Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nice find! and Paint question.
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Nice find! and Paint question. Reply with quote

So, I get a hold of a guy who had some beetle remains outside an old barn. Juts for the heck of it. He says he has some parts inside too, and used to have dune bugiies. Well, he said he had two "meyers manx's" and he knew enough about what he was talking about to be believable. In the basement of the old barn he had two 60-61 Bugs and a 68 bug. Both pretty much parted. Piles of old engines, nothing I freaked out about. And a pair of Manx side pods. His brother sold a Manx project a long time back, he said, and the buyer didn't want all the extra parts. The pods were in there he said for at least 25 years- they were originally Lime green, now primered.
They're just barely hanging there, and look like they might fit with not a huge amount of work.
So I got them, and a set of BJ drop spindles, a set of widened smoothies. And I'll be going back to help him sift through the rest of the piles.
Anyway...anyone ever have any luck matching metal-flake Gel-Coat with paint?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You suck dude Razz ..That's awesome, I like those kinda people that have nice stashes. Them pods look nice. You got any pics of the smoothies?
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Nice find! and Paint question. Reply with quote

[quote="Bub"]Anyway...anyone ever have any luck matching metal-flake Gel-Coat with paint?
[img]

Once. I did a trike cargo carrier and a pair of helmets for a guy with a real old-school Wilmac from the '70's. Two color flake...blue and green. Basically matched up the flake size with as close a color as what was available. Turned out pretty good; a very close match. If I had buffed the body out it would have been hard to tell it had been painted recently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can match the paint on those for ya. May take me a year or two. Just drop the car off to me and I promise I will have them matching perfectly by May of 2011 Cool Laughing Laughing

and yes i agree...you suck Laughing Laughing (My skin turns green with envy)
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were a good find for sure- BUT- consider that I found that buggy in an old lady's garage where it had sat since 1975. You'd have to see it in person, but it's *mint* and it was cheap!
The pods fit pretty good, the main problem being the body of my buggy sits about 2" forward of where it *should* because it has a built in (molded FG) battery box that would hit the starter if it was moved back 2".
I cant know how far off the 'shape' of the pods are unless I make a small cut in one so I can slide it forward 2". Havn't done that yet...
Anyway, I have some close friends who own a body shop, I'll get their opinions.. .
mills66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a trial and error job to me. A tough one at that. I think you would first have to match the colour and then find the right size/colour of metal flake and hope after it's cleared the colour still matches. I would think the reflection of the metal flake would make a difference in how the paint matches. Anything is possible, it would just be a matter of finding someone to take the time to do it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: