Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Ghia Coupe dual carb and power solution
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
james m. stein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: 1965 Ghia Coupe dual carb and power solution Reply with quote

After much research and reading this forum I decided on a practical solution to upgrade my 40HP. I selected a stock 1600cc dual port, 6 volt flywheel, dual Kadron 40's, vintage Fram oil cannister and an early 356 flip top oil filler. My goal was a reliable, low stressed motor with a vintage look. I hope to have my oil lines and fitting done this week.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats an excellent start. a few things that i would also do to "take it back in time" a little further would be rebuild the original fuel pump from your 40hp (if you still have it) and swap it over when this one dies. paint the aircleaners silver and make up mesh covers to hide the modern filter element and swap over to a 010/019 etc distributor. also if you have a spare early dip stick i'd swap it over (as long as the markings match or you remark it)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
james m. stein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I have the wire mesh ready for the air cleaners and I did paint the air cleaner housings and the manifolds the color Mr. Okrasa advised. Good Idea about the fuel pump; I will get on it pronto.
greasemagnet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q? How are you going to clear the engine cover springs with the Twin carbs fitted. Don't they clash?
james m. stein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that concern. Joel Fluid from Aircooled Renovation suggested the shorter K&N filters that are shown will clear the springs. Also these filters are not symmetric. I will remove the carbs and manifolds for the installation.
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the vintage look, would sugest a 36HP styled fan shroud (of course,if you drive the car only in warm weather ) Smile

Like this one from the gallery:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=528555

it can be found new, at various dealers , or of coure, an used one from thesamba, or swap meets, and so on...
james m. stein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the mesh on the filters and the dip stick from the 40HP. I agree about your comment on the fan shroud. But Joel Fluit from Aircooled Renovations was sure there would be a cooling advantage and that is my primary concern.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! Definitely keep your fresh air shroud; a '65 40hp engine had that anyway. Make sure you use the black foil air hoses and factory original narrow clamps. You'll be using BLACK spark plug wires, not some garish colored silicone ones, right? On a Porsche 356 parts website like Zim's you can look for some repro air cleaner decals to apply to the top of your units. Also look for 6V repro coil decals...

Maybe a nice 5-hole Santana degree pulley with individual degree markings on black?
james m. stein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I will go with the correct black plug wires and have a nice set of Fram stickers for the cannister. Bosch coil stickers are in red and yellow are tough to source right now. I will leave the air cleaners as is. Thanks, Jim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: