Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1985 Vanagon 1.9 won’t start
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionheartsushi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: 1985 Vanagon 1.9 won’t start Reply with quote

Short is. New plugs, wires, rotor, cap, fuel pump, filters, oil and filter, fuel hose, vacuum hose, timing was done. Engine ran great. Took her out for a ride the other day. Now engine turns over fine. Won’t fire. Don’t hear the fuel pump. But when testing the relay and jumping the Connection the pump fires up fine. Had no issues starting until now. After it ran the other day and we took it out for a ride in the neighboring lot. Came back. Parked and when I went to start it wouldn’t fire. Swapped the relays with new ones for the fuel pump. No change. Checked Bentley book and I am wondering if my ignition switch or coil has suddenly gone bad. Van was my best friends who passed in 08 and it was in his mothers garage since last year when I got it. No issues cranking up till now. Can someone help me with a list of checks I can run down to figure out why it won’t fire. Since it’s sat for so long and Is now being used. Considering getting new coil and what ever else I may need. Wondering if my timing adjustments need to be redone. Ran perfect July 4 eve. Quiet and smooth.
xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Vanagon 1.9 won’t start Reply with quote

Check for spark; Remove wire from center of distributor cap. Hold end 6-10mm from a clean metal surface that's grounded to chassis. Have someone crank motor over at the key. Should blue/white spark. If spark is 5mm or less and yelllow/orange find out the problem. If no spark, check for 12 VDC at coil + 15 terminal. If you have 12 V there run tests in Bentley for the distributor sensor (Hall sensor).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RawUmber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 Vanagon 1.9 won’t start Reply with quote

It sounds like you may have a problem with the Fuel Pump circuit. The ECU should be grounding terminal 86 of the Fuel Pump Relay to turn on the Fuel Pump during these two events: when you initially turn the key/ignition on- Fuel Pump should run for ~1s. And while you're cranking the engine- Fuel Pump should be running. If not, then the ECU isn't doing its job for some reason. If you have a spare ECU handy, try it. Less likely, could also be issue powering the ECU (when key/ignition on, ECU harness 25 is ground, 13 is Battery+) or bad connection between ECU and Fuel Pump Relay (ECU harness 20 to FPR terminal 86).
Lionheartsushi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Vanagon 1.9 won’t start Reply with quote

So. Jumped the fuel pump relay in the back. Pump flows. Can start and runs fine. I’m stumped why the relay won’t trigger when the key is turned. Are there any relays under the dash. I’m trying to identify the fuses and relays behind the instrument cluster and behind the fuse panel. What is the path to trigger the relays for fuel flow.
Lionheartsushi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Vanagon 1.9 won’t start Reply with quote

After swapping fuel filter. And determining that the issue was electrical. I did discover the ground to the relay was not carrying current when the key is turned. Made a ground and connected to the wire ends to the ground. When key turns everything powers up and motor runs smooth. Fuel pump flowing and no idle issues. I’ll have to sus out the ground and try and determine if the ecu is the source or the ground connecting itself. Seems like all old motorized machines. Always a ground. Thank you for pointing me in the direction of the grounds. I’m 99% there now. Least she runs and I know the issue is real hehe
xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Vanagon 1.9 won’t start Reply with quote

If the pump runs when the relay is bypassed, hopefully we can assume that the wiring to the pump and the pump itself are OK. The "computer", ECU controls the relay that supplies power to the pump. The ECU is supposed to get a RPM signal from the Ignition Control Unit. Need to check for continuity between those two locations. Terminal 7, white wire, at the Ignition unit connector and terminal 1 at the plug for the ECU. Disconnect both plugs, ignition off, and use ohm meter to check. Then check from relay socket terminal 86 to ECU plug terminal 20. If those do not have continuity look for broken wires or bad connections.
Did you check for spark? If there is no spark all else is monkey motion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Vanagon 1.9 won’t start Reply with quote

" I did discover the ground to the relay was not carrying current when the key is turned. Made a ground and connected to the wire ends to the ground. When key turns everything powers up and motor runs smooth. Fuel pump flowing and no idle issues."
The fuel pump relay is "grounded" through the ECU. Check the connection as mentioned in my earlier post. If the connection is good from the relay to the ECU and the ECU has good ground through ECU plug terminals 7 and 25 your ECU may be faulty. 7 & 25 ground at the left cylinder head. Those connections are notorious for getting loose and having corrosion problems.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: