Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 70 Convertible/Narrowed IRS thread.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
Try this(I cheated):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LOL. You get the prize anyway.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove to Dubtoberfest in Tri-Cities then to Visit a friend in Walla Walla and then home. 400 mi round trip yesterday. What a blast to actually park your car on the grass INSIDE the show. First time ever. It's so cool to look from afar and see people taking pics of it and getting down on their knees to look at stuff. Met another person who had followed my thread on narrowing the rear end. My wife was actually impressed that he was impressed.
7:00 in the Marnin'

The trip

I got pics of the show, but none of my car in the show. I'm dumb...
I think I spent most of my time in the watercooled section...checking out all of the three-piece wheels. I think I'm becoming a wheel whore.
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruisin

chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
Cruisin

LOL. If that ain't ten pounds of shit in a five pound bag, I don't know what is.
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car's looking great, dude! Are you going to have the decklid painted to match, or are you keeping an eye out for another one in matching OG paint?

RIP HBB 10.10.84 - 12.25.09
1958 Ragtop Bug Build - Subaru Swap!
1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia FOR SALE
1957 Dove Blue Kombi field find
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoachGhia wrote:
The car's looking great, dude! Are you going to have the decklid painted to match, or are you keeping an eye out for another one in matching OG paint?

Honestly? I think I'm going to build one to hold a radiator. I'm thinking one crazy scoop out the passenger's side all asymmetrical and purpose-built looking would be cool. I want to run a rotary. First trip out, 55 in a 70 up the big hills, people passing me left and right, is not my bag.
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
RoachGhia wrote:

Honestly? I think I'm going to build one to hold a radiator. I'm thinking one crazy scoop out the passenger's side all asymmetrical and purpose-built looking would be cool. I want to run a rotary. First trip out, 55 in a 70 up the big hills, people passing me left and right, is not my bag.

At first, I was sure you were being sarcastic. But then you threw some logic into the mix with the 55 in a 70 thing, and you mentioned a funky MR2-style scoop (which I know is right up your alley, style-wise) and now I am not sure.

Regardless, if you want to make it go faster AND be reliable AND not suck ass, the a rotary with a radiator in the back is NOT the way to go. Do a little Subaru swap research, and check out how cleanly people are doing front radiator installations these days. You could have a clean, subtle, reliable, and non-hackjob-looking little bug on your hands there.

One of the conversions my buddy 55Superbeetle has done:

chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoachGhia wrote:

At first, I was sure you were being sarcastic. But then you threw some logic into the mix with the 55 in a 70 thing, and you mentioned a funky MR2-style scoop (which I know is right up your alley, style-wise) and now I am not sure.

Nope, dead serious.
I've been looking at Subaru as well. Most of the Subaru swaps I've seen necessitated cutting the engine compartment to hell. I like the wicked sound of the rotary and the asymmetrical single carb sitting way up high all by itself. Not sure yet what I'll do. If the radiator doesn't go in the back, it will go in place of the gas tank with a grille below the bumper in the front apron. I've figured that part for sure. Not sure what I'll do with the tank,but I know I hate holes in the hood.
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
RoachGhia wrote:

Nope, dead serious.
I've been looking at Subaru as well. Most of the Subaru swaps I've seen necessitated cutting the engine compartment to hell. I like the wicked sound of the rotary and the asymmetrical single carb sitting way up high all by itself. Not sure yet what I'll do. If the radiator doesn't go in the back, it will go in place of the gas tank with a grille below the bumper in the front apron. I've figured that part for sure. Not sure what I'll do with the tank,but I know I hate holes in the hood.

Confused Did you even look at any of those three pictures I posted? They show:

1. a Subaru engine installed without the engine compartment cut to hell.
2. a hood that does not have holes in it.
3. an engine that fits in its place, and doesn't burn oil like a stuck pig.

Here's another radiator install that my buddy did on a bug with a K20 Acura RSX engine in it:

The only problem with this method is that you end up having to cut out the wall behind the spare tire, for the radiator exhaust air. If you're totally against cutting that part out of the car, then your idea of using the tank hole as an exhaust hole would work. But I don't know if putting the radiator into that hole would be a good idea, just because you won't get any direct frontal air. If you put the radiator up front, like in these pics but angled forwards at the top, you could still use the tank hole as an exhaust hole for the air. I've seen people do it that way, and then just mount a skinny spun aluminum tank right in front of the dash and wiring. Didn't seem very clean to me though.

The reason I am so interested in this is that I want to come up with a super clean way to put a radiator in my 58, without cutting it all to hell. And I've got to say, with your sweet choice in wheels that goes against the VW-scene norm, I think a watercooled swap would be right at home on your car.

But dont' do a rotary. Even the RX7 guys hate them and are swapping in LS1s to get rid of those 1.3 liter, two-stroke, oil burning, loud, obnoxious, underpowered, short-lived lumps of shit. The way to go is watercooled modern flat 4. It's like it was meant to be.

chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoachGhia wrote:

Confused Did you even look at any of those three pictures I posted? They show:

1. a Subaru engine installed without the engine compartment cut to hell.
2. a hood that does not have holes in it.
3. an engine that fits in its place, and doesn't burn oil like a stuck pig.

1. I'll choke you.
2. I did look at the pics.
3. I said I was considering it. I'm taking your advice seriously. This is our bag and most don't dig it.

RoachGhia wrote:

I've seen people do it that way, and then just mount a skinny spun aluminum tank right in front of the dash and wiring. Didn't seem very clean to me though.

I still think mounting it out back is best. Then you're isolating all the craziness to the decklid. If it was purpose built, maybe carbon fiber with a gigantor, obnoxious, riveted aluminum scoop or something...

Probably the cleanest install I've seen. Nothing cut except a slit in the bottom of the front apron for a scoop.
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:

Probably the cleanest install I've seen. Nothing cut except a slit in the bottom of the front apron for a scoop.

Yeah, I like that one too. It made me raise an eyebrow when I was researching radiator methods for my car. But, like any of them, there are some problems. I don't like the spun aluminum gas tank, especially the thought of raising it upwards in the car, which raises the center of gravity. But if I wasn't wanting to autocross my car, I wouldn't worry about that.

Also, I can't believe that it cools very well. The air has to come up from the front, travel up the backside of the hood, then fall downwards into the gas tank hole, then get sucked under the front end of the pan. I would think there wouldn't be enough negative pressure there to draw the air downwards through the radiator. And not only that, but there's going to be air escaping through the dashboard, which will also make it hot in the car.

And it just looks cheesy. Those fans need to be seriously beefed up. Also, I think if you mounted the radiator in the spare tire area, then had a duct that went up and over, exiting out the tank hole, that would work better... but still not very well. You could even weld up a custom aluminum gas tank that still went in the tank hole, maybe just 2/3 the width of the stock one or something, with the duct using the last 1/3.

Also, you're fighting a losing battle if you're not using frontal air. I haven't ever heard of a rear-mount radiator working very well at all, except for sand rails or buggies. IF you used the MR2-style scoops you were talking about, (which I also like, BTW) that went up next to the rear windows (of a sedan) then maybe you could get away with it since you would be getting frontal air. Maybe NACA ducts in the front part of the rear fender, with tubes leading into the engine compartment? Maybe have a fake convertible top-shaped object that housed the radiator and was a big ass scoop? You'd lose your roof, but whatever.

I dunno. I'm still trying to come up with something brilliant for my car's radiator that doesn't cut anything up but still works flawlessly. I'll let you know when I come up with it, and you can send me $10K for the plans.

Jerry Hundley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome vert man. Very Happy Cool

Because Stock Sucks!!!!
70 baywindow deluxe
65 slammed bug
69 bug
64 drag buggy
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoachGhia wrote:
you can send me $10K for the plans.

LOL. I've already spent too much on a fat chick.

Jerry Hundley wrote:
Awesome vert man. Very Happy Cool

Thank you. I'm glad I built it, but I wouldn't do it again.
Cliff@BrownBags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this might be a dumb question but what do you do about the axles when you narrow the trailing arms . thanks in advance.
any pics of your jig?
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff@BrownBags wrote:
this might be a dumb question but what do you do about the axles when you narrow the trailing arms . thanks in advance.
any pics of your jig?

You use the short side axle from a fully automatic Type III. You obviously have to source two of them, one for each side. It's 26mm shorter, I believe. My jig essentially consisted of a bunch of caster spanners, washers and a piece of 1/4" plate to take measurements from. I bolted the plate to the spring perch using the spanners as spacers and took measurements with a pair of calipers from the back of the plate to the back of the carrier bearing housing. The spring perch where the spring plate bolts to the trail arm is exactly perpendicular to the back of the carrier bearing housing flange. The camber is built into the face of the carrier bearing housing. I've heard some good and bad about the two places that I've seen build them with a jig. When I got done, I laid a straight edge along the rotor and it was so ridiculously perpendicular to the spring perch, it made me cry a little.

Caster spanners:
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot...I also had the seal surface on the back of the rotor replicated and machined back 1/4" so the rotor slipped on the axle that much farther. I then made my own caliper mounts and placed them 1/4" in farther on the arm. Finally, I had a longer spacer made for the front so that the axle nut would still rest at the same place and the cotter pin hole would line up.
Cliff@BrownBags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the info, i really appreciate it
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this vert. You started a whole new catagory.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:

Very Happy
Lidpainter
Samba Anti-Hero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:

"Reis"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: