Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loss of Power in third gear- back again...3-11-09
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried swapping the carb?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your engine is behaving at it's worse, open the gas cap as Ronnie suggested; see if there's a vacuum sound. The fuel filter view is not consistent so don't be freaked out by a full, empty, or part full one. Sometimes a full one means the gas is just pouring into the carb and not being stopped by a full float. If it were doing the problem, and you were over on the side of the road, and you held the throttle wide open what would you describe happens: dies, sputters, starts to rev then dies, backfires, etc.
pandanom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icekoffee wrote:
New piece of info.... I just had the same issue with the truck at my destination after limping along i took a look at my motor. The mine from my pump to my car is FULL and so is the filter there... it is so full that there is absolutely no air in the filter at all. seems like the carb isnt letting gas in... wtf

I think there should be some air in the filter. I would remove or loosen the tank cap so I know it is vented and try it again.
LittleThunder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icekoffee wrote:
ok I am back at it again. The truck is running awesome. Good power. climbs hills nicely. etc

although every once in a while it will feel like it is starving out in fourth gear. I will lose power (on hill or flat) and it will sputter and i am forced to down shift. I pull over and sit for a second and i can take off once again without any problems. Its almost like the carb bowls empty out and have to fill up again or something like that. The truck doesnt die just loses power and i have to down shift.

so far i have....
changed the oil
cleaned oil screen
adjusted valves
replaced carb
replaced plugs
replaced plug wires
replaced points
replaced condenser
replaced fuel filter
replaced fuel pump
replaced coil
Drained my gas tank. (there is not screen in my tank) put new gas in

any other ideas? lol

I don't see timing on the list.
bugcollections
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possibility that has already been sort of mentioned is vapor lock. Check your fuel line where it passes the #3 exhaust port and make sure it is where it is supposed to be and not dropping down too close to the exhaust port. Also check your oil temp to make sure the engine is not running too hot. A hot engine compartment can lead to overheating of the fuel line with resulting vapor lock.
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the engine overheating? I didn't see what dizzy you're using? If it's a vac advance, maybe the advance isn't working or sticking? Also if your timing is to far retarded that will cause an engine to overheat and lose of power.

009 set the timing at 30 degrees total at 3000 rpm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it smoke black when its dying?

Also did you change your distributer cap? I reread the list and did not see that. A bad cap can cause intermittent problems. Carbon trailing and such.

Heat is a big issue, My splitty started running like crap when I first took it to the swap meet, but an old timer told me to fix the latch and it would run cooler. I was worried that I wouldn't get home (never took the splitty this far before) But I wedged the door shut and by golly it never sputtered once.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: