Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Worth $1000 ?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Worth $1000 ? Reply with quote

I've been looking for a VW Bus to take the kids camping with during the summer but they're few and far between around here and most that I have found are severely rusted underneath.
I looked at a 77 last night that they guy started redoing and has the doors and glass out of and the interior gutted. He's being posted to Edmonton this summer and can't take the Bus with him. It's complete except for the windshield and the rear bumper and is pretty much rust free except for a small spot under the windshield and a small hole near the real driver's wheel. There is no rust underneath (it came from BC).
The motor sounds great and he has a $4000 receipt from when it was rebuilt around 1000 kms ago. The exhaust on it is new. The front seats are newly reupholstered and have never been installed. That is the good stuff.
The bad is that there is practically no interior but I would be using the interior from my rusty Westfalia anyway and that someone cut a big hole in the roof and had some bubble top on it when the PO bought it. He has a new roof section for it but it would need to be welded on. It also has a homemade rear bumper that would need replaced. Since I couldn't actually take it for a test drive I have no idea of the condition of the brakes or drivetrain. It's been sitting inside for the last 6 years or so.
Would $1000 be too much for it ? Unfortunately I couldn't get any pictures.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only person who can answer this question is you.
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bvolks,

It really depends on a lot of things in particular the amount of time you have to work on it and your skills. It does however sound a little expensive given the fact you have to weld a new roof on there.

You'd be surprised with what you could find for 3-4k and not have to do anything to get it on the road. The bus you have been looking at has been sitting. You'll need to consider so many things including tires, brakes etc...

Craig

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PK399
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it will take a lot of work and some money to get it into shape. If you have the time and space to work on it go for it. Buy some manuals before you start.If you keep looking I'm sure you'll find a better one. I could have bought a 72 Bus from B.C. one summer but the owner wanted to much for it, felt bad about it, bought a Auto Trader the next day, found a Bus in it for $4000.00 in almost mint condition and had it in the driveway two days later! And best of all the bus was in Moncton, N.B. There's good one's out there in the Maritimes and with a little luck you may find one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a decent price to me especially if it truly has a good motor and relatively little rust. However it obviously needs work so only you can decide whether you're ready to tackle such a project or would be happier spending more money for a bus that's ready to roll.
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking over someone else's project is in general is a bad idea unless you have a donor bus(vehicle of the same kind) with any parts you many need... otherwise a(or more than one) simple missing part may stop you dead in your tracks for weeks or months until you can find a replacement..., if there was a way to know the quality of the rebuild/rebuilder, the cost of quality T4 heads alone could be worth the 1K...

in any event IMO if you buy this bus you will not be doing any camping in it this summer unless your superman :0)
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree there would be no camping this summer but I'm not worried about finding parts for it since I have 3 bay window busses for parts (2 of them Westfalias) from when I had my 69.
I agree though that a guy could end up spending quite a bit more in parts and have a lot of time in it before it's back on the road.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
TheTominator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you want it, so you should get it. It sounds like you could part it out and get your money back if you needed to.

If I can't curse, I can't fix it.
71 Bus
78 HD FXS Lowrider 1200cc
An Oldsmobile for crying out loud.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: