Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2" hitch receiver in front bumper
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2" hitch receiver in front bumper Reply with quote

This is my front receiver
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2" hitch receiver in front bumper Reply with quote

Hopebo wrote:
I am new here and would appreciate some help with this topic. I have a 86 Vanagon and am thinking of adding a cargo deck either to the front or rear mount.

Not thinking of adding a lot of weight to the carrier, maybe cooler, chairs, etc. Just to make more room for my dogs while travelling.

Thought that the rear is already heavy.

ANY advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Hope

‘86 Vanagon. Is it a tin top or pop-top of some sort?

It sounds like you want to get some gear outside the van? If that’s the case, you can put it on the roof, in front, in back or leave it at home.

Do you have a receiver hitch in the front or rear?

Do you have any roof-top racks?

An ‘86 Vanagon isn’t set-up to carry any gear outside of the van unless it’s a Westy which has the luggage rack in front of the pop-top. Do you have a photo of your bus?

I might start with a roof rack since they can carry more than hitch mounted racks and can easily be sold to non-vanagon owners. A front or rear rack requires a $400 receiver as a starting point unless you can weld or bolt something together.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: