Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vwtaiwan - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: vwtaiwan
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: Today
horangi i
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

Aloha from Hawaiʻi! Admire your work. Am interested in buying the complete exhaust for my 89 T3/Type 25/Vanagon. I see in your catalog the elbow to tail pipe complete exhaust system(155-251-052ET) there is a bung for the O2 sensor in the catalytic converter delete pipe. There doesnʻt seem to be a bung in the delete pipe sold separately (025-131-701-VS).

Does it come with the O2 bung welded in or no?

Thank you!!
Horangi
Geirskogul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

Will the stainless type 4 header plus the sport muffler clear the stock fan shroud? I have the stainless (not equal length) header, but I tried putting an Quiet Pack muffler on it, and it fouls on the fan shroud by about 3 inches.
Geirskogul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

Actually, it was made completely wrong. Here's a comparison picture!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

About 3-4 inches too short!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

Damn. They're pretty good with customer service. Shoot them some messages and show them it won't fit.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Geirskogul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

Looks like I was sent a Type 4 into Type 1 header.
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

While visiting family in Taiwan, I contacted MT to see if he had time to meet and check out his shop. MT was very gracious and open so we set up a time to meet on Monday, Dec 5th.

Vintage Speed is located in the Industrial district of Taichung City, about 25 minutes from where my wife's family lives so it was an easy drive (though we did get lost for a bit).

When we arrived, MT was busy so he sent out Kevin, one of his workers, to start off the tour. Kevin was super friendly and excited to meet and talk to another VW fanatic. They have three buildings they work out of. One building is used to install and fit custom exhaust systems for pretty much any kind of vehicle. Another housed their collection of VW's, another repair shop and storage while the third contained their office and manufacturing facility.

After checking out some of their custom exhaust work, Kevin took my wife and I to the upper level to see their personal collection of VW's. The first one to catch my eye was an oval that happened to belong to Kevin. It's a 56' with a custom type IV 2l with a Porsche fan shroud and VS exhaust.

The 66 bus and Mexican beetle belong to MT. He says they use the beetle as their test vehicle for their exhaust systems.

Soon after, MT came out and introduced himself and apologized for the delay. Like Kevin, MT is a very warm and friendly person who loves to talk VW's and was happy to answer all of my questions. We discussed a lot of topics so I will summarize what i think most people would be interested in.

MT caught the VW bug at about 12 years old when his father bought a Mexican beetle for his mother to drive. At the time, bugs were one of the cheapest forms of transportation in Taiwan and there were plenty on the roads. His mother struggled with the manual transmission so after two weeks, she gave up on the car so it got passed down to MT. From there, he got really interested in classic VW's, found fellow fanatics and they formed a club. They had strict rules that the cars had to be nice and needed to reach over 160km/h. If your VW couldn't go that fast, MT said some would put on smaller tires or adjust their spedo's so they could pass the test.

As more people got interested in classic VW's, he found he could make a good living buying and restoring them to sell. This lasted for many years until the economy in Taiwan took a nose dive and restoring became less profitable. This forced MT to look for another option which eventually led to designing and building custom VW air-cooled exhaust systems.

To see the shop, we had to move into the upper floor of the third building. Here MT discussed how they design then have the stainless steel parts laser cut to their exact specifications which gives much better results then stamping. The steel is proudly manufactured in Taiwan, keeping his money in the local economy. The parts are assembled and welded in a medium sized shop which pushes out about 300 units per month. There are shelves and shelves jigs designed for each exhaust model available. At the time, two welders were assembling the pieces together. I'm am not an expert in welding and this was my first time seeing VS exhausts in person but I was quite impressed. Like others have said in the feedback, the quality seems to be top notch.

After taking about an hour and a half of MT's time, we had to leave to meet friends for lunch (the food in Taiwan is amazing btw!). Before we left, I convinced him to pose for a photo with his beautiful 66 Westy.

Last edited by truckersmike on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

The images link you posted above do not work.

I think they do work for you though - they only work if you are logged into the account that owns the photos - which is no one but you.

There should be alternate links you can use that will work for the general public.

I am basing this info off this recent Site thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=668084
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
The images link you posted above do not work.

I think they do work for you though - they only work if you are logged into the account that owns the photos - which is no one but you.

There should be alternate links you can use that will work for the general public.

I am basing this info off this recent Site thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=668084

I couldn't figure out a solution so I just uploaded all the photos to Samba then linked them. Should work now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rays1163
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

Just received my shifter from Vintage Speed,wow that was fast 4 days to the east coast and during our biggest snow storm this year. This is their new 12" Quick Shifter #155-795-52200 with removable shift knob (I wanted to be able to use mine). This shifter has a ring under the shift knob that you pull-up to go into reverse, rather than pulling up on the shifter. Instruction are vague and some what generic for all their shifters, not specific for this one. But this isn't my first shifter. Will let you know how it works in a couple months, way too much snow and very cold here on the east coast.
captkirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

I have bought two different bus exhaust systems over the last couple years...both excellent quality and quick shipping.
GeorgiaSingleCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

Just got your Barndoor shifter for my 59 single cab. Works great except the reverse lockout is not working. What should I do?
NEFARIOUS1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

About to order my 4th exhaust from vintage speed. I could not be happier with their product. The quality is top notch and the service is awesome. Always packed well and arrive quick.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

Ordered an exhaust for my 73 bug with a 1641 and heater boxes on Friday, 3/24, got to my house Wednesday, 3/29! Wow! Quality is amazing, was sad I didn't have the time to install last night. Have already cleared my schedule for tonight to do the install.

It comes with O2 sensor holes and the nuts to seal up the exhaust. Do I need to use some sort of sealant on them, or do they just get screwed into the muffler?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type1abody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

Ordered 40hp sport muffler, beautiful muffler. He answered email quickly when I thought it didn't fit, simple solution. Will be placing another order very soon.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

Bought and received a stock VW bus exhaust (155-206-05200) from Vintage Speed and am very happy with the way it was packaged and the speed by which it arrived. Performance- and sound-wise, I'm definitely glad I went this route with this setup - my engine can finally breathe.

Only negative thing I could say is more of a point of improvement. The ad(s) should be a little more clear as to which parts are included in the whole kit, as I ordered the flare flange kit (155-200-FF100) not knowing for sure, if it were included or not. Well, it was. Not a big deal.

Altogether, a badass exhaust that mounted easily and has so far been kickin' ass. Thanks, Vintage Speed crew!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
BuggyT4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

Where can I buy a replacement polyfoam element for the Vintage Speed classic style oval mesh air cleaners? I cannot find them on the Vintage Speed website. Please advise.
vwtaiwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

We have them in stock. Please contact us : [email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

I have to share my experience with Vintage Speed going over and above to help a with a special request.

My engine is in a Karmann Ghia, and has Dual 36 Dellortos on top of Speedwell manifolds. I wanted to run the Vintage Speed Knecht-style air filters, and putting them on top of that carb setup is guaranteed interference with the deck lid springs. After cutting 7/8" out of the springs (and not wanting to go to a strut setup), the VS filters off of the shelf were still a 1/2" too tall.

I contacted Vintage Speed and asked them if they would consider selling me a set with 5/8" removed from the filter mesh and the inner support tubes (the tubes that screw to the carb top and accept the top filter cover bolts). "Just cut them yourself" you say? Well, I actually did that on a set. It sort of worked, but the problem is the support tubes are tapered to clear the velocity stacks. After cutting a little over a 5/16" from each side your left with very little threaded portion to attach the the carb top and to accept the cover bolts.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting a positive answer that this could be accommodated but figured it was worth asking. To my delight they replied that it would be no problem, asked me to confirm the exact measurements, and then they quickly sent an order quote, which was the retail cost of the filters plus an additional $15 service charge for the custom work. Only $15 extra!

The filters arrived and they are perfect. The support tubes were custom made and while still tapered to clear the stacks, they have the same thread depth on both sides as the original. They clear the springs, and accept a 3" tall K&N 4x7 oval filter.

Thanks!!!! Couldn't be happier, and my engine has the look I was going for.

Final product:

Original filter tubes (notice how tall and close to the cut springs they are - lid would not close without fouling on the cleaner top):
vwtaiwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

I am so glad that deck lid springs finally cleared. What is the KN filter number? Could you please share with the parts number with me?

PeteSC wrote:
I have to share my experience with Vintage Speed going over and above to help a with a special request.

My engine is in a Karmann Ghia, and has Dual 36 Dellortos on top of Speedwell manifolds. I wanted to run the Vintage Speed Knecht-style air filters, and putting them on top of that carb setup is guaranteed interference with the deck lid springs. After cutting 7/8" out of the springs (and not wanting to go to a strut setup), the VS filters off of the shelf were still a 1/2" too tall.

I contacted Vintage Speed and asked them if they would consider selling me a set with 5/8" removed from the filter mesh and the inner support tubes (the tubes that screw to the carb top and accept the top filter cover bolts). "Just cut them yourself" you say? Well, I actually did that on a set. It sort of worked, but the problem is the support tubes are tapered to clear the velocity stacks. After cutting a little over a 5/16" from each side your left with very little threaded portion to attach the the carb top and to accept the cover bolts.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting a positive answer that this could be accommodated but figured it was worth asking. To my delight they replied that it would be no problem, asked me to confirm the exact measurements, and then they quickly sent an order quote, which was the retail cost of the filters plus an additional $15 service charge for the custom work. Only $15 extra!

The filters arrived and they are perfect. The support tubes were custom made and while still tapered to clear the stacks, they have the same thread depth on both sides as the original. They clear the springs, and accept a 3" tall K&N 4x7 oval filter.

Final product:

Original filter tubes (notice how tall and close to the cut springs they are - lid would not close without fouling on the cleaner top):

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: vwtaiwan - [email protected] Reply with quote

vwtaiwan wrote:
I am so glad that deck lid springs finally cleared. What is the KN filter number? Could you please share with the parts number with me?

PeteSC wrote:

Final product:

Sorry, I just saw this question. The filter part number for the cut down filter is E-3325. Thanks again!

https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=E-3325
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: