Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!!
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Hey all, awhile back I posted about the brakes on my '73 beetle, and things now couldn't be going better! My dad told me today, that for my 16th birthday (its on the 12th) he and my mom decided that they'd get my bug going again! So the plans for it in the next 2 - 3 weeks are getting the brakes completely redone, that was the reason why it was parked in the first place, and getting a carb and some wiring redone so I can get it on the street! After 6 years of sitting, its coming back to life!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 Standard Beetle
1969 Cessna 172K Airplane
1959 Karmann Ghia
US Army CH-47 Chinook Helicopter Repairer

Last edited by PatterBon on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
gobeatle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be nice to get your bug back on the road again. Mine sat for about 6 years also before getting it on the road last year, same year and color as yours. If there was gas in the fuel line when it was parked, make sure the fuel in the line didn't gel and plug the line. I had to run a stiff wire down my line to open it up, gas started to gel. I also pumped lacquer thinner in the line and let it sit in the line to break up the gel, then I put a gas filter at the end of the steel line. It looks like a nice car to get running again. Good luck.
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! about 3 years ago, when I was 12, my dad told me if I could get it to run, he wouldn't sell it and let me have it...Well 2 years ago, I changed up some of the wiring and changed the spark plugs an battery, and she ran! It was a jerky coughing run, but it ran none the less...After that I decided that I wanted to get it street worthy again but didn't understand all that it took...So I bought a used carb to discover that the previous owner messed with it alot and it couldn't work on my bug...So now I finally have the opportunity to get it going again and I understand all that goes along with it. I'm extremely excited to get it going again Very Happy
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
jamesdagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a pic of your engine and get an on line analysis. You'd be amazed what guys spot in a pic.

I used to drive a '73 std. Great car!

jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was it back when it ran for the little while it did, right now its carburetorless..Sorry for the small image, Ill post some of it up with out it's carb here soon.
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
jamesdagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a hi res picture can be zoomed in on.

Let me be the first to suggest you move the fuel filter out of the engine compartment to under the gas tank or behind the rear left wheel.

Replace those 1/4" rubber fuel lines with metric cloth braided lines. Also replace all the vapor lines in the trunk while your at it unless it's been done or you will smell fuel.

Looks like a 009 mechanical only distributor which is not a good combo with the stock 34PICT3 carb.

You are missing the air preheat hose and the vac hoses that control the flap.

jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that the carb that was on there is a 30/31 PICT, and there was a preheater hose, it was almost like a paper, is that correct? And the vac hoses that control the flap, where would those connect?
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More photos of the engine with out carburetor on it, sorry for the bad bottom pic, I'll be taking some more later today..
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
jamesdagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a paper hose. The vac line connects to the intake manifold just below the carb and goes to the left of those two vac nipples on the air cleaner. The right nipple connects with a short hose to the flap control on the air cleaner snout. You will need to suck on the hose and test for flap movement and plug the end with your tongue and see if it holds vac. It may have been disconnected because it leaks vacuum.

The 009 distributor may work better with that carb but I thing you will still have some hesitation. I'd find a SVDA distributor later on down the road.

Right now you need to be careful how you start that up after sitting so long. Do some searching here and ask some questions or you could do some damage in the first few cranks. I don't know enough to help in that area but many guys will give good advice.

I'm sure after you are ready to crank it over you are going to want to do a valve adjustment and compression test to determine if you need to pull the engine and do rings and valves or more.

How many miles on it? Do you know it's history? Engine ever been out?

Your electrical problems are probably 90% dirty corroded connections.

Best electrical site>

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

jim
vw66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what my '73 looked like when I started the restoration 5 years ago. It looks like a nice, worthy project, and I'm glad to hear another old bug is going to be put back onto the streets. Wink

The 30/31 is a good carb, but with a 1600 dp it will run best on the highway with the 34PICT.
Both my bugs (one with a 30/31, and the other with a 34) had bad hesitation after changing to the 009, but putting larger jets in the carb transformed them into being smooth as glass. These old VW engines like to run a hair rich.
jamesdagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw66 wrote:
That's exactly what my '73 looked like when I started the restoration 5 years ago. It looks like a nice, worthy project, and I'm glad to hear another old bug is going to be put back onto the streets. Wink

The 30/31 is a good carb, but with a 1600 dp it will run best on the highway with the 34PICT.
Both my bugs (one with a 30/31, and the other with a 34) had bad hesitation after changing to the 009, but putting larger jets in the carb transformed them into being smooth as glass. These old VW engines like to run a hair rich.

You are compensating for the distributor with larger jets by throwing more fuel at it. When you step on the gas pedal the timing will advance immediately with a SVDA but with the 009 it must wait for the RPM's to go up, then the timing starts to advance. That's the lag.

Some high performance carbs don't have a vac signal and for some racing purposes the lag is irrelevant. For a daily driver that can turn 90' turns and smoothly pull away in 3rd gear or putt along at idle speed in first and floor it and pull away instantly and smoothly, get a SVDA and 34/3 carb.

jim
bmoehring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice birthday, 4-12, eh? Mine, too.

My 73 sat in a yard for two or three years before I found it. At first this was just going to be a "clean the tank and carb, change the oil, etc" kind of first running. I was told the PO drove it daily until she got another car. Ha! I've found so much goofy nonsense going on with this car that there is no way it was driven faithfully like that. If I ever run across the mechanic who worked on this thing, I'll smack him.

Like jamesdagg has said, there's a lot to be careful of with a car that has been sitting for a while.
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the responses guys! Over the summer, I came across an old notebook inside of the glove compartment, in it were the notes of the previous owner. My dad bought it in 1997, so the note book dated Oct 5 1995..The previous owner took extremely good care of it, valve and oil changes religiously so I know it was well taken care of between 1995 - 1997...Then after my dad bought it, he too did alot of good work on the bug, I don't remember specifically all he did, but I know the he did valve adjustments, replaced the starter and other things but it was taken care of...But since its been sitting, its just been deteriorating over time..
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
r2andkachaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hey I agree its good to another one put back on the road....the fuel filter in the motor can cause some issues.... Like fire...... I have one in mine between the carband fuel pump also but its been lockwired in.... As have all the hose clamps for the fuel lines into the carb fuel pump everytning..... Just make sure you inspect them regularly or your baby could get roasted.... We don't want that. When you fix one thing in these cars it brings up an issue elsewhere but then you fix it all and boom .... Amazingness haha Very Happy.
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I can't wait! I've never seen a stock restored '73 Standard, but I hope to make mine one. I might actually have the engine rebuilt sooner than the summer, so probably some time in May and while that's happening, I hope to sandblast the body and redo the suspension. and then with time and money, get the exterior parts replaced and get it all painted Very Happy ..But that's all a ways off, for now getting it running is the main concern.
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
bmoehring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, sounds like you're on your way.
Be careful withn the sandblasting, though, it can and will warp sheet metal if the metal is blasted too long and hard. Dipping the whole body is an option, but probably more expensive and has its' own risks (like getting a complete rinse accomplished).
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, this will my first time ever sandblasting anything let alone ever using a sandblaster..But that's good to keep in mind knowing that to much is to bad, I honestly thought the more the better. But getting it back up and running again will be an accomplishment in its self...4-12 What day could be better? Laughing I also solo in my plane on the 13th, but that's a completely different subject.
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like your rearmost engine tin & seal is missing. You'll want to get that or a replacement back in there to keep things cooler.
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwold wrote:
Looks like your rearmost engine tin & seal is missing. You'll want to get that or a replacement back in there to keep things cooler.

If you're referring to the the two pictures with out the carburetor, then I removed the engine tin so I could replace the muffler.
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
Fattie
I'd roll it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it up fool Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 120

Jump to: