Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karmann Ghia Progressive changes 1955–1974
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Karmann Ghia Progressive changes 1955–1974 Reply with quote

This is a call for help in putting together the definitive illustrated guide to The Karmann Ghia, both Coupe and Convertible; this is will be a long-term project. Very few here hold knowledge of all year Ghias but fortunately many are experts on particular “model years.”

Posting to this topic is just the starting point and as contributions will obviously not be posted in chronological order, this topic will eventually be pulled together in year order and posted as a read only “Sticky.”

So what do you need to do?

First of all for this to work properly all pictures need to be posted to the Ghia section of The Samba Gallery. Why? Because then there will be no irritating gaps in the topic when external pictures are inadvertently moved or deleted.

Pictures should be of a reasonable size...over 500pxls wide if possible.

Text description should be included in the gallery submission, with a relevant descriptive title…”for forum” will not do. A proper description will ensure the picture is "searchable".

When posting your pictures and description to the topic, please post in the Subject line of the reply pane…My ’63 Coupe or My ’63 ‘Vert or whatever.

It's quite simple all you have to do now is get your camera out this weekend, take a few pictures...the experts, who I'm sure will contribute to this topic, will do the rest.

Any questions? Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by John Moxon on Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:45 am; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: 1970 and 1971 Model Years. Reply with quote

Great idea John. Here is some info I had on 1970 and 1971 model year changes. It isn't highly detailed, but it's a start.

Other users, please chime in if you see something wrong or missing!

1970 Model Year.
24925 Coupes produced
6396 Convertibles produced

Exterior

• First appearance of the larger solid amber front indicators (These are now used through the end of production 1974).
o Italian market cars were equipped with a clear version of this front indicator.

• First appearance of the larger rear tail lights (These are used for the 1970 and 1971 model years – with a larger style introduced for the 1972 model year).
o This new style also incorporates the reverse lamps into the tail-light assembly, whereas previous years had separate bumper mounted lamps.
o North America market cars receive an all red lense with white reverse light at the bottom.
o European market cars receive a tri-colour lense, with amber indicator section (top) Red brake (centre) and white reverse (bottom).

• First appearance of the 1970-1971 style rear reflector. This is a reflector that mimics the shape of the front indicator lamps. It is used on the 1970 and 1971 model year cars only, contributing to the redesign of the rear bumper.

• First appearance of the modified rear bumper (markets where over-riders were used). 1970-1971 cars used a modified version of the “blade” style bumper from previous years. Instead of the over-rider end sections wrapping around the cars rear corners, they dive down and fasten to the bumper similar to the front bumpers of the same era. This allowed the reverse light and rear reflector to be more visible.

• Although not a largely visible difference. 1970 cars receive a newly modified rear deck lid. It features a removable plastic drain tray, and allows more cooling air to enter the engine compartment. This style of decklid is used through the end of production in 1974.

Interior

• The interior remains almost identical to the previous 1969 model year.

• Exterior paint and interior upholstery patterns can be seen here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodesghia.php

Driveline

• For 1970 Type 1 cars (beetle and ghia) received a larger “B” coded engine. A 1600 single port, with dual relief case.
o Different regions receive various versions of emission control equipment.

• Transmission options remain the same as the previous year. 4 speed syncromesh manual transmission, or Autostick, semi-automatic transmission.

• ATE single pin, dual piston front brake caliper is used.

Original 1970 Convertible in Cobalt Blue – Front:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rear:

Indicator lense close-up:

Rear Reflector close-up:

Interior detail showing basket weave pattern on upholstery:

1971 Model Year.
21063 Coupes
6553 Convertible

Exterior

• Unchanged from the 1970 model year, however several new paint colours are available: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/71ghia.php

Interior

• Upholstery is basket weave similar to previous year. Colours can be seen here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodesghia.php

• First appearance of the new interior door locking switch (1971-1974). Interior door lock design is changed from a pull-tab at the top edge of the doors (used in previous years) to a flip toggle type unit located in the interior door release handle area. This is done in an effort to increase security.

• First appearance of the longer defroster vents on the dash. This changes the dash pad, as the defrost slots must now must be longer.
o Ducting that connects the defrost vents to the heater channel is changed to paper type tubing for 1971.

• Dash knobs (lights, wipers, etc) design changes to a smoother profile.

Driveline

• Introduction of the AE coded engine. 1600 dual port, dual relief. Power is estimated at 60hp.
o Smog equipment varies by region

• Transmission gearing changes to a 3.875:1 ratio on the manual, and a 4.125:1 ratio on the autostick. Top speed is now reported @ 86mph/138kph with the manual, and 83mph/134kph with the autostick.

• New for 1971 (used through 1974). Similar looking to previous units, the oil bath air filter uses a built in thermostat to open and close the warm air intake. Previous years used a cable activated flap connected to the cooling flaps on the fan shroud.

Owners manual photo showing new style door lock:

Photo showing a 1971 Ghia with Dual Port engine. Note smog equipment: charcoal canister, throttle position valve, altitude adjuster and new style oil bath filter:

Photo showing the dash of a 1971 Ghia. Note new style of knob, longer vents. This car was ordered without a radio:

Big changes follow for the 1972 model year.

Last edited by 70 140 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's perfect Erik. Although I put the bit about picture size in bold type, don't get too hung up with getting them the exact size. The point of it is, good size pictures please...the ones you've used are fine.

Of course I can't actually take any credit on this subject as it was your suggestion...so you're to blame. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: 1958 Model Year Reply with quote

Large 30 cm Ghia Decklid Script - 1955-1962

Hood Badge - Sept 1957-1962

Bat-ear Karmann Badge - 1955-1959 - Passenger side only.

Last edited by John Moxon on Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know what would be cool? Some sort of timeline table, with the years on the X axis and the features on the y axis.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thom wrote:
Ya know what would be cool? Some sort of timeline table, with the years on the X axis and the features on the y axis.

You mean a Bar Chart kind of thing as an overview?
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1956 bits: badge, engine lid latch, engine lid, license plate light

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Aug 1955 - July 1956 Reply with quote

I've listed this as "Aug 1955 - July 1956" if anyone thinks differently please let me know.

Points to note:
Air ventilation control is in the form of a rotating knob.
Oval Beetle style steering wheel.
Roller type of accelerator pedal.
Baulkhead/Floor mat part carpet part rubber.
Door panel - plain full width leatherette.

Last edited by John Moxon on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:26 am; edited 4 times in total
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Aug 1957 - Aug 1959 Reply with quote

I've listed this as "Aug 1957 - Aug 1959" if anyone thinks differently please let me know.

Points to note:
Air ventilator controls now 2 paddle style.
Exclusive style Karmann Ghia steering wheel.
Flat type of accelerator pedal.
Baulkhead/Floor mat all moulded rubber.
Door panel - top panel slash style leatherette.
First inclusion of Fuel Gauge.
Paul_Revere's Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone must have a better 59 than mine to work with?? I shall see if I can do some photo's later...

Great idea John- Wink (I knew it must be outhere somewhere- just didn't realise it was so recent! Laughing My memory must be failing as I get older..... Laughing

You can now follow me on Facebook to keep up to date with my latest Artwork & Ceramics-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Newport/Seth-Draper-Art-Ceramics/150919701594700?ref=mf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul_Revere's Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: May 1959 Ghia Coupe Reply with quote

Large Hella logo embossed in Chrome ring- nb. this is a US specification sealed beam unit.

Made in Germany embossed in headlamp ring- circular drain holes-

All OG paint under here- could this black painted tank be some kind of anomoly for late 59 lowlights??? Non body coloured tank? How many others are there?

Upper door hinge and check strap. Intoduced midway through 59- from chassis 2395181

Lower door hinge- Intoduced midway through 59- from chassis 2395181

1959 lowlight only dash trim piece-

59 - 64 Ghia indicator unit- nb. Glass lens and trim bezel.

Nose grills- in this picture you can just make out 2 of the four holes in the surround area- Rockstocks 'God is in the details' page suggests that on verts this is believed to be a 1959 lowlight only feature- how many other coupes have them?

I will try and edit this post with a few more details and chassis numbers etc at a later date

Cool

You can now follow me on Facebook to keep up to date with my latest Artwork & Ceramics-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Newport/Seth-Draper-Art-Ceramics/150919701594700?ref=mf

Last edited by Paul_Revere's Ghia on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lee.
Samba Animal Controller

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised this site is still up....

http://www.serve.com/bacani/kgsguide.html

Quote:
1956-1957
'56 - '57 Model Year (Ch# 929 746 thru 1 600 439)

* Droop Snout, headlites are in center of front fender instead of on top of fender. (Thru '59 models.) U.S. models always used seal-beam headlite assemblies.
* Parklites (turn signals) used painted, thin metal sleeve covering bulbholder. Plastic lens - white. Very similar in appearance to era Bug/Bus turn signals. (Thru Ch# 2 103 014 - into '58 model year.) (P.S.: To avoid stocking 10 or more differently painted sleeves, parts departments quickly, and the assembly-line eventually, went to a chromed sleeve.)
* Taillites - small, almost rectangular. Located down from peak of rear fender. Two Piece taillite. Separate plastic lens had a glass, shield-shaped piece glued to its bottom half. Chrome from ring could easily be taken off lens. (Thru body # 24 799, Ch# 1 708 049)
* License lite housing stamped sheet metal, with an absolutely flat, plastic license lite lens. (Thru body # 24 202, Ch# 1 676 789)
* Hood hinge spring bracket or brace in crowl area very wide. Hood hinge and spring noticably different from later cars. (Thru body # 15 442, Ch# 1 458 287) Ever after, cowl braces were one inch or so wide.
* Sunvisor is made of translucent green plastic. (To body # 22 921)
* Lining of pedal/steering column wall around door opening is a rubber mat (not carpet) on all, (expect the earliest 3761 bodies) thru '59 models. (What were the first 3761 bodies uphosltered in?)

1958-1959
'58-'59 Model Year (Ch# 1 600 439 thru 2 528 667) August '58 thru July '59

* Bumpers overrider tubes. (Thru '71) (Export models)
* License lite housing, cast metal with cupped lenses. (To end of production)
* Parklite housings are chromed, heavy pot-metal. A true glass lens is retained by a chrom ring. (A mid-'58 introduction.) (Thru Ch# 35 853 200) (Starting about the '63 model year, a plastic AMBER lens was used in place of clear glass lens. Parts systems quickly adopted plastic lens, and sent it in place of glass lens for any '58-'64 parklite.)
* Taillite lens and chrome ring are one piece. Still small, rectangular and below peak of rear fender. (Thru '59)
* Unique, attractive horn blowing ring/center. Large, oddly shaped porcelain badge in center of 1/2 moon-shaped blowing ring.
* A convertible (cabriolet) body style was added to the Ghia line-up in August of '57, as a '58 model (from Ch# 1 600 440)
* Convertible has redesigned interior rear view mirror. The stem upon which the mirror glass is mounted became longer to allow view out rear glass. Rotate mirror head 180° when top is folded down.
* Door armrest mounting bracket design changed.

1959-1960
Bumpers without overrider tubes. Use cute European bumper guards.

* Fresh air inlet grille, small, with straight bars. Body metal, not grille, is the surround. (Thru '59)
* Quarter window fixed. (Thru '59)
* Dash top painted body metal, ala early Porche's. No Padding or vinyl cover.
* Horn blowing button in center of steering wheel is shared with Beetle. No ring or levers to assist blowing.

'60 Model Year (Ch# 2 528 668 thru 3 192 507) August '59 thru July '60

* First Modern Body
* Headlites at tip of fender. (To end)
* Air vent grilles enlarged, bars held by tear-shaped surround. (To end)
* Taillite, pointed oval, at tip of rear fender. (Thru '69)
* Wheel arch openings reshaped. Opening now flows more towards back of car.
* Quarter window hinged and pops-out.
* Ghias still use the famous, venerable 36 hp engine. Split case transmission, with a non-synchro low gear is also standard equipment.
* Last year in which a fuel tap lever as well as fuel gauge was installed.
* Ghia loses its unique steering wheel and horn-blowing ring. Forever after, wheel/ring is an era Bug item.
* An arm rest is first installed on left-hand (driver's door). Previously a cloth strap was used to close left door. Right-hand door always carried an arm rest. (Between 1960 and 1966, a span of only 6 years, 14 different colored vinyl/fabric arm rest covers were used. No wonder finding original, correctly colored interior upholstery material is nearly impossible. Parts departments must have engaged in open mutiny, because from '67-up, all arm rest also fits Beetles. AND were only available in black.)

'61 Model Year (Ch# 3 192 507 thru 4 0101 994) August '60 thru July '61

* 40 horse engine intro'ed but without fresh air ducts in fan shroud.

'62 Model Year (Ch #4 010 995 thru 4 846 836) August '61 thru July '62

* VW finally standardizes on one style of nose or prow emblem. (From Ch # 4 764 156). Previously, American market cars received a one piece, heavy, cast, chrome plated emblem. Home (meaning German) market cars received a chromed badge with a blue porcelain, or cloisonne, center(this emblem is repro'd). From 1962, emblem is 2 piece, polished aluminum. Raise VW logo in a circle, is nose emblem for the new Type III Ghias, so only a new base plate had to be engineered. All nose emblems are interchangeable, and the same seal fits all.

'63 Model Year (Ch# 4 846 836 thru 5 677 118) August '62 thru July '63

* Smaller Karmann Ghia rear deck lid script. (Continued to end) (Nine inch vs. twelve inch long script. The more petite rear script was developed for the then new Type III Ghia. Rather that have the parts system inventory two separate Karmann Ghia rear scripts, VW standardized on the Type II script.)
* Volkswagen name script first appears on left hand face of rear deck lid. (Used in some variation to end)
* Somewhere in here, 40 horse engine takes on fresh air features, (i.e., tubes come out of fan shroud).

'64 Model Year (Ch# 5 677 119 thru 6 402 399) August '63 thru July '64

* Chrome headlite ring, with single mounting screw at bottom of ring and rolled edge to catch headlite bucket first appears (Ch# 5 930 430). Ever after, adapted to earlier cars, sometimes successfully.
* New turn signal/bulbholder intro'ed (Ch# 5 853 202). Amber lens screws going thru face of lens (no metal collar). (Continued thru '69)
* dash pad loses separate plastic radio cover. (Ch# 5 790 681) After that holes in pad act as speaker cover.
* Chrome, dime sized dot visible on rear of quarter window glass is now completely smooth. (From Ch# 5 790 274) Previously, ('60-64 1/Cool. dot had two nostrils, or holes for tightening tool.

'65 Model Year (Ch# 145 000 001 thru 145 999 000) August '64 thru July '65

* New chassis numbering system. No longer consecutive, (i.e., 1 thru 6 402 399). Now, title number/pan number are readable. 14 (the first two numbers) stand for Karmann Ghia. The third number (5) stands for year, in this case, 1965.
* Heater controls become levers located behind gear shift, instead of faucet knob located on forward passenger side of tunnel.
* Interior rear view mirror mounts interior lite in rather massive chromed mirror housing. Coupe and Convertible mirrors are now the same. (1965 thru '67 Ghia...coupes and convertibles, also Bug convertible.)
* Sunvisors mount outboard and swivel. The inner ends snap into plastic clips mounted in mirror housing.

'66 Model Year (Ch# 146 000 001 thru 146 1021 300) August '66 thru July '67

* Dash has 2 inch wide, or so, plastic chrome decorative trim mounted longitudinally thru center of dash. Remainder of metal dash is still body color. Only year to use this trim.
* Key/ignition switch is located consistently to the right of steering column for the first time.
* Hub caps become flattened, like later style. Earlier cars used a 1/2 Moon style cap.
* Ash tray stops being dash mounted on passenger side, and becomes chrome, or black vinyl add-on hung below center of dash.
* Front end first uses ball joint suspension, instead of venerable king pins.
* Battery now on driver's of rear compartment.
* Engine block is changed to the modern configuration used until the end of Beetle production in 1979.
* Air cleaner cannister is offset to passenger side of engine compartment for the first time.
* First door mounted outside mirror. Previously, a graceful, swan-necked fender mounted mirror.

'67 Model Year (Ch# 147 000 001 thru 147 999 000) August '66 thru July '67

* By far, the most changes in half a decade. Many items are uniquely '67.
* First 1500 cc engine. Stamped serial # is prefixed H.
* Disc brakes up front. Wheels are 4 bolt, small, or modern pattern. (To end)
* Dash face is no longer painted. It is covered with a fake, wood-grain looking mask. (but dash pad continued to be the older style with de-mountable grab bar.)
* Large single instrument (speedo), with two much smaller gauges (fuel and clock). Earlier cars used two large gauges, with one smaller gauge centered between them.
* Stock wheel/tire combination comes noticably closer to edge of rear fender flank because of wider rear axles.
* Electrical system is 12 volt. Back-up lites may appear on rear bumper. (Bumper mounted back-up thru '69)
* Ignition switch on dash uses much bigger face, and may have cumbersome ignition/steering lock features.
* Convertible Only: Mid-year change allowed for rear of top to be secured to body by a cable. Previously, convertible top was tacked to a wooden strip.
* Chrome moldings no longer appear on inner, upper door frame, (i.e., just above the upholstered door panel). Nor, are they found on inner quarter panel frame.
* Some type of seat belt end now appears on tunnel. Most common is chrome loop.
* Seat cushion is cupped, holds occupant more securely. Previous seats were basically flat instead of contoured. Last year of the low backed seat.
* Americanized door lock with separate knob located at top of rear of door. (Continued for only 4 model years)
* Cute, chromed, miniature version of Karmann Ghia rear deck lid script graces the center of dash face. (To finis)
* Chrome trim on upholstered door panel is now a rectangular, somewhat flat, mylar plastic, decorative strip which is bonded to the vinyl of the panel. (To end) Previously, chrome trim on door panels were two double-ended, aluminum strips that in cross-section had a hatchet, or wedge shape. Trim of these pre-'67 door panels was of same pattern, shape, and composition as exterior moldings.
* Inside rear view mirror head now oval shaped plastic crackle finish. (Previously metal head)

'68 Model Year (Ch# 148 000 001 thru 148 999 000) August '67 thru July '68

* Interior mirror housing uses black crackle finish. Interior light lens is icicle shaped, and is part of mirror head mounting stem. Entire mirror detaches easily from mounting base for safety. (Thru '74)
* Gas filler flap on right, front fender top. (Manually operated, not cable operated).
* Autostick cars have IRS suspension (as do all '69 and later Ghias). Autostick script appears on rear deck lid of American market cars. Popularity of this semi-automatic drops rapidly. Because script installation was dependent on the dealer, lack of public interest quickly cooled dealer enthusiasm for mounting the script. Script struggles into '69 model year.
* Coupe rear seat no longer held upright by a rubber strap. Now, a wide plastic clip hooks seat to package tray.
* New dash pad appears, separate grab, or chicken, bar disappears; and grab bar integrated into design of dash.
* Ignition switch migrates to steering column. (To end)
* Front hood release mounted in glove box. (To end)
* Door sheet metal, behind chrome door handle, is cupped, allowing handle to be tapered and tucked closer to body. (To end)
* From outside, a lever, or trigger, hidden by chrome housing, now, must be tripper with fingers to open door. (To end) (Previously, a button, pushed with one's thumb, activated door handle.)
* Round Red Reflectors on both rear 1/4 panels introduced.

'69 Model Year (Ch# 149 000 001 thru 149 1200 000) August '68 thru July '69

* Gas filler flap on right front fender top is cable operated from D ring on front passenger kick panel.
* Convertible Rear seat back latch, a new plastic center latch is introduced. This replaced the old rubber strap and hook design. This was a short lived change with the new glass window coming mid year during production.
* Convertible Only: begin Chassis number 149 431008, glass rear window hinges down into luggage area, a mid-year change. (Previously up to Chassis 149 431007 plastic rear window sewn into top)
* Convertible tub and luggage area modified for mid year top design with glass window. The rear Shelf was removed and replaced by two metal towers to support the folded glass and the seat back.
* Convertible rear seat latch redesigned. Begin at Chassis 149 431008. With the new glass window. Two metal pins on the seat back sides latch into plastic catch mounted on the support towers.
* Front Seat backs first uses a stalk mounted head rest, unique in VW empire to Ghia. ('68 head rest grows, pimple-like, from seat back cushions.) (To end)
* Heater outlets located on straight section of rockerbox below door. Cable controlled flap. 1969/1970 only (Previously in the curved section of floor well, and covered by a metal sliding flap)
* Interior rear view mirror now offered with anti-dazzle feature (day/night)
* Last year of Round Red Reflectors on rear 1/4 Panels

'70 Model Year (Ch# 142 2000 000 thru 142 3200 000) August '69 thru July '70

* Angular, wrap-around, amber turn signal lens. (Thru '74)
* Larger taillite lens, nearly 10 inches long. Lens nearly vertical on fender. Beck-up lens segment first incorporated in lens itself. (Thru '71)
* Seats still include center panel of vinyl in the checkboard pattern so commonly found on mid-60's and up Ghias.
* Overrider tubes on rear bumper now end at rear of car, instead of curving around fender flank and ending near wheel opening. (Reason: so as not to block lite from new, larger rear lens.)
* Cowl in front of Windshield redesigned to accomodate wiper placement change.
* 1600 cc engine, prefixed code on engine serial # is B.
* Engine lid redesigned. Now with removable plastic rain tray and drain hoses. Provides increased cooling air flow for larger 1600 engine. (Previously welded metal drain tray) (To end)

'71 Model Year (Ch# 141 2000 000 thru 141 3200 000) August '70 thru July '71

* Door lock migrates back to a finger pull lever in door panel, rather than American style lock knob on top of door. (Ever after)
* Seat cover material all leather look. No more checkerboard pattern. (To end)
* Defroster vent openings in dash pad are much bigger than earlier (13 inches long). (To end)
* Front Heater outlets no longer cable controlled. Now flap is operated at the outlet by a small lever (to end)
* Carpet material is a felt-like material. No longer a textured, looped carpet. (To end)
* Dual Port engine. 1600 cc. Engine code AD, AE, or AF. (To end)

'72 Model Year (Ch# 142 2000 000 thru 142 3200 000) August '71 thru July '72
* Last major change in body shape/profile.
* Huge (14 inches long) rectangular taillite. Lens laid at an angle on rear fender. (Thru '74)
* Squared bumpers. No more tubes, or multi-directional angles. These babies look as stout and handsome as a snow plow blade. (Thru '74)
* Return of instrument cluster with two major instruments. Gauges appear to be tunneled, instead of flat, as with pre-'67 cars. (Thru '74)
* Dash face uses black, vinyl mask with a pebble grain look. Same material is used as caps on top of inner door/quarter panel frame. (To end)
* Americanized controls. Previously, driver needed the dexterity of a well coordinated octopus to operate all the hand controls and levers. From this point, most controls were dash mounted. Air vent levers give way to twist knobs on center of dash, etc. (To finis)
* Coupe quarter window mechanism revised. Now, quarter window post will not unbolt from car.
* Revised door panel and door glass for the redesigned quarter window.
* Revised roof panel for redesigned quarter window.

1973-1974
'73-'74 Model Year (Ch# 143 2000 000 and up) August '72 thru Spring '74

* Front bumper backed by a stout tube running to front axle. (Bumper won't deform in an accident, but car will be totaled; meeting the letter, but not the spirit, or new 5 mph bumper regulations.)
* Rear seat eliminated. (Meeting the letter, but not the spirit, of new, rear seat belt regulation requiring a seatbelt for each potential passenger.)

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: 1966 RHD Coupe Reply with quote

OK as the title suggests a 1966 RHD Coupe. As I’m steadily learning about KG myself (does anyone ever finish learning?) I need your input on the pictures here. I do know there are a few “one year only features on the ’66?? Most you'll probably find in the previous post.

No prizes for supplying information save the undying gratitude of your fellow enthusiasts. Wink

^^^Please note: Rear bumper towel rails are the later post 1970 style and not correct for the '66.

Last edited by John Moxon on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total
eddiemoney
East Coast Scavenger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'66 Model Year (Ch# 146 000 001 thru 146 1021 300) August '66 thru July '67

* Dash has 2 inch wide, or so, plastic chrome decorative trim mounted longitudinally thru center of dash. Remainder of metal dash is still body color. Only year to use this trim.
* Key/ignition switch is located consistently to the right of steering column for the first time.
* Hub caps become flattened, like later style. Earlier cars used a 1/2 Moon style cap.
* Ash tray stops being dash mounted on passenger side, and becomes chrome, or black vinyl add-on hung below center of dash.
* Front end first uses ball joint suspension, instead of venerable king pins.
* Engine block is changed to the modern configuration used until the end of Beetle production in 1979.
* Air cleaner cannister is offset to passenger side of engine compartment for the first time.
* First door mounted outside mirror. Previously, a graceful, swan-necked fender mounted mirror.

anyone have any pics?

instagram im_eating_pizza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57Drag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My early 60 has holes under the dash for that trim to go?I thought they were for the das pad?And for the record , my tank is red like the car.

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: The 1966 model year variations compilation: Reply with quote

vw-in-neptune wrote:
anyone have any pics?

Yep here goes..... everything covered as far as I can

The 1966 model year variations compilation:

Additional Note: Non USA cars did not have the emergency flasher system. USA cars have an emergency flasher pull switch mounted just below the plastic chrome strip between the headlight and wiper switches. This is a cabriolet and you can also see the locking hood release below the dash

Also worth mention is the 1966 only Pigalle colour scheme.
There is a similar version in a Teak colour also offered only for 1966. These colours also offered with the Type 3 and Ghia type 3

Also a 1966 only dash feature is this radio faceplate that is supposed to match the plastic-chrome strip.
(This one is mine and I paid more for the plate than the radio. Yikes!! I must be crazy)

Here's another Pigalle dash with the correct radio faceplate and the more correct radio knobs. So what is "consistant" when you can see the emergency flasher in the ignition key hole. This particular example has the ignition key as part of the gear lock. ("Verrry Niiiiice" says Borat). I'm Guessing but it might also have one of John Copello's aluminium dashtrim reproductions. (will the owner please put his hand up and tell us?)

Compare with the first photo of a RHD car with this photo below of LHD Car. (and other photos below)
It is more correct to say "consistently to the inboard of the steering column"

Shown here are the flat style hub caps. We need a photo here of the 1/2 moon style mentioned, if someone has one please let me know

The black vinyl mention didn't start till Aug 67 AFAIK. Also note the LHD ignition key position mentioned earlier

* Front end first uses ball joint suspension, instead of venerable king pins. Someone please find a photo of this and I'll edit this post to include it.

This is (was?) Lisa's '66 cabrio before it was sold last year. I sure she won't mind the photos being used here. This photo just shows the battery location. I couldn't find a photo of a '66 with a correctly mounted battery. There should be a metal strap over the battery that clips onto the hook you can see on the engine bay floor against the battery spill tray.

Once again Lisa's car

Also Lisa's car

This is a run down of all the mirrors I can find.
First up is a NOS original graceful, swan-necked mirror Ghia. and below the earlier versions. One mounted on a low light looking very oxidized, the other showing the edging on the reflector that was part of the earliest versions. The thing to note here is the swivel point at the centre of the reflector sets the OG mirrors apart.
Another thing, a very rare (mythical?) long necked version exists for cars wanting swan-necked mirrors on both sides. The "A" pillar would obstruct the driver's line of sight to the normal version. I've never seen such a mirror nor a photo of it and I bet it is expensive. Like, think of a number, multiply it by five and convert it to Pounds Sterling

This below is the very good reproduction we see commonly see. It looks almost the same except the swivel point on the reflector is offset to one side. You can compare with the photo above

This is the door mounting mirror that a first appeared on the 1966 Ghia and remained till August 1967. Note the small reflector face compared with the later styles.

This is the larger faced mirror introduced after August 1967 and remained until the end (AFAIK)

These next two show the mirror opposite the diver's side on LHD cars. They have a long neck that positions the reflector slightly above the door's edge and back into the diver's line of sight.

For right hand drive cars, there are identical mirror pairs like this. Meaning there should be a long necked door mirror on the left side and a short necked mirror on the right side. However, these are hard to find and often we see the LHD mirror set on RHD cars.

Also there are similar versions of these door mirrors for other VW models of the time. However, they are designed for a surface presenting a different angle to the mirror. You can pick those incorrect mirrors on a Ghia because they slant up at an extreme angle. The ones shown here (last 4 photos) are correct for a Ghia and appear reasonably horizontal.

And a couple of final things....
The Window chrome changed from "C" shaped (stainless?) to "T" shaped aluminium with a matching change in the glass size in the middle of the model year. (a late change in model year). This is variation can cause difficulty when replacing wind screens with the wrong glass and rubber combinations

After this model year, ie starting from August '67, the rear wheel arch changed shape slightly by opening the curve at the rear by about an inch. This change caused the outer rear bumpers to become slightly shorter as well. An awareness of this is important when sourcing bumper parts and rear quarter panel clips. So '66 outer rear bumpers are compatible with all previous model years only and the rear quarter panels after '66 are not a match.

That's it we've done 1966 to death. How about some of the rest of you do the other model years?

Nicholas

Last edited by sputnick60 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
1957lowlight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: How to drill the holes of a Karmann Ghia Rear view Mirror Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I'm restoring a 1957 KG Coupé and I have found an acc swan hals exterior rear view mirror as pictured in this topic. Does anyone know where to drill the holes to fix it?

Thanks

Philip from Belgium
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: How to drill the holes of a Karmann Ghia Rear view Mirro Reply with quote

1957lowlight wrote:
Does anyone know where to drill the holes to fix it?

http://www.karmann-ghia-archiv.de/technikarchivspiegel.html
Nicholas
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These drawings were made by spectre6000 here on thesamba.
I've found them helpful and informative and thought I'd put them here to share with the entire community.
Dave

50's Lowlight

60's
[/img]

70 - 71

72 - 74

Brazil

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
vanity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dose anyone have a pic of a Lavender ghia…from what I can tell they only had that color way 60-62
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: