Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Bucking intermittently at highway speed
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Engine Bucking intermittently at highway speed Reply with quote

85 Vanagon, 1.9, I'm getting a "bucking" between 65-70, I've taken it just past 70 and it was bucking pretty good then so I backed off. at 60 and below it seems fine, then again it doesn't seem to matter if it's under a load or not.

Recent work done on it: a Hall Sensor in the distributor went, so it has a new rebuild dist, cap, rotor, wires. Idle stablizer was not hooked up when I got it, I hooked it up when I did this work. Can't really say what's going on in the engine compartment as we're loaded for a flea market and on the road right now.

It almost seems like a governor kicking in, but it's not consistant enough. Before the sensor failure this would exceed the speed limit with no problem.

Any ideas??

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pitbovver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a vacuum advance on the dizzy? My ol' aircooled did this and i had a vacuum leak not allowing proper advance.......$.02
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a vacuum unit but they are fine. Once I unloaded I disconnected the idle stabilizer box. The ride back was the same (maybe a little better). It did it to me today at 55.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your are running out of fuel. Most likely the filter. You can check the fuel pressure under load if you like or just go ahead and change the filter and then go for a test drive.
AlexWesty415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Bucking intermittently at highway speed Reply with quote

This exact problem is happening to me right now, did you ever find a fix? I've tried:

- Changed fuel pump and filter
- Changed air filter
- spark plugs
- distro cap and cables

thought it might be a fuel delivery issue. hen maybe a vacuum leak.
My Tack sars bouncing between 3500-4000(if it's accurate)
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bucking intermittently at highway speed Reply with quote

The tach bouncing could point towards an issue in the ignition system.

There are differences in various model year ignition systems so model year of your Vanagon would be useful.

I don't know if "Vanagon syndrome" would also cause the tach to bounce or dip.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bucking intermittently at highway speed Reply with quote

Hello, I had this on my FI beetle and I changed the points, spark plugs, spark plug wires, rotor, cap, injectors and fuel filter along with checking fuel pressure at speed.

Was single injector EV-1 connector with one of the leads pushed up making intermittent connection when the head got hot under load.

Chased for a solid month.
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bucking intermittently at highway speed Reply with quote

what was the tach doing when engine misfires???

If it drops suddenly, definately an ignition issue.

My cure was a new coil. No problems after replacing the coil.
AlexWesty415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bucking intermittently at highway speed Reply with quote

Dude just put in a new ignition coil. Worked like a charm no more bucking no more tach issues and the voltmeter is reading higher than it was. You're a legend.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: