ***

-Klauss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
naynay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks K-man for all your detailed instructions. My wally-world didn't have all their dining canopies out for the season yet- but they did have the "map" of where the stockers should put them on the shelves, so I imagine it won't be long....

they Did have some of Last years camping stuff on clearance tho- I scored a nice enamel kitchen set- 4 plates,4 cups, a big pot, a useless frying pan and a Perculator- for 13 bucks! this years model has less stuff for more money-go figure. I also got 2 nifty collapsable weenie roasting sticks for 2 bucks each.

But Now I want to Go Camping!- and "Irene" isn't ready yet...but she Will be, oh yes she Will!

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you Can do." - John Wooden
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naynay,

Ours had a bunch of last year's stuff on closeout too. I scored a pair of telescoping weenie-roasting forks. They're like a stainless steel antenna with a fork on one end and a wooden handle on the other. They fit nice in my silverware drawer, but extend to about 32". Red tagged at $3.00 /ea. Wink

Everything goes on sale sometime . . . It's just how to know when ??? Think

-Klauss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naynay wrote:
Thanks K-man for all your detailed instructions. My wally-world didn't have all their dining canopies out for the season yet- but they did have the "map" of where the stockers should put them on the shelves, so I imagine it won't be long....

they Did have some of Last years camping stuff on clearance tho- I scored a nice enamel kitchen set- 4 plates,4 cups, a big pot, a useless frying pan and a Perculator- for 13 bucks! this years model has less stuff for more money-go figure. I also got 2 nifty collapsable weenie roasting sticks for 2 bucks each.

But Now I want to Go Camping!- and "Irene" isn't ready yet...but she Will be, oh yes she Will!

I picked up the same set, then we went back last night and saw the new one. I agree, less for more. All I wanted was the coffee pot and cups Razz. Peace!

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So . . . Anyone else make this thing work for them???

Still love to see some pics Laughing

-Klauss
opsboss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought mine this weekend. Will start sewing next weekend.
Bajatacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one a few days ago and plan to work on it this week.

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?
Hunter S Thompson
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicely done,
Add a pair of Umbrella Sand Anchors for while @ the beach and you can eliminate the guy wires.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still laughing my ass off over the Cow Magnets! I think I have had a bad case of hardware disease since I was about 10 years old! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ScreaminJimmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I've never heard of "Hardware disease". I do know some guys who suffer from "Dunlop's disease" though. That's where their belly done lopped over their belt. Not to be confused with the female version called "Furniture disease"... that's when their chest falls into their drawers. Laughing

So, back to the awning...I'm sure this will work on my Westy when the top is up, but when it's down I'm concerned that there might not be enough room between the gutter and the fiberglass top for the corners of the awning frame to hook on. Has anyone tried this Wal-Mart setup on a Westy?

Later,
smithe68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After checking three of the closer walmarts regularly pretty much since this thread started, finally today one of them had some. They had two, I almost bought them both, probably should have. There was a large empty space where there either were more at one time, or where more will be. Now if only it would stop pouring rain so I could pull the bus out and set it up.
naynay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, my wally world had 'em in the other day as well- I am stoked by how compact they are-that part is Awesome. I didn't buy one due to cash flow restrictions- I can only spend So much per week on my bus, or lifestyle catastrophes would get me to the point of livin in her. I think they should remain available throughout the summer at least, so I am not worried. Plus, I am working on 4-5 seperate bus projects at once, so I think I need to go easy. As for cow magnets- who knew? I was afraid that they would magnetically lure cows to your bus! Cool

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you Can do." - John Wooden
Blackdawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img

Just recieved mine today from a friend's father who just arrived from
FLA. 40$ canadian dollar and a bottle of wine ,but really worth it!

[/img]
hatfulofhollow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine a couple weeks ago, just trying to get the courage up to figure out my new (OLD) sewing machine Laughing
Eventuality takes its toll
LetsGoCamping
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine set up camping in Morro Bay, CA over the weekend. We had some pretty strong winds (40mph+ gusts) and it held up well for the most part. I would recommend attaching it better in case it gets windy often.

And here's how I attached it.

enjoispammy8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been to morro bay, its a wonderful camping spot. hoping to take my bus up there one day.

Desertbusman wrote:
Is there a message here? Enjoy Spammy Ate

EZ Gruv wrote:
Way to fuck up some little kids riding in the car next to you.

hazetguy wrote:
you need to be doing better drugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, finally got to use the awning! Had some beautiful weather here this weekend, and somehow, I had both days off- Imagine that!

We went down along the Dan river to a little picnic / campsite area near one of the boat launches. Backed the bus up next to a table and set the awning up. Only took a couple of minutes, and it covered the picnic table and really made a nice shady area to spend some time. Very happy with how it worked, even happier with the price! Was somewhat breezy, which was no problem at all. When I saw the wind was trying to lift the awning corners, I simply staked a line down at each pole, and all was good. When ready to leave, it packed up in a few minutes, and the little zipper-bag disapeared back under the seat where it lives.

I'd love to see some pics from the rest of you when you get to use yours!

-Klauss

Here's one of me & my sweetheart- Funny how all this stuff I spend time working on isn't quite as "stupid" once we actually get to enjoy it . . . Ahh, good times!

Volksfolk74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats really nice....we used a canopy like that a few years ago that we bought from Campmore...it was called somthing like stormshelter...it also came with sides that were held fast with velcro and zipper doors in the middle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: