Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine cases
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Engine cases Reply with quote

i got a 40 hp engine and the case is sans cam bearings and would like to find one with cam bearings. seems to be hard to find those, but was wondering if all my 40 hp stuff will transfer over to a 1300 case without having to get sleeves for the cylinders
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cylinder openings are larger on a 1300 block, the 1300 cylinder heads themselves had the same openings as the 40HP, but the block openings were larger.

You could always send off your 40HP block to get it recut for cam bearings.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea problem is no machine shop in my area of illinois wants to touch a volkswagen block, i took the block to get checked and a crank to get reground and they got a real scared look on their faces and said they were afraid to work on it cause they could not guarantee they would not screw up. they did not elaborate, they just gave me the shaft really
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I understand. You need to find somone who builds Formula Vee racing engines, they should be able to handle anything you'd want done. Or strip your block down and ship it to a shop who can do the work for you.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for a "D" case.
They are hard to find, but they are out there.
I am currently building on one for my bus.
It is awesome - 87mm bore with cam bearings, dual pressure relief, large oil galleys, 8mm oil pump studs, etc.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he got a late model D case, he'd have the same issues as with a 1300. In the early 70s or so they upped the size of the cylinder openings and made different 1200 cylinders to fit. So older 40HP cylinders won't fit in there any more than it would a 1300 block. I'm not sure exactly when they did that, the Haynes 1200 book says 1969 but I've read elsewhere it was a few years later. I'm thinking it had to be, if somone had a block with the smaller openings but M8 head studs and dual relief.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
If he got a late model D case, he'd have the same issues as with a 1300. In the early 70s or so they upped the size of the cylinder openings and made different 1200 cylinders to fit. So older 40HP cylinders won't fit in there any more than it would a 1300 block.

Huh, I must have to send my calipers out for calibration...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

late "D" cases has 87mm bore for the cylinders and have smaller oil galleys, but during the 70s in mexico they build "D" engines with 1300-1600 cases same case (as41) just a "D" stamp so they have 90mm bore for the cylinders.
good cases for tuning but hard to find. i use one for a supercharged 1200 with 1300 double port heads ... ... ...
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I didn't believe you! Who knows when that particular D case was made - that recycle logo with the X on the end of whatever the serial number is, won't lend that number to match any chart of production model D blocks. Also while the VW/recycle/D stamp looks like production line, the numbers after it do not. Who knows what that one is or when it was made.

I have heard, first by reading the supplaments in the old Haynes 1200 manual, then by some posts I saw probably on the British vZi board, about 1200 engine built on basically a 69mm-stoke block but with the D stamp on it. I'd dig into the vZi for whatever I read, but man, their search function is horrible compared to theSamba's!

But like you said, if you can find one like that, SCORE!!! Nice.
My factory rebuilt 40HP engine is just a little bit older, although they did convert it to cam bearing inserts and case savers, along with, for whatever reason, they redrilled the oil pump for M8 studs. About the best you can do with a single relief block.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread to dig up here, but I have questions following a search.

A friend has a D block engine, and we are pretty sure it is a 2180. It has dual Weber 44 IDF's and is in a dune buggy thingamabob. I knew the previous owner many years ago, and I recall him telling me the size of the engine.

Now, was this actually a 1200 at one point? Did they actually build a 1200 on a case like this? Help me understand.

I have not seen the engine in person recently, but I sent my buddy some photos of how to ID the universal case type 3 dipstick hole, and pics of the dual relief setup. He'll get back to me tomorrow for a positive ID.
fcampbell356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to search for VW Service Bulletin 1/12 of 1969 & 1971, and it will clear up
any questions about the replacement blocks.

Frank
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WesleyGarrard wrote:
yea problem is no machine shop in my area of illinois wants to touch a volkswagen block, i took the block to get checked and a crank to get reground and they got a real scared look on their faces and said they were afraid to work on it cause they could not guarantee they would not screw up. they did not elaborate, they just gave me the shaft really
Actually, they did you a favor.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is to say they did not "give you the shaft"

Last edited by Jacks on Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WesleyG
I have a long block with serial # 9306069, it had a "D" shaped hole and square boss heads. I have no plans for it but I have no way to ship it either, I don't know the condition of it, I bought it to get the flaps in the fan shroud.
I do know when I drained the oil there was some water in it, I do not know what the case looks like on the inside. I might be able to pull it apart and see what it looks like. PM me if you are interested.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WeslyG posted 4 1/2 years ago. I resurrected an old thread to find some info.

Thanks for the tip, Frank.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not see that it was a old thread, I guess I should open my eyes.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
James Arredondo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:

My factory rebuilt 40HP engine is just a little bit older, although they did convert it to cam bearing inserts and case savers, along with, for whatever reason, they redrilled the oil pump for M8 studs. About the best you can do with a single relief block.

My 40hp case has similar numbers stamped on it. Not sure what it all meant. Most of the time I don't pay much attention to case numbers as I build a lot of bigger motors for guys and they either use an AS41 or a bubble top. Anyway, I'm building this 40hp for me and wanted more of an original motor to go into a 65 bug I acquired. The case has cam bearings and the oil filler hole is D shaped.

The numbers on the pulley side are 5 107 318
The numbers on the cylinder side with the VW circle/arrow insignia are 1 525 449

I looked in the technical VIN/Chassis numbers section but wasn't sure. Any help as to what year this case is is appreciated.

James
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine cases Reply with quote

That's the engine in my 62, that photo.

Your 5107318 would have been the born-as number, almost the same as mine! Now, that block would NOT have been born with the larger D shaped oil filler hole though. So it's possible that you have a dealer replacement block that got restamped with a previous engine number upon installation, then it died, and got sent to through the VW remanufacture process and got the "Recycled" engine number off to the side. Here's a perfect example of this - it's got a 36HP number on there, but it's obviously not one...!

I have never come across any charts or such showing overhaul dates versus the Exchange serial numbers.

These engines did come with a little booklet, with that exchange number punched into the pages, sometimes you see these for sale.

What about date stamps on the front (flywheel) end of the case?

Back to the crank breather hole: Does the D-hole in your case look like it's cast that way? I ask because VW did put instructions in the Workshop Manual to rework cases for that D hole. I did this to my 5109350 block when I first built it, at the same time as I had it apart to shorten the lifter bosses for modern thick head lifters.

And this is what I had to do to one side of the case:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
James Arredondo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine cases Reply with quote

My D hole looks like it was cast that way.

Here are the numbers on the front/flywheel side of the case.

I received this motor as a long block, it has square boss heads on it too.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine cases Reply with quote

Yeah, that one with the 36HP serial number on it had square boss heads on it too. It also had a thrown rod inside the case... I acquired the difficult-to-find correct-length square boss upper head studs off of it for myself.

Casting dates look like 7 July 1966 and 5 June 1966. Kind of far apart in days... but 1966 fits for the D-hole looking like it does.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: