Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

drag race CV joints
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: drag race CV joints Reply with quote

Which are stronger for drag racing. I have both Type IV/Thing CV's or Type II Bus?
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it's a coin toss,but 930's are rated the best.
bpcatdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't the Type IV, Thing, and Type II cv's the same?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the same on the outside. They are different on the inside. Type IV and type II have different size balls/cages on the inside. Thus my question which is stronger for drag racing?

Thing use type IV cv joints.
bpcatdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I didn't realize that. I'm using 944 axles and CV's for my Manx style drag buggy with Thing drive flanges and 944 stub axles. Now, I'm wondering if they'll be up to the task.... Well, we'll soon find out. I figure, if there are guys using type 1 CV's with sucess in their race cars, the bigger CV's should be fine but again there are a lot of factors to consider.
Beetspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apperently, the 100mm type IV, T2 bus CV's are good to about 400-450 hp... bfore you 'need the larger 110mm porsche CV's (930's).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
JCQuick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 4 has 20mm balls type 2 has 19mm balls.
I run type 4 with chrome molly cages
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've found is that the Type 4, and Type 181 "Thing" joints have the same size balls around .6875/17.5mm, and the Type 2 joints have the larger .787/20mm. I've found aftermarket Type 2 joints that use a .750 ball. From everyone I've ever spoken using the "Thing" joints, they feel that they hold up better due to the ball being smaller, and the cage being thicker. Bruce T. once noted that it's usually the angle that kills the joint, as opposed to the HP. If you need joints for your buggy with lots of wheel travel, then even a 1600 can break a Type 2 joint if it binds. The buggy guys usually need the "thing"/930 joints for their greater angle of axle deflection. If your needing joints for your IRS drag car that has the axle pretty much parallel to the ground, going straight into the joint, Type 2 joints will take quite a bit of abuse. The "Thing" joints will even take more abuse. Richie Webb in the UK uses a stock "Thing" joint on his Turbo Vert that runs in the 9's. I would use your Type 4/"Thing" joints with chromoly cages, and that should be good to 500 HP if you don't have much axle deflection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JCQuick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
What I've found is that the Type 4, and Type 181 "Thing" joints have the same size balls around .6875/17.5mm, and the Type 2 joints have the larger .787/20mm. I've found aftermarket Type 2 joints that use a .750 ball. From everyone I've ever spoken using the "Thing" joints, they feel that they hold up better due to the ball being smaller, and the cage being thicker. Bruce T. once noted that it's usually the angle that kills the joint, as opposed to the HP. If you need joints for your buggy with lots of wheel travel, then even a 1600 can break a Type 2 joint if it binds. The buggy guys usually need the "thing"/930 joints for their greater angle of axle deflection. If your needing joints for your IRS drag car that has the axle pretty much parallel to the ground, going straight into the joint, Type 2 joints will take quite a bit of abuse. The "Thing" joints will even take more abuse. Richie Webb in the UK uses a stock "Thing" joint on his Turbo Vert that runs in the 9's. I would use your Type 4/"Thing" joints with chromoly cages, and that should be good to 500 HP if you don't have much axle deflection.

Well I found the opposite I'm using a type 4 joint LOBRO #7153120198008L has 20mm balls i just took apart an oem (no loboro# but did have the emblem) joint vw # 211-501-331B had 19mm balls in it.

My car is a IRS car most my problems have been side gears and axles
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCQuick wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Well I found the opposite I'm using a type 4 joint LOBRO #7153120198008L has 20mm balls i just took apart an oem (no loboro# but did have the emblem) joint vw # 211-501-331B had 19mm balls in it.

My car is a IRS car most my problems have been side gears and axles

I realize this is an old Thread. However, has anyone else used Type 4 Joints on a Vanagon? If so, how tight did the Axles go into the splines?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so witch is stronger? and can you get the chromoly cages for both sizes?although 3 sizes are listed in this thread,Ive only seen 2 of them.as for strenth I think it's the cage that limits that portion of the joint.and the foot on the clutch&gass.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a quick question for those who may know.....

Other than drag racing starts included, what is the Horse Power Cut Off on a Type 1 Motor before you go for the other CV Joints?

Mean, I do not plan on doing burn outs with my Super, but from a Rolling Start and Foot Right into it, what HP is the Cut Off before blowing apart Type 1 CV's?

Just concerned for down the road, working on a Super Project and Engine and Trans will be last. So, this thread has me wondering when you need to upgrade CV's on a Bug/Super? RB
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
I realize this is an old Thread. However, has anyone else used Type 4 Joints on a Vanagon? If so, how tight did the Axles go into the splines?

A joint that's new, or in excellent used condition will almost have a slight press fit on a similar condition axle. I don't have them on a Vanagon, but I had to lightly press them on the Thing axles I had.
mark tucker wrote:
so witch is stronger? and can you get the chromoly cages for both sizes?although 3 sizes are listed in this thread,Ive only seen 2 of them.as for strenth I think it's the cage that limits that portion of the joint.and the foot on the clutch&gass.

I still feel the type 4/thing joints are the strongest with the thicker cage. You can get Chromoly cages for all of the joints, you just have to talk with a specialty shop like Mckenzies, ERCO, or Rancho.
RailBoy wrote:
Have a quick question for those who may know.....

Other than drag racing starts included, what is the Horse Power Cut Off on a Type 1 Motor before you go for the other CV Joints?

Mean, I do not plan on doing burn outs with my Super, but from a Rolling Start and Foot Right into it, what HP is the Cut Off before blowing apart Type 1 CV's? RB

It took me about 200 passes to finally break a Type 1 joint launching at 3500+ rpm in a 2200lb car with 115 hp at the wheels, so I would think you could go to 150 hp without any issues without abuse.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, hear about the splines ripping out every now and then on here...

On my Rail i run Thing, inner and outer, so I don't sweat that car.... RB
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ones rancho had bigger balls that the bus ones I had.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At very mild angles you wilk break a stock axle before a type 1 CV. After 10 degrees type 1 gets weak. I run the empi offroad type 2 CV joints, they are awesome. 200HP and 16.50 comp cut paddles, im at 24*.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I and my buddies have broke a lot of CV joints, but never an axle.
Old CV joints will break because they often have a spot in the travel with a lot of wear, and it hangs up on that. I think some new ones break because they are too tight. I put a few together extra loose with used cages and smoothed the grooves for the bores so they have a lot more play than new ones, and those have been working great, I don't really know why it makes any difference, but it does somehow. Type-1 can handle a lot especially if you mix and match a bunch of em and find the best, and weed out the weak ones by....you know, blowing them up
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you must realy like worken on your stuff.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll update since I started this post. On my Ghia with 160 HP 2165cc I upgraded to Thing CV's and axles because I was breaking Bug CV's at the drags with slicks. So far I have not had any failures.

On my street legal Dunebuggy with 120 HP 2007cc I still run Bug CV's and run M/T ET drag radials and still break a CV about one a year. I still use them as the weak link because I have a pile of 20 and it is much cheaper then breaking a transaxle.

The only time I have ever broken any CV joint was launching off the line at the drags. I have never brokes a stock axle.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be a wierdo, I snap an axle every now and then, and bust 2nd gear. Never broke a ring or pinion and rarely a CV.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: