Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this decal?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: What is this decal? Reply with quote

I'm stealing one of madspaniards pics, so I apologize for the theft, but.......

What is the decal on the passenger side, in the lower rear corner of the door? I've seen it on a number of vans that are still sporting original paint, but I've never seen a close up where I can see what it is.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And then the next question would be, does anyone make a repro????

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sticker on the door is the factory manufacturer's info. It shows date, etc.

The top sticker on the B pillar is the California RV sticker (I mentioned this in the "drinking in the back" thread).

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
krimpoo
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would anyone want to reproduce a sticker?
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krimpoo wrote:
why would anyone want to reproduce a sticker?

To sell them.

Most westy stickers are repro'd, not sure about those though, IIRC the date on them is a series of tiny holes that make up the numbers, that might make it tricky to repro.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krimpoo
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sell them? who would want to buy a repo sticker of a vans date and other boring info?
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krimpoo wrote:
sell them? who would want to buy a repo sticker of a vans date and other boring info?

Van owners.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foodeater wrote:
krimpoo wrote:

Van owners.

I gotta agree with that. What is the actual law or whatever in Californy that demands these stickers which seem to be so valuable that people want to reproduce them.
?
I don't really ache to by one...... Think
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, for those who replied with information, thanks!! Sounds like it's not a good candidate for someone to reproduce since it's van-specific.

Fot those who replied with their opinion that it was a stupid question......uh.........okay. Didn't really ask for opinions, but whatever.

Seems to me a lot of people out there are buying replacement decals for the poptops, the camper inlets, etc. Fact is there was an original decal in that spot, and I was curious as to what it was, and whether it might be available.

Answered and done.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that opinions weren't solicited, but think the door decal is cool. I wish mine wasn't so faded. And yes, I have looked for a reproduction.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 1992 I have been looking for a repro. of the manufacturing date sticker found on westfalias to no avail.
It is a very thick sticker and some info is printed and some is stamped through it.
krimpoo
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiram please dont be so sensitive.

Nobody said your question was dumb.

Personally i am dumbfounded by someone wanting a sticker that doesnt say something interesting on it. Im always flabbergasted by folks who like to meticulously make their vans 100% original in the strangest and most esoteric way....there are no dumb questions...only dumb answers.

If you dont find your repo you can have my sticker that says....."doing my part to piss off the religious right".
Baxta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krimpoo wrote:
Im always flabbergasted by folks who like to meticulously make their vans 100% original in the strangest and most esoteric way....there are no dumb questions...only dumb answers.

There are those of us who want to run collector's plates, and thus, need our vans to appear 100% bone stock. Right down to the decals.
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, one of the great features of this bulletin board software is the "Ignore" feature. Just in case you don't know about it, all you need to do is
-click on "profile" in a posting of another user that you would find useful to ignore.
-Once you've pulled up their profile, you will see an option to click that says "add to your ignore list"
-click here, and save/exit.

From them on, every time you are reading a thread that "xxxxxxx" has posted to, you will only see an empty post, not their content. kinda nice.

Usefull, huh?

It's a feature I'm going to increase my usage of. If anyone out there wants to ignore me, then that's cool too.

McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krimpoo wrote:
..Personally i am dumbfounded by someone wanting a sticker that doesnt say something interesting on it.....

Like this one?

View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McVanagon wrote:
krimpoo wrote:
..Personally i am dumbfounded by someone wanting a sticker that doesnt say something interesting on it.....

Like this one?

Dammint...Poo Poo on the shoes again. Will they ever learn Embarassed Dumb used three times in one paragraph with flabbergasted and esoteric. : Mine was removed and not placed back when repainted. I do not miss it, but, for nostalgia sake would purchase one and pay, well, $150.00 for it.
dbo550
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiram6 wrote:
You know, one of the great features of this bulletin board software is the "Ignore" feature. Just in case you don't know about it, all you need to do is
-click on "profile" in a posting of another user that you would find useful to ignore.
-Once you've pulled up their profile, you will see an option to click that says "add to your ignore list"
-click here, and save/exit.

From them on, every time you are reading a thread that "xxxxxxx" has posted to, you will only see an empty post, not their content. kinda nice.

Usefull, huh?

It's a feature I'm going to increase my usage of. If anyone out there wants to ignore me, then that's cool too.

Amen brother. I just found the ignore feature last night. It just sucks because so many people quote him anyway so you still get to read some of the nonsense.
1995 Volvo T5-R, Yellow
1998 Jetta GLX
bmwmango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Easy Cha Cha Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the ignore feature. I wasn't aware of it. I myself probably won't be using it. Good or bad, I want to know what is going on. If one poster irks you and you put them on your ignore list, they don't go away, but rather the knowledge that they are willing to share goes away. (at least to the ignorer)

I believe in the free exchange of knowledge that this forum allows us. For me to limit the amount of knowledge I can view does not make sense to me.

If this post isn't your cup of tea, ignore it.

As for the repro sticker, perhaps you could take a digital photo of someone else’s sticker and take it to a graphic artist to alter to fit the needs of your vehicle. You might be able to do this yourself with photo shop or some other software. Once you have it like you want it, take it to a T-shirt place that has a vinyl machine. They should be able to help you.

One of my favorites:

Dick Cheney before he dicks you!
1986 BMW K75 Parts (Deer 1, Beemer 0)
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose of trying to reproduce original stickers no matter what the text says in them is no other than keep or return your van to as close to original conditon as possible.

That is the number one reason people reproduce, sell and buy these stickers. I try to keep original stickers and replace any missing stickers too.

The whole thing about keeping a Vanagon/Westy as original as possible is tricky. Sometimes you want to add that little cool feature but you know is an aftermarket mod. I'm trying to stay within VW products, for example, South African VW stuff is good in my books. Although, I must say, I've been weak and failed to stay VW, for example the Shurflo faucet, Van Cafe spare tire carrier, and other little things. Good thing is that I always keep the stock parts so I can put them back to original stock look if I want.
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an even better and more effective 'Ignore' feature available to all of us on the forum. If there's a post or a thread that you're not interested in, just ignore it.
'96 BMW R1100GS
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously getting into this late, but none of my four rigs have the door sticker although I vaguely recall my westy used to have one with, like Rockfish said, production info and a punch-thru or dimpled letter/number combo on the bottom that I thought was the VIN #. But all of my rigs have original paint and I don't see any residual decal shadow remaining so they must have thoroughly rotted off (if the others ever had one).

We now know about the top sticker on the pillar but I still don't know what those two others below it are for .... maybe something unique to a particular State.

People obviously express themselves differently and we don't have those in-person visual cues to know what someone really means or to be able to smooth things over quickly when there are differing opinions ergo that's always a problem with this electronic communication thing. Discussions and debates become arguments and eventually total war. People begin to hold grudges and it carries over between different threads.

If people want to censor individuals or threads that's fine by me but won't do it personally. I'd rather try to read between the lines of those who sometimes come across a little hostile and get their meaning.

100 years from now we'll all be dead and sitting around the vanagon round table pounding down brewskis and rehashing old times while wondering what all the fuss was way back when as we watch the generations after us on earth driving our old rigs, yelling, " ... hey man, don't drive my syncro like that ! Hey ... take it easy ... I put a lot of work and bucks into that you know ..." Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: