Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roof Scoop
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakejake870
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Roof Scoop Reply with quote

I'm still putting my buggy together, but was thinking about airflow while driving.

I was sitting around one day and the thought came to me, a roof scoop to help direct air towards the driver and passenger. I thought I had an original idea, then I saw that they already made one for the Miata.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So what do you guys think, good idea or waste of time? Is there enough air flowing in while driving?

I already modeled one up in solidworks, but I'm just waiting to print it.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Scoop Reply with quote

It can make a heck of a difference. You just have to consider the laws of unintended consequences. You will need to be able to control the air inlet. Get behind a dump truck and your eyes will be filled with grit.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Scoop Reply with quote

Ever ridden in a splitscreen bus on the highwa? After 2 hours your hair is full of dirt and bug parts. But it looks like a good idea. Me, I just left the windshield off. Lotsa air Cool
jakejake870
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Scoop Reply with quote

rayjay wrote:
It can make a heck of a difference. You just have to consider the laws of unintended consequences. You will need to be able to control the air inlet. Get behind a dump truck and your eyes will be filled with grit.

I didn't really think about that, but I'll make sure not to drive behind the dump trucks Wink

I guess I could add a screen, but that would only work for bugs and not grit.
jakejake870
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Scoop Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Ever ridden in a splitscreen bus on the highwa? After 2 hours your hair is full of dirt and bug parts. But it looks like a good idea. Me, I just left the windshield off. Lotsa air Cool

Nope, never ridden in a splitscreen bus, but I use to ride a motorcycle, so I guess it would be like riding with my visor up?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Scoop Reply with quote

Interesting concept till you go through a swarm of bugs....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Scoop Reply with quote

I had more than enough airflow, driving in rain with the top off got my sunglasses so wet I couldnt see.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Scoop Reply with quote

Need wipers on your glasses.
Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Scoop Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Cool

Bikini top fixed that issue.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Scoop Reply with quote

weasel_ugs wrote:
dustymojave wrote:
Cool

Bikini top fixed that issue.

On her or you? ....never mind, I don't want to know!

Try riding a motorcycle without a windshield or a helmet visor, behind a cattle liner just as he hits the railroad tracks! Ever heard of shipping fever? I can tell you what it tastes like AND what it takes to wash it off the bike and the person on it...

Airflow by the way is the least of our issues in our open Buggy. Lots of it all around us! The majority of it will come from behind you, then when you get yourself into a good crosswind and you will be good and sick of airflow in short order.
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Scoop Reply with quote

I had one on a Miata and it worked great. Never had a bug issue in the year that I used it.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Scoop Reply with quote

I don't think there's ever a problem of not enough ventilation in a buggy, its usually more than enough.

TJKustoms does a rollbar windscreen behind the driver/passenger which is similar to Porsche Speedsters and calms things down a bit

http://www.tjkustoms.com/Dune-Buggy/Items/items.html[/img]
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Scoop Reply with quote

Rollbar windscreens are quite common even around here.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: