Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

low miles TIICO or 130K original or ?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoshG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my 2 cents . . . A properly installed Tiico (which refers to a very specific engine package) is worthwhile. Mine was done by Jon at Foreign Auto Supply and it (and FAS) have treated me very well. I have no complaints. It does what it's supposed to do all day long, every day. It's my daily driver and does not give me any trouble. It may not be as "advanced" an engine as a subie but it works and works well without the headaches I had with a WBX. I believe that any VW I4 that is properly installed is a better setup over the original/stock WBX Very Happy (I know those are fight'in words but . . . .
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record and to complete this thread, we went with the Tiico.
bread geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: tiico Reply with quote

for those interested just because it has an inline 4 motor in it does not make it a tiico.a properly installed tiico conv. is imo the way to go.jon at FAS installed mine as well and is flawless.congrats on your new ride.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: low miles TIICO or 130K original or ? Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
After selling our '85 Westy last year, we find ourselves longing for another. Are we gluttons for punishment? Anyway, we're contemplating 2 Westys 2WD for sale in our area right now. The first is a '91 TIICO with 30K on the rebuild ($15k), the other is an '88 with 130K on original engine ($12k). Both are in good condition. Problem is we're not really sure were to go with this. I don't know a thing about the TIICO conversion and am guessing the '88 is due for a rebuild soon. We can't afford to purchase the '88 and convert it to a Subaru or TDi right now and I've seen quite a few recommendations not to rebuild to the same stock 2.1. Is the TIICO still a good option even though it's no longer available? How many more miles can the '88 waterboxer realistically go before the inevitable? Should we keep looking? Any constructive advice/feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi

Anything, that is -A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G- is better than an "original' VW WBX. I lost 2 1/2 vans due to the customary failure of the ill designed, poorly engineered, hastily manufactured VW WBX.
Unfortunately in your case, a conversion being out of the question I would, wearing a garlic collar, a wooden spike and a full clip of silver bullets in my Colt go for the TIICO. I must admit that when shopping for my own I passed on a few beautiful TIICO until I could find a Subaru conversion. I would have loved a Zetec but they seem a rarity on the used market.
Anyway, just a personal opinion, $12,000.00 seems rather stiff a price to pay for either. Also are you sure you really -NEED- a Westy. I had one and never used the stove, refrigerator (once) and the kitchen sink, but paid to carry the whole thing around in wasted gas.
When you mention twelve thousand US Dollars ($12,000.00) It seems to me that you could easily find either a Subaru converted van or one with dead engine and with the money do the conversion. I bet you can buy a complete wrecked Legacy for poco denaro.
I now have a Wolfsburg and with a cooler and a portable stove 18x12x4 that fits under the rear bench I can do anything and everything a Westy will do and I can take them out just in case, and I have a real bed. Naturally I cannot sleep four. But, I can "sleep" two (including myself
Twisted Evil

Good luck

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: