Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! My lights won't turn off!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blyhigh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Help! My lights won't turn off! Reply with quote

Have an '89 Syncro Westy with GW two battery system. For some reason the headlights won't turn off. I mean, they do, as in they do when you turn off the ignition, but the dash and parking lights remain on. Headlights run off the main battery - which I disconnected. The only thing I can think of was that I was using a solar charger plugged into the lighter right before I discovered the problem. Is there a short in the system? Can I fix it by replacing a fuse? Thanks for your help.

Bly
'89 Syncro Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off usually isn't the problem. Do you have headlight relays installed? You switch may have melted and the little piece of metal on the bottom of the rocker may not be moving any longer. Does anything else remain on besides the lights, like fans or wipers? There is a relay that controls power to them actuated by the ignition switch, the load reduction relay. It may be staying energized to the on position, but I have not heard that would be the issue for keeping stuff on, just not ever letting it go on. Can you read wiring diagrams, if so you can look in the Bentley and trace the items out or use the one I have posted before. One other test may be to pop the switch out of the console. You do this by popping the dash pod cover by lifting from the finger indents on the back and pulling up and towards you. Then the switch is held in place by two plastic fingers on either side, which you squeeze towards the center and pushing it out. Pull of one of the main wires and see if your lights go out. It would kind of narrow it down to the switch if it does.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: