Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stere oh-my! Stereo install, 81 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
that looks pretty great , and thanks for the link on amp wiring the other day..

No problem, I always use this site for reference on wiring car stuff.
http://www.the12volt.com

Crankey wrote:

I worked on my setup yesterday too. feels good to make progress.

One of the more enjoyable projects on a vehical for me has always been wiring new stuff in.
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy the latest version of your Alpine deck. How do you find browsing the menus, especially while driving? The location of the stereo in our vanagons is not ideal and it would seem the screen would be hard to see and navigate the menus while trying to stay on the road.

Ideally, I would like to find a deck that would allow me to navigate my music using the iPod and not the deck and connect via the USB instead of a AUX input port. Is this possible with this unit. Can anyone recommend one that would??? Reason being, I have a really nice dashboard mount for my iPod. It sits right next to the instrument panel angled toward me. Thus the screen is easy to see while driving. If I can't find one with this capability, I'm going with the one below

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a pioneer deck of the same series as the one gowesty sells, but lower power at circuit city closeout. It does allow you to choose between controlling through the deck or through the ipod. Much easier for me so far to use the ipod. I would bet that feature is buried somewhere in that alpine.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
I'm looking to buy the latest version of your Alpine deck. How do you find browsing the menus, especially while driving? The location of the stereo in our vanagons is not ideal and it would seem the screen would be hard to see and navigate the menus while trying to stay on the road.

Ideally, I would like to find a deck that would allow me to navigate my music using the iPod and not the deck and connect via the USB instead of a AUX input port. Is this possible with this unit. Can anyone recommend one that would??? Reason being, I have a really nice dashboard mount for my iPod. It sits right next to the instrument panel angled toward me. Thus the screen is easy to see while driving. If I can't find one with this capability, I'm going with the one below

The 305 is the step below what I have,
I don't know much about using it with an Apple Ipod.
I wanted something I could leave hooked to the unit, and I liked it because it didn't have a CD/DVD deck, so it wouldn't use much power.
Also has two aux inputs.
I used the first one I had with a creative zen and it kept charging the battery when I turned it off.
The best unit I had in the van for visibility was a JVC it had a motorized face that would tilt in about four different postions.
You can still see the Alpine pretty easy and navigation is easy, I just put it on shuffle, and hit forward when a song comes on I don't really want to hear.
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyArt -

Maybe I missed it some where in the post. How did you run the wires from the head unit to the amps under the bench?

I just got a sweet deal on the Alpine iDA-x305 and infinity speakers(doors)/Focals(rear). Hope to some day upgrade the system with a Sub-woofer and not sure how I would do it. The Car Toys Technician said it would not be fun to run wires to the rear bench. If all goes well, I plan on installing the new system/speakers tomorrow.

Thanks for the write up.

Ryan

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:

]

I see that you already got a deck but maybe this will answer the question for someone else. This JVC has two way ipod control with a USB port on the front. Also you can change the color display to match your dash lights if you've changed them out for leds. Crutchfield says it fits the vanagon too.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDA605/JVC-Arsenal-KD-A605.html?c=3&tp=5684&avf=N

82 Diesel Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: