Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carpet & flooring options.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattyfatz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Carpet & flooring options. Reply with quote

Hey Folks.
Thinking about a new carpet for my 87 Vanagon GL. The tan interior is pretty trashed.
I was thinking about the Go-Westy carpet kit... or maybe just trying to cut some carpet myself. Anyone put wood floors in? I was thinking wood floors in the middle, carpet in the front, and seat covers from http://www.seatcovers.net/vw-volkswagen-seat-covers.html these guys
what are your thoughts? Question
cannedveggiessuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a good amount of discussions regarding flooring options and issues. Here is a link to several

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196056&highlight=flooring+carpet

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=298485&highlight=flooring+carpet

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200
snowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

in my weekender. Love my wood (floors...).
Mattyfatz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: sweet!!!!! Reply with quote

Nice wood floors snowesty! Very Happy Very Happy .... how did you solve the the trim problem... what I mean to say is what did you do about the the metal trim pieces that border the sliding door?
thanks for the photo>
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Flooors Reply with quote

I had a leftover box of laminate from my kichen that looks like ceramic tile. Fit perfect. I went to a flooring store and got a piece of bullnose for the edge. Cut it to friction fit so I can remove the floating floor in about 33 seconds. (haven't actually timed it). I would add a pic if I had a clue how to do that!
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched quite a while for a metal strip that would fit with my Pergo flooring but finally settled on a piece of quarter-round (non-Pergo so it's vaguely different but not noticiable);

The quarter-round is glued in (though the rest of the floor still "floats"). But I don't intend to need to remove it, either.

I bought the GoWesty (SewFine) carpet kit last summer. I haven't installed it yet, as it will require taking out the kitchen unit to get behind the driver's seat. That's the next project. My only thought on the carpet was that it felt somewhat thinner and perhaps less robust than the OEM carpets. That might not be a problem at all but it seems a little lower in overall quality.
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's 1 box of T&G bamboo flooring from Home Depot...

Right now they're just slid together without glue. I'm going to leave the two slats in the 2nd pic unglued so I can slide the middle bench out for more cargo if need be. it was pretty self explanatory. Took me a few hours. I had to shim the seat track up with a washer under each bolt for the floor to fit underneath, but everything fit pretty well. I've got a matching tapered threshold for the slider edge that I haven't installed yet. Right now the floor just overlaps the silver edge piece. that's probably what I'll do with the wood threshold as well, just overlap the ribbed part of the metal trim.

Overall I'm happy with it. There's a little more road noise because I haven't replaced that funky yellow underlayment with anything yet and hardwood reflects sound a lot more. I'm planning on dynamat or whatever. Also, it is SLIPPERY. Think of the scene in Dumb and Dumber when the dogs are sliding around in the back Laughing. I'm thinking some of that black sandpaper tape like on steps and aircraft wings might help if I can make it look OK. Probably tacky though.

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My company has redone hundreds (thousands?) of apartments with this relatively new product. In the vanagon it would require a subfloor of some sort, but it is an awesome product. Much, much quiter and resilient than any of the laminates we've tested. Also a better grip (less slippery)....sort of a rubbery wood. Durable too (25 year warranty) and some of the patterns look really authentic when installed. We use cherry a lot in high-end apartments and people pay $100/month over carpet and other laminate floors we've tried.
http://www.konectousa.com/main.html

It is sold at Home depot as "trafficmaster". If I was going for the wood look I would definitely consider this with a masonite subfloor. Inexpensive, installs easily, totally waterproof, great selection of colors and styles.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: sweet!!!!! Reply with quote

Mattyfatz wrote:
Nice wood floors snowesty! Very Happy Very Happy .... how did you solve the the trim problem... what I mean to say is what did you do about the the metal trim pieces that border the sliding door?
thanks for the photo>

Added a piece of aluminum angle at the threshold, held by five evenly spaced screws. Inexpensive, sturdy, and no issues after nearly two years.

Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't put my wood in yet but I've already been thinking about the slip n slide issue. My thought was to use either a non slip pad with a rug or to go with these which are four 2'x2' interlocking foam mats which will provide padding as well. either would be easy to remove for when I want to show off the wood.

http://www.greatmats.com/products/foamspecial.php

82 Diesel Westy
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved the slippage problem by getting an inexpensive ($12), washable, non-skid carpet. It fits perfectly and even matches the rest of the interior.

It also substantially reduces the chance of scratching the floor (remember, Pergo and their ilk aren't really "wood"; it's just a bunch of photographs stuck to pseudo-wood) when you slide camping gear, coolers, in and out or get stones caught in your Vibram soles.

Yes, it covers up a lot of the "wood" but I get just as many ooo's and ahhh's about the carpet as I do the floor.
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MootPoint wrote:
I solved the slippage problem by getting an inexpensive ($12), washable, non-skid carpet. It fits perfectly and even matches the rest of the interior.

It also substantially reduces the chance of scratching the floor (remember, Pergo and their ilk aren't really "wood"; it's just a bunch of photographs stuck to pseudo-wood) when you slide camping gear, coolers, in and out or get stones caught in your Vibram soles.

Yes, it covers up a lot of the "wood" but I get just as many ooo's and ahhh's about the carpet as I do the floor.

"Really ties the room together" Smile

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheBlueTurtle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmax25 wrote:
MootPoint wrote:

"Really ties the room together" Smile

fuckin A, man..
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did something very similar to Home Team's. I used a shop mat from Sears. It covered a total of approximately 5' x 5' and consisted of several 1'X1' interlocking squares. I trimmed one edge and it fits over the existing floor really well. All for $10.

Home Team Van wrote:
I still haven't put my wood in yet but I've already been thinking about the slip n slide issue. My thought was to use either a non slip pad with a rug or to go with these which are four 2'x2' interlocking foam mats which will provide padding as well. either would be easy to remove for when I want to show off the wood.

http://www.greatmats.com/products/foamspecial.php

mr_vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we see a pic of this rubber square stuff in situ?
snowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a layer of the puzzle flooring stuff in the back. Clean, removable and cuts out some of the engine noise. I have a thin mat for over the wood for the winter (we have real winters up here Smile ), but I don't worry too much about scratches, if I have to replace it every 3or 4 years, it cost what, $30 in cheap laminate. Acceptable...
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why someone would go to all the trouble to install a nice wood floor then completely cover it with carpet or a rubber pad. Enjoy the wood if that's what you want. Don't cover it up! I myself installed a nice piece of remnant carpet that just lays in over the rubber floor. It's easily removable and I like the added comfort and warmth.
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the nice things about laminate flooring is you're not just limited to the look of wood

(a friend of mine custom made the threshold for me from ash)
Mattyfatz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Great stuff. You have given me some great idea's. This is a great website. Very Happy
cannedveggiessuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are on sale now.

http://www.greatmats.com/products/econolock.php
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: