Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

9'x9' awning from Wal-Mart?!? ** new PICS **
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackdawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuLX3 wrote:
smithe68 wrote:
Blackdawg wrote:
Just coming back from walmart,,and there not available in Canada Shocked Mad

Anybody knows how I could have one ship up here??

I would think through the walmart website you could order just about anything they sell.

I was just looking for it on their website, but I couldn't find it. There is the link to the Screen Houses and Canopies

You might go in there and ask if they could order it. I have heard of people doing that with other things that one particular store doesn't sell
Thanks for the reply,if I would have known,I could have ask Obama to bring me one when he came last week!! Very Happy
NinetyEight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought mine at walmart, rang up to just over $32.00. I attempted to set it up, but it's hard to setup alone in the wind.

I'm planning on sewing a strip of tarp with a clamping mechanism to the edge of the canopy to create a watertight seal between the bus and the canopy.

Next calm day when I have a few minutes to spare I'll throw up some pictures of it.

Rico - 1975 Bay

http://www.FromTheEyesofABus.Blogspot.com
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinetyEight wrote:
Just bought mine at walmart, rang up to just over $32.00. I attempted to set it up, but it's hard to setup alone in the wind.

I'm planning on sewing a strip of tarp with a clamping mechanism to the edge of the canopy to create a watertight seal between the bus and the canopy.

Next calm day when I have a few minutes to spare I'll throw up some pictures of it.

aaaaaaaaggggggg! tomorrow is pay day so i'll be getting mine as well as picking up a stereo system for the bus!!! yes no more blasting the ipod dock!
smithe68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured the online order was the best option if they don't carry it locally, buy heh, what do I know?

What stereo are you getting theizzardking? I bought a Sony at Walmart for $150 that had a couple of 6.5" speakers with it and the deck has a usb port right up front. Not sure if it supports iPods, but I know I can stick a plain old thumb drive in it and play and control the music, it even shows everything on the display.
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, got it all figured out! (At least what works for me . . . Cool )

THIS IS THE AWNING DEAL for our busses!!!

Set up with 2 legs and rest other side in the rain gutter. You'll notice a tapering gap that's about 3-1/2" in the middle.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With the canopy upside-down, stretch a line from corner to corner along the side that meets the bus.

Cut a piece of tarp to fill this gap (I used silver like the top of our bus.) Allow several inches to double over the edges before sewing, and allow an extra inch or so to go down in the gutter.

I used 3 cow magnets like this (bought at an animal feed store) and sewed them into the edge of the added piece. Space them evenly along the edge, and they will hold the center down in the gutter.

When you put it back up, this added piece will fill in the gap and make the awning weathertight to the bus. I used a spring clamp at each end so the magnets don't have to hold the awning in place. If it's really windy, throw a guy line from each of these corners over the bus and grab the front & rear bumpers.

Here's the finished product Very Happy I used 1 guy line at each front corner, staked close to the bottom of the pole. This will hold it tight if the wind picks up.

And here's a cool extra! Also mimics a Kelty CarPort! Just fold the two legs in toward each other and lay the front edge on the ground. Don't even have to undo the guy lines! Only takes about 5-seconds up or down!!! Corners can be staked down if it's windy!

Here's the box so you know what to look for, and some pics to show the way it's made. Pretty well put together, especially for what we're paying!

Hope this helps answer some questions . . .

I'd love to see your pics or other ideas as well. Enjoy your shade!

-Klauss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoispammy8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats tite! looks like ill be going to walmart soon.

Desertbusman wrote:
Is there a message here? Enjoy Spammy Ate

EZ Gruv wrote:
Way to fuck up some little kids riding in the car next to you.

hazetguy wrote:
you need to be doing better drugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akscooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice innovation, Cool 35 bucks and a little creativity....right down my alley! Very Happy
smithe68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Klaussinator, nice work, and thanks for all the pics and tips.
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! We'll be adding some blue tarp to ours soon. Peace!

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
Bajatacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice- especially for the price.

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?
Hunter S Thompson
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaussinator wrote:
OK, got it all figured out! (At least what works for me . . . Cool )

THIS IS THE AWNING DEAL for our busses!!!
...Hope this helps answer some questions . . .

I'd love to see your pics or other ideas as well. Enjoy your shade!

-Klauss

Good Lord, what an excellent posting! Nice job Applause

What type of thread did you use?
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
afhusband
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause Applause

Great post!
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, Air_Cooled_Nut:

Thanks, and I used a 100% nylon carpet thread. Pretty tough stuff, and should take the weather just fine. I didn't worry about seam sealer or anything - figured I'm sewing thru at least 4-layers of material and it should be just fine.

Granted, this whole idea isn't perfection . . . But my entire bus was built around the principal of using or re-using what I've got or could find. I just won't pay $120 for an awning when my entire paint job was less than $50 (DupliColor spray paint on closeout at Ollie's)

I'm out to prove that you don't have to be rich to enjoy a VW bus, and this awning idea is just one more step in that progression. Total cost to resurect our `73 from the boneyard: just under $600 (yeah, that includes my new Klaussinator custom kwik-up color-matched awning!!!) Cool

-Klauss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
naynay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your idea- and am of the same budget minded mind-set- what I have always wondered is if all these "sun shade" awnings can handle the rain- cuz rain is a simple year-round fact of life in the pac NW. but, I Did see a nice EZ up knockoff at Schucks auto supply for around $70 - that was called a rain shelter- a little more moolah, maybe worth it, maybe not. I am a lazy SOB- it looks like the compactness of the "ozark trails" comes from having to thread the poles through the awning...is that how it works? cheaper is way better for me- and the compactness is nice for sure- but like i said- lazy SOB- who will be camping as lone adult with my 9 y/o- who is a Super lazy SOB! so, how quick and easy can you get that bad boy up, and how rainproof does it seem to be? I too need to go to wally world anyway to get some speakers for my bus-it came with a nice stereo, but no speakers- and since I am soundproofing the heck out of it, I may as well be able to hear something other than the hamster wheel in my head!

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you Can do." - John Wooden
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naynay,

This thing is easy & quick to put up, even by yourself. I'm saying that after only having set it up three times (once after dark in the wind.) I assemble the roof upside-down on the ground, just slip the shock-corded fiberglass rods into the corner pockets and then secure the little velcro closures around them where they are sewn into the seams. Even the steel corner poles are shock-corded for quick assembly. These poles have a rubber foot at the bottom, and the top just mates up with the plastic mount at each corner. (see my last pic) The corners also have a bungee corded hook that grabs the pole and another velcro closure to keep everything nice & snug.

Really looks like a great design with no obvious "wear points".

When I flip mine over, I just rest the one edge on the gutter and the other end on the ground (like the Kelty) and magnets grab & hold it. Then I can go lift the other end and straighten the poles. A couple of clamps on the gutter, some guy lines if it's windy, and you're done!!! Very Happy
Shouldn't be too hard for a "lazy SOB" Laughing

-Klauss
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naynay wrote:
I like your idea- and am of the same budget minded mind-set- what I have always wondered is if all these "sun shade" awnings can handle the rain- cuz rain is a simple year-round fact of life in the pac NW. but, I Did see a nice EZ up knockoff at Schucks auto supply for around $70 - that was called a rain shelter- a little more moolah, maybe worth it, maybe not. I am a lazy SOB- it looks like the compactness of the "ozark trails" comes from having to thread the poles through the awning...is that how it works? cheaper is way better for me- and the compactness is nice for sure- but like i said- lazy SOB- who will be camping as lone adult with my 9 y/o- who is a Super lazy SOB! so, how quick and easy can you get that bad boy up, and how rainproof does it seem to be? I too need to go to wally world anyway to get some speakers for my bus-it came with a nice stereo, but no speakers- and since I am soundproofing the heck out of it, I may as well be able to hear something other than the hamster wheel in my head!

hey i'm just a bit south of you , stanwood area and am planning on doing this as well today, i aslo was worried about how water/rain proof these things are, i don't really expect it to be bomber but i think with some of that spray water proofing stuff it'll do just fine i'm also going to sew a few extra tarps on the side to prevent sideways rain coming in and such, hopefully with a little bit a velcro i can make it where i can roll up the sides on sunny days and secure the flaps to the tent. i'll post again later about my thoughts on if this will work in the PNW or not.
naynay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey lizzard king- I noticed you were in my neck of the woods..i checked your location when you mentioned being a tool designer for airplanes- I thought "Boing"-as everone pronounces it! good point on the side covers- how on earth could I have forgotten our lovely horizontal rain! Denial!

Klausinator- thanks for the R&D- and for letting this here lazy SOB know that it ain't too hard. Laughing

I actually work my A$$ off most days, so perhaps i am misguided in my self-perception.....but I DO know I like things to be easy squeezy and leisurely when I am on Vacation- I'm not one of those that Has to be fiddling around with something the whole time, adjusting this and that. I just want to kick back . So, wally-world here I come- I work til 4am, so I can shop when It isn't so insane in that store! I'll get myself those speakers I need too! work to buy- stuff stuff for my bus! oh, and pay the mortgage! Rolling Eyes

I'll get mine, set it up, and wait 5 minutes until the rain starts up, and see if it needs the waterproof spray....

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you Can do." - John Wooden
71_georgia_beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I can't be the only one wondering!
Klaussinator wrote:
I used 3 cow magnets like this (bought at an animal feed store) and ..........................

So here you go.
Cow magnet

A cow magnet is a preventive veterinary medical device for cattle. Traditionally, cow magnets were strong alnico magnets about 1cm by 8cm (0.4 by 3.1 inches) in the shape of a smoothed rod, but today they are more commonly several ring-shaped ferrite magnets attached to a stainless-steel or plastic core, in the same shape as the single-piece original.

A rancher or dairy farmer feeds a magnet to each calf at branding time; the magnet settles in the rumen or reticulum and remains there for the life of the animal.

When the cow grazes, it often consumes and swallows what is called tramp iron: baling and barbed wire, staples, nails, and other metallic objects. These objects are indigestible and would lodge in the reticulum and cause inflammation resulting in lower milk production (for dairy cattle) or lower weight gain (for feeder stock). This condition is called hardware disease.

The cow magnet attracts such objects and prevents them from becoming lodged in the animal's tissue. While the resultant mass of iron remains in the cow's rumen as a sort of bezoar, it does not cause the severe problems of hardware disease. Cow magnets cannot be passed through a cow's 4th bonivial meta-colon.

Cow magnets are widely available from veterinary, feed supply, and scientific supply sources.
www.burelphotography.com
djspn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cow magnets at froogle w pics.

http://www.google.com/products?q=cow+magnet&oe...p;ct=title
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha
i was wondering what a cow magnet was
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: