Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

missing/backfiring at cruising speed..kads or burnt valve?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: missing/backfiring at cruising speed..kads or burnt valve? Reply with quote

I'm running dual kads and 009 set at 32 deg total advance on a stock 1600dp...No balance tube and the carbs do have the check balls in accel pump tube..
checked and re-checked the valves..
replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, condenser and coil...
sooo here's my issue...

When I got the carbs they had sat with some water/bad gas in them on a baja.. cleaned them out/ rebuild kits/ new floats and they ran fine for a while...

I have cleaned these carbs out numerous times and the issue keeps popping up.. it used to clear out after a while, now it's doing it all the time.

Runs good on acceleration or wide open throttle, but when you let off to cruise or just maintain a speed it starts missing and backfiring. When I unplug #1 or #2 spark plug wire there isn't much change at idle, but when I unplug #3 or #4 the engine wants to die.. I am assuming that my problem is in right side carb.... but could it be a burnt valve or something else I've overlooked?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problems with my Kads. I had to rejet them. Also...check the squirt adjustments, they might be loading up the carbs. Did you go to lowbugget.com? He is an expert and has a trouble shooting guide to Kadron's. Maybe check your idle jets and make sure they aren't plugged.

www.lowbugget.com

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could find out if the right carb is the problem by swapping the carbs and seeing if the problem follows the carb.

You can rule out valve problems with a leak-down test.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it was a burnt valve, it would do it non stop, all the time. burnt valves are not intermittent problems. as far as pulling the plug wires while running, small dual carbs generally run on 2 cylinders at idle, my ICT's do that too. are you running a balance tube?
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idling on 2 cylinders comes from the firing order of the engine. The two that fall out with dual single throats are 1 and 3. He's having problems on 1 & 2.

Any chance that side is running rich enough to foul the #1 and #2 plugs?

Max
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after doing some more reading lastnite i pulled the idle jet on that side to find an insect wing lodged inside.. ugh!! I guess it got in there somehow and was just never blown out during cleaning. Embarassed made me feel like a real moron

thanks for all your responses!!
hutton65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at lest you didn't have a rat get into your engine compartment and ruin your freshly painted engine tin! makes me wonder why I let my wife have a cat.........
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: