Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rusted front crossmember NEED HELP!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Rusted front crossmember NEED HELP! Reply with quote

They say rust never sleeps, and it hasn't on my '56 oval. Does anybody make the replacement part for this rusted lower front crossmember? And does anyone have experience repairing it? I'm sure I'm not the only one to face this problem. It doesn't need the whole framehead. That's all in good shape. It's the lower crossmember. All assistance is appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if there is that much rust you may beed the whole framehead. As soon as I started cutting and welding on my frame head I started chasing the rust, there is always way more than you think.... A small pin hole can turn into a baseball sized hole once you start grinding....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do it the right way... take the car off the pan, media blast the pan, drill out spotwelds and then my opinion is to find someone on thesamba that cuts up a car and has the part ready for sale, cut up. buy the section, bead blast it and use solid og metal. aftermarket repair panels suck! Confused
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone repros that style of crossmember/framehead bottom. Like what was said earlier, your best bet would be to find a used one in good condition.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate them, but because this is a running, driving car, I would prefer not to remove the body and start dismantling everything.

I understand that a certain anount of rust will have to be cut away. It's inevitable. But I would like to repair this structurally without dismantling the car. I don't need to make it factory fresh or score vintage show points, and the car doesn't need to outlive me. I just want to make it safe.

I would prefer to keep the original chassis, so swapping to a different pan is not an option.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can replace it in the car...its a pain because your working on your back and all the rust and debris are falling on you, but you can do it. I have done it before.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you cut a part from a donor car or use a replacement part?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: