Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1500 83mm barrels and pistons on a 36hp?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetleseb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok

I have a 1950 25 hp case with a stock crank and rods

I'll fit bigger valves (33 inlet 30 exhaust I think) and do some small porting work to some 36 heads, and up the compression to about 7.5:1

Twin 28pci carbs, 383 dizzy, 6volt. unsure on cam, straight cut gears cos I love the sound

83mm barrels and pistons using 1500 remachined barrels

I don't want anything too mad, 50hp would be great, 60hp would be fantastic. Its running 1950 brakes Shocked . Something like my old stock but very well built (not by me) 1300sp would be good.

My Preferences are

Reliability
Rebuildability, if I break it I can buy it again!
Cost
Power

The 40hp big bore pistons are tempting but I can't get them in the UK. Are they abundent in the US? I know of several sources but will they all dry up in a few years?

Now back to these pistons.............

Cheers

Seb

Last edited by beetleseb on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
beetleseb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the Compression height on a 36hp piston?

I'm away from home till the weekend so can't measure it.

its the centre of the wrist pin to the top of the piston if anyones got one about

Seb
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my mind is 38mm
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: 83.50mm Pistons / Cylinders Reply with quote

83.50 is about the safest I would go...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetleseb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to go bigger on the next one but I think I'll need to run a counterweight crank too.

With a stock 64mm crank, I agree 83mm is as far as I'd go, I'd like to do a 87mm with a 74 or even 76mm crank, but thats a pipe dream for a while.

Seb
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

counterweight is not really needed except you will run over 6000 rpm.
its more important to keep the moving mass low. balanced stock 64/74mm cranks will be the best way. 87mm bore is a real dream in a 36hp head and case too Wink
beetleseb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine I'm doing now needs to be reliable and nippy. The other one just wants to be nuts and quick Cool I don't even have a car lined up for it.

Anythings possable espesially with a big hammer Laughing

Seb
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: "H" Beam 36hp Con. Rods Reply with quote

I have been reseaching the idea of having some "H" beam connecting rods made up for the 36hp engine. As bigger pistons and longer stroke crankshaft are being used nowadays, the need for a stronger link is necessary to prevent the little beast from blowing itself up! I have taken apart engines that were built by "experts/Bozo's" and found bent conn. rods?!?! I will post more info. as progess continues....Cheers! Mr. Okrasa Cool

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetleseb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "H" Beam 36hp Con. Rods Reply with quote

Mr. Okrasa wrote:
I have been reseaching the idea of having some "H" beam connecting rods made up for the 36hp engine. As bigger pistons and longer stroke crankshaft are being used nowadays, the need for a stronger link is necessary to prevent the little beast from blowing itself up! I have taken apart engines that were built by "experts/Bozo's" and found bent conn. rods?!?! I will post more info. as progess continues....Cheers! Mr. Okrasa Cool

Your Not the only one Very Happy I've been measuring up 2" chevy rods with overseized bushes for the 50mm journals of the 36hp. You could do something similar on the porsche crank

Seb
tommy-turtle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julio Iniguez wrote:
grueni wrote:
changing the 36hp rods from 20mm pin bearing to 22mm work and up to 100HP I wouldn't think about problems.
but there are a1ot aftermarket pistons with 83,5mm or 83mm with 20mm pin diameter.

You are correct, that's how Mark H. found the ones for my motor. Hint, you can check out pistons for late '80's early '90's Japanese.

Julio

Give it away why don't you Wink

henry roberts wrote:
possibly nissan CA18DET ?

getting close?

Wrong Manufacture

Another HINT look for piston for stock motors.
Hastings still makes rings for these pistons.
Running with a Porsche rod is not a problem
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetleseb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still stuck

Mahle has a good search on their website but I can't find anything jap.

The Peaugot 205gti pistons are close and are the way I may go

But someone PM me the answer, please!

Seb
tommy-turtle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetleseb wrote:
I'm still stuck

Mahle has a good search on their website but I can't find anything jap.

The Peugeot 205gti pistons are close and are the way I may go

But someone PM me the answer, please!

Seb

What Cam?
You are still running 64 stroke? You say you want to run this in a 25hp case
I would not use the 25hp case because you are going to have to change the studs if you run 36 heads, and good one are not a euro a dozen The cylinder head tin for the heads have to be changed. Run what ever you want , just my suggestion.

It is not like you are doing a 1600 to a 1641 swap here. Each step is different. first you start with the 25hp non accelerator pump carb and swap that out and hone the venturi and you think you 25hp is a new car. then you swap the dist, and that car is even more alive. Then the next step what ever you do is a big step. The pistons that Julio has in his car might pop out of the top of your motor. And none of this stuff is at the corner speed shop. Actually the piston that he is using actually will not work in you car because he is using a different crank.

Here is another hint that will help you in your piston search

"TOTO
, I don't think we are in Kansas any more"

Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow is some times the same as Intake, Compression, Power, and Exhaust , but some times it is not!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetleseb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sussed the piston, just gotta buy some now. Looks like mk1/2 Mazda MX5 1800 8valve will do the job. (Now that really does give it away) Very Happy

My cars a 50 so making it look like a 25hp is a non brainer to me. I'd have thought you where more worried about me full flowing and boring out the cylinder holes on my 25hp aluminium case. 36hp heads can be modded to use early tin etc.

The engine I have is made from parts and swaps. I started off with a free 36hp and by some generous swaps and blags I've got several 36 heads and cases, a 25hp longblock, 383 dizzy, split bug genny and reg etc and the project so far owes me nothing. The only stock bits I need are tinware. I'd not be doing this to a mint stock 25hper. The case I'm using is okay but the cam gear had started to rot away Shocked

I'm planning on running a mr okrassa cam, I have both 36 and 25hp heads. Yes its a 64mm crank, simply becouse I can. I do have a 356 crank on its way but I'll save that for the next one.

All hints and tips welcome

Seb
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what happened with this? did it get built?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 83mm barrels and pistons on a 36hp? Reply with quote

I am wondering if there is a difference in the VW 1500 83mm piston & cilinders and in the 1385cc 40hp 83mm big bore kit for a 1200? Are the cilinders the same? Which will fit better?

I am able to buy a 1385 big bore kit for a 40hp motor but would like to fit that to my 36hp motor, icm with a 74 DPR crank,
What machining must be done and which challenges might be faced?

Currently running a 1192cc with WW Okrasa kit, with later 1200 domed pistons and some other mild modifications (WW okrasa camshaft, lightened flighwheel, lightened & balanced rods, carbs by Joe)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: