Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can someone take a look at my geometry so far?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Can someone take a look at my geometry so far? Reply with quote

I'm setting up my Scat 1.25s this weekend. This is my current wipe pattern. The view is looking at the head as if the engine is just sitting there on the bench. I also have no fine motor control with a Sharpie, so ignore my finger. Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I understand that the contact point is supposed to be slightly offset to promote valve rotation, but my pad is too far up. At half lift right now, the adjuster and pushrod are dead-in-line. Shimming out makes the pad shift even further up, and the half-lift alignment goes wacky. So I've come to the conclusion that I need to shave a bit off the bases, which I can do here at the house. However, while the pad may shift down, the half-lift alignment will go wacky the other way. What to do? Compromise? Run it?

Should also add that a valve job at 5,000 miles is not part of the plan. I've read that I may have to compromise with 1.25s, but I'd still like to get it as close as I can. Smile
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that pattern created with an adjustable pushrod or fixed length?
Do you have taller lash caps available?
Get the pattern on the lashcaps sorted out and the pushrod length should fall in to place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an adjustable, and I tried different lengths (and readjusting the adjuster) to compensate, but it didn't make any difference. I have the adjuster at 1.5 turns from bottomed out.

Turns out that my pushrod and adjuster aren't quite as inline as I thought they were.

I'll shave the stands just a little bit.
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little more work tonight. I have cut about 0.060" off the rocker stands. The half-lift pushrod/adjuster alignment looks much better and the pad is getting closer to being centered up and down.

I'm also concerned on the side-to-side alignment. I don't have much room to shim, and certainly not enough to move it that far over. It seems like all the arms are twisted slightly, as they are only contacting on the right side. Is this as good as it will get with these rockers?
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever set up Scat rockers?
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried them a couple times. I don't like them because of the reasons you have illustrated here. Who should have to do all that??

Take a look at this - of course different valve lengths and cam lift matter and would affect things, but this is way out of line compared to Bergs and CB. The article is unfinished but I think you get the idea. The adjuster alignment could have been better on the Bergs but they have to fit a range of combos, so nothing can all be perfect. The CBs worked a little better for me, but are not covered in the article yet.

http://www.carburetorclinic.com/rockergeometry/rocker_geometry.htm

I like my rockers to contact just a little offset from center. Too much means the wiper might run off the edge of the lashcap, which means increased point loading.

CB and Berg rockers are much better.
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I really didn't want to drop the coin on yet another set of rockers. This is my second set already. But It doesn't seem like I can get the wiper centered unless I cut down the sides of the rocker stands either. Should I have just taken your advice earlier and done the FK7/1.4s? Or maybe a better question is realistically, how bad off am I right now?
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess at this point, I'd just get them centered as much as you can left to right, which is not completely centered, and if your pushrods line up with the adjusters at half lift, and the wipers never pattern off the lash caps, just run it.

Dunno what to tell you about the advice and cost. I suggest what's worked for me in the past. People take it or leave it.
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mharney wrote:
I guess at this point, I'd just get them centered as much as you can left to right, which is not completely centered, and if your pushrods line up with the adjusters at half lift, and the wipers never pattern off the lash caps, just run it.

The adjusters and pushrods line up due to me working the stands a bit. I can move them over a little, but not enough to get them where they should be.

mharney wrote:
Dunno what to tell you about the advice and cost. I suggest what's worked for me in the past. People take it or leave it.

I do appreciate and value your advice. I just can't bring myself to drop another $300 on a cam and rockers now and was hoping to make these work.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can shave the rocker pad bases some to gain some height on the valve stem. Or you can also "sink" the valves a little more into the seats = this will also give you some height.

You will not always get everything perfect. So get it to almost perfect.

I am not fond of having the rocker adjuster and pushrod "straight up" at half lift. I set up all my purpose-built engines to straight up or slightly over straight up alignment at FULL LIFT...when the spring pressures are the highest. I found this to be very beneficial and have less adjuster tip breakeage during HIGH RPM use.

I found a literature that offered the idea above and have converted ever since. Some literatures do not even care about angularity at all but only cared about the roller or tip wipe areas.

Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
You can shave the rocker pad bases some to gain some height on the valve stem. Or you can also "sink" the valves a little more into the seats = this will also give you some height.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I had been shaving the bases. I stopped at 0.060" when I got the pushrod and adjuster inline at half-lift. Definitely not set up to do seat work without sending the heads out.

nsracing wrote:
I am not fond of having the rocker adjuster and pushrod "straight up" at half lift. I set up all my purpose-built engines to straight up or slightly over straight up alignment at FULL LIFT...when the spring pressures are the highest. I found this to be very beneficial and have less adjuster tip breakeage during HIGH RPM use.

I found a literature that offered the idea above and have converted ever since. Some literatures do not even care about angularity at all but only cared about the roller or tip wipe areas.

Hope this helps.

By "straight up", do you mean in line? This engine won't be pushed past 5 or 6k. And the wipe area was what got me started on this in the first place. The pads are almost centered up and down on the caps. The pads aren't hanging off the edges of the caps either, but they are not as centered as I would like. It also seems like only the edge of the pad is touching the cap. If the whole pad were touching, wouldn't my wipe pattern be longer?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Straight up" is in-line as far as I am concerned. That is what I call it.

Why don't you post the side shots...show zero lift, mid-lift and full lift views? This will help a bunch so people can give the proper advice.
Bajaman65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the exact same problem with the Scat rockers, I set them
like Nick said and they worked fine but I pulled the engine apart after
about 5000 miles due to a hydro-lock from a bad float and when I
put it back together I got some CB rockers. Much better.
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh yes........more Scat quality testimonial! Wink

Or should that be quality Scat testimonial?
GDOG57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with Scat quality.People just need to know what they are doing when they build motors.I have Scat 1.4's and no problems.If it takes extra work,so what!!! Rolling Eyes

Last edited by GDOG57 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being off-center like that just helps promote rotation...

What’s That Noise?!?
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I have:

Zero lift

Half lift

Full lift

I should also point out that my rocker arm side clearance ranges from 0.014" to 0.022". I have about 4 spare shims, so there's no way to get down to the 0.005-0.008" range. Better looser anyway, right?
GDOG57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong!That's too much clearance,you need the specified .005-.008.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the side views of the valves and pads?
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero lift

Half lift

Full lift

Obviously, the pads are still off, but the pushrod and adjuster are fine. I also discovered that the side shims from my Empi rockers will fit the Scat shafts, but they are all 0.030". I will shave down a few of them to make some custom shims and have another attempt at getting that clearance down.

And now that I've cut the bases down, my adjustable pushrod is too long, even at its shortest. Should I cut a few thou off the arms now too? This is a nightmare.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: