Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear wheel on swing axle has big time play
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stressfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Rear wheel on swing axle has big time play Reply with quote

Hey guys retired and finally going to put some miles on my buggy this summer when putting it in storage I jack it up and put wheel casters to get it in the corner.the right rear wheel has a lot of play in and out.if it's major repair should I swap out for a rebuilt swing axle with trans.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel on swing axle has big time play Reply with quote

The axle nut is loose, the bearing is worn out, it has the wrong brake drum on it or - all of the above. No need to replace the transmission, the end play on the axle is controlled right there at the brake drum end. Just fix whatever is wrong there. I suspect it's leaking oil at that axle too. Mine was.
stressfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel on swing axle has big time play Reply with quote

Thanks my trans is leaking at the nose how hard is it to change seal?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel on swing axle has big time play Reply with quote

All the components that control the in and out play in swing axle are in picture below except brake drum..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I only amount of play if everything is correct is what tolerances are in ball bearing...

Previous comment about wrong brake drum (or other parts - bearing cap) and or loose axle nut are valid...

For nose cone seal this may be what you are looking for...

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Nose-Cone-Repair-Kit-001-398-227-p/001-398-227.htm

Probably to change seal and bearing properly you need to remove nose cone, suggest a new nose cone gasket as well....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
stressfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel on swing axle has big time play Reply with quote

Thanks looks simple enough. Spring time I'll rip it apart give you update on what I find.thanks.
stressfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel on swing axle has big time play Reply with quote

Ripped apart today nut was loose took off drum put nut back on took channel lock plyers no play.shouls I just change the wheel seal.what size nut is that I used a 1-7/16" socket.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel on swing axle has big time play Reply with quote

stressfree wrote:
... what size nut is that I used a 1-7/16" socket.

36mm socket fits nice and snug on my stock 1965 rear axle nut.
stressfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel on swing axle has big time play Reply with quote

Going to change wheel seal.thanks
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel on swing axle has big time play Reply with quote

Look up the torque specs on the axle nut. It's somewhere north of 200 ft/lbs if I recall, quite high! 275??
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel on swing axle has big time play Reply with quote

217 ft lbs for a swing axle and 253 for an IRS. Once torqued you tighten to the next cotter key opening which will raise the torque higher.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
(Now with Water/Alcohol Injection)
Upgraded to MS-2 Extra direct fire wasted spark

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
stressfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel on swing axle has big time play Reply with quote

Ok
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel on swing axle has big time play Reply with quote

You should also be using these style axle nuts with the built in flange. - https://socalautoparts.com/product/axle-nut-36mm-chromoly/ They work much better. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
stressfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel on swing axle has big time play Reply with quote

Torqued nut no play thanks.
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel on swing axle has big time play Reply with quote

I just had an issue with one of those heavy duty flanged nuts. torqued with torque multiplier, went for test drive and found play in rotor hub. I pulled the cotter pin out, went to retorque to 250 ft lbs & nut stripped. I checked threads on nut & axle shaft & they looked ok but just for kicks I grabbed an old nut from my stash & it torqued right up to 250 no problem & so far is holding tight after a couple short test drives. Any thoughts on what could be happening?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: