Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A sad find....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: A sad find.... Reply with quote

I was doing work for a customer at his home yesterday when we got to talking about the bay window bus the neighbors had on their driveway, then he said "I have a bus in the backyard". He said it wasn't worth much since the other neighbor's kids decided to jump up and down on the roof, kick in the front doors, and front skin. The owner also said he had pulled out the trans and engine years ago and sold them, leaving it sitting on the ground. Mind you this is in Eugene, Oregon where it is plenty wet most of the time. We got to the back yard and there sits his beloved "work panel" that he used for his television/electrical business. All painted and logo'd up, what a find! The actual sides of the panels are really straight with all the extra logo's intact. As I take a look, he said I could have it if I could figure out a way to get it out. Unfortunately, he had later built a garage next to the house and also the bus was pretty toast. He said I could have anything off the bus that I thought might be any good. After getting home last night, I checked the VIN #166xxx and looks to have been an early '56. Small tailights (trashed) bullets(kicked in) no rear decklid ect. I managed to pull the near perfect side panel doors, steering wheel, and some door handles/catches. There was a pressed bumper still attached to the front end but was completely submerged in mud. It was also pretty bent up. All I can hope is to maybe find another that isn't so bad next time!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics or it didn't happen......
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer.

I'm sure everyone would like to see photos of the logos.

It's probably best to use this thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164642
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rusty Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer Dude
dropgates65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...what ya thinken leaven it there...go get it kick all that stuff back out ....put some suspension under it and roll....it'll buff out.....its a logo 56 panel....Smile..
Oldfart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very surprising how bad dints like that will come out. If it's only kids then you should be able to use a portapower of the floor. Use bits of 5/8 plywood on either end, and gradually work them out. Don't be in any rip tearing hurry just work a bit at a time. Snot goana be a concours show winnr but you ight get it useable.
IN2RUST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deffinetly pull the front bumper. Cargo doors. front seat etc...Mabe get a crane out there and yank it out. Very Happy
blitzkrieg59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Eugene and willing to help if you want to pull it out. Even if it's beat up, somebody wants it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

especially a 56. Get that sucker out of there. it IS saveable. Smile Pics please, by PM if you want to keep secrets. I just like the view of a bus stashed for years. Smile

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have my camera with me for this find, but I will list the doors for sale soon. The cargo doors from the bus were starting to rust out at the bottom. The bottom 8-10 inches of the bus were non-existent, rear compartment tray above the engine compartment was bent all to hell, the front looked like it had hit a tree from 3 different directions. It was just easier to remove the cab doors at the time for the mechanisms and handles but they were kicked in badly as well. I know- if it looked close to being usable, I would have tried to bring it home. To restore it: straighten roof completely, entire front clip, entire bottom/supports/floors, replace engine compartment, complete dash, cab doors, rear hatch and decklid. That's from just what I could see.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blitzkrieg59 wrote:
Even if it's beat up, somebody wants it!

X2 since it is a Wolfsburg bus (you said VIN was 166 xxx)

Come on, where are the pictures?
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Pics or it didn't happen......

Yea did you get any?
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
I didn't have my camera with me for this find, but I will list the doors for sale soon. The cargo doors from the bus were starting to rust out at the bottom. The bottom 8-10 inches of the bus were non-existent, rear compartment tray above the engine compartment was bent all to hell, the front looked like it had hit a tree from 3 different directions. It was just easier to remove the cab doors at the time for the mechanisms and handles but they were kicked in badly as well. I know- if it looked close to being usable, I would have tried to bring it home. To restore it: straighten roof completely, entire front clip, entire bottom/supports/floors, replace engine compartment, complete dash, cab doors, rear hatch and decklid. That's from just what I could see.

Thats common stuff these days. Smile crane it out. we shall resurrect it. No joke. dont sell the cargo doors without the bus. Mad

Note to EVERYONE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=35155

yes yours isn't a barndoor but in 5 years people will be rebuilding wolfsburg buses in this condition as well. why not be a trend setter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeadEndVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics?
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it apart peice by peice and then reasemble it fixing what needs to be fixed Very Happy
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been busy. The bus isn't able to be pulled from the backyard. Like I said, there's only a 3 foot walk-through gate into the back yard. The bottom 8-10 inches if the bus are Gone from rot. The day I saw it, I got the doors and steering wheel off of it. The rest is toast. There comes a point where it just isn't worth it. Crying or Very sad
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bro... we are pleading with you here. what you see, and what someone else sees, are almost always 2 different things. Please, at least let the location be known, and inform the guy that some people would like to take a look at getting the bus out of there. wolfsburg bus's are worth saving. please....

Note to EVERYONE.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: