Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cremation question
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Cremation question Reply with quote

My wife and I have been trying to figure out what we should have done with our ashes once we are cremated. We have 2 boys- 10 and almost 17, and I for one, can't see them packing urns around for years or wanting to do something with them other then keep the urns in a closet.. Laughing . On the other hand, if we request that our ashes be spread somewhere, would there be a need for them to "visit" the place in which the ashes were spread? I personally feel that men/guys would not feel the guilt to visit a place (whether it be a grave-site or a designated "ash-spreading site" as a woman might feel. I for one, haven't a clue as to what should be done with my ashes, flush 'em? bury them and plant a tree?
For those who have had parents / relatives cremated at their request, have you felt the need / guilt to visit the place (if so requested) in which their ashes were spread?
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Pryor wanted his ashes mixed with douchepowder so he could go in one more time. Surprised
EdW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot 'em into space. If your kids come for a visit, you'll know they're swimming in gravy!

Quote:
I would call him a dick, but a dick has a head on it

Last edited by bljones on Today 4:20am; edited 1 time in total
Terry Cloyd
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cremation question Reply with quote

mynameismud wrote:
My wife and I have been trying to figure out what we should have done with our ashes once we are cremated. We have 2 boys- 10 and almost 17, and I for one, can't see them packing urns around for years or wanting to do something with them other then keep the urns in a closet.. Laughing . On the other hand, if we request that our ashes be spread somewhere, would there be a need for them to "visit" the place in which the ashes were spread? I personally feel that men/guys would not feel the guilt to visit a place (whether it be a grave-site or a designated "ash-spreading site" as a woman might feel. I for one, haven't a clue as to what should be done with my ashes, flush 'em? bury them and plant a tree?
For those who have had parents / relatives cremated at their request, have you felt the need / guilt to visit the place (if so requested) in which their ashes were spread?

I would wait until your oldest boy is about 40 years old before you think about it Rolling Eyes
EdW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cremation question Reply with quote

Terry Cloyd wrote:
mynameismud wrote:

I would wait until your oldest boy is about 40 years old before you think about it Rolling Eyes

LOL, that's it! Don't plan ahead at all for another 23 years!! Laughing

Quote:

mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cremation question Reply with quote

Terry Cloyd wrote:

exactly...that answers the question and makes perfect sense, wait until something happens.. Rolling Eyes
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like visiting my dad's grave just cause it's a place where I like to think. I get nachos from Taco Time and go and sit. There's a small tree with a wind chime that I always end up untangling. It shouldn't be a matter of guilt any fucking way. They should WANT to visit the place. Unless, of course it's in the middle of nowhere. I usually visit my dad's grave on the way up to 69Jim's house, as it's only a couple miles away. I make it a "visit old dusty guys" trip.
gonebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my grandparents on my mothers side, we never did anything with the ashes. Just left them to the crematorium.

Personally I think that graves and urns are a reminder that someone is dead. I prefer to look through old family albums to reminisce and remember them. For me that's way it's more focused on the good times when they were alive, not the fact they have ceased to be.

Everyone greave differently though,

Alex
splitboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Cremation question Reply with quote

I'm with gonebuggy. My sis dragged our father's urn around for years and if his ashes had been scattered to the four winds, like he wanted, no matter where you went he'd be there.

And I second the old family pics cause my granny gave me the entire box going all the way back to the early days of photogtraphy. Had a relative named Saint Elmo something or other. nice to have names to go with the pics too.

Wink

66DC
Y2KBug
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get turned into a diamond.

http://www.lifegem.com/

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spread some of a dear friend's cremains at a favorite spot at his favorite road-racing circuit. His widow thought it was great. Very Happy
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
I like visiting my dad's grave just cause it's a place where I like to think. I get nachos from Taco Time and go and sit. There's a small tree with a wind chime that I always end up untangling. It shouldn't be a matter of guilt any fucking way. They should WANT to visit the place. Unless, of course it's in the middle of nowhere. I usually visit my dad's grave on the way up to 69Jim's house, as it's only a couple miles away. I make it a "visit old dusty guys" trip.

Ever been kicked in the pussy by an old guy? I can't believe how much smarter I am than you and yet I am only ten years older. Laughing
EdW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
Ever been kicked in the pussy by an old guy?

Nope, can't say I have. Sorry about your luck. Very Happy

Quote:

Terry Cloyd
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cremation question Reply with quote

mynameismud wrote:
Terry Cloyd wrote:

exactly...that answers the question and makes perfect sense, wait until something happens.. Rolling Eyes

Well, if you have a plan about your life, then call God and tell him what your plan is. He needs a good laugh Laughing
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cremation question Reply with quote

Terry Cloyd wrote:
mynameismud wrote:
Terry Cloyd wrote:

Well, if you have a plan about your life, then call God and tell him what your plan is. He needs a good laugh Laughing

You have his number? I seem to have lost it Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cheapo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Cremation question Reply with quote

Terry Cloyd wrote:
mynameismud wrote:

You work for FEMA, don't you?
Tattooedbullies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that I don't feel the need to visit any grave site/ash site, whatever. I know that I carry a bit of those I care about with me in my heart. A person is not their ashes, body, or any of that jazz. JMO. My pop STILL had my mom mom in her bedroom closet, she died in 97. I think it would be better to just let go, grieve and let that crap out. I know when I die, I would appreciate my wishes being followed, but damn, if someone wants to spend time with me, they better do it now, when it counts:)
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you or your Wife and Kids have a favorite place that you enjoy going to or visiting? Keep that in mind. My Brother's ashes were placed in Monterey Bay in California because he always liked to hang out there. I have no idea where my Grandparents, various Aunt and Uncles, and a few Cousins are buried. If I did I do not think that I would visit their sites but I can go to Monterey Bay, breathe the ocean air, kick the sand around and know that my Brother is there. And me, my ashes are going back to Hawaii where I was born....................
jmsmilin
Samba's Most Posted

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let vanhag take care of them

(o\ ! /o) | o \/ o | (o)=|=(o) [o\|_|_|/o] \m/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Deciding what to have done with your body is a good thing.

Deciding what to do about your ashes? Let those who are left behind do whatever would be meaningful to them. Some want to carry Dad around for years, some want to bury Him in a conventional cemetery, some want to spread the ashes in a meaningful place. Don't dictate how they should grieve and remember you, to each their own.

Do make sure you leave a will and that important papers are with someone who will know where they are, pay off your all your bills and prepay your final arrangements. Don't worry about the rest. Just Don't burden your children with your passing but leave them free to remember and love you.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: