Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

I am. No doubt about that. Ironically I was going through this thread last night and realized I'd started it when I was 15 and am almost 23 now. That beetle used to drive me to preschool when I was 4. This December will mark it's 19th year in the family! I was super ambitious about it and was under the impression that it would be fully restored by now. But as I've gotten older, I enjoy driving it a lot for its nostalgia. It's floor pans are up next as the "big" summer project and some rust repair too. But once that's been taken care of I'll continue to drive it as is. I can't wait for the day when it rolls out of paint and body work onto it's freshly restored pan and I'm able to step back and see all the years of work come together. It's always been a dream to drive an "original" beetle I can call my own and slowly but surely it's coming along and I still love it as much as I did when I started this post almost 8 years ago!
1973 Standard Beetle
1969 Cessna 172K Airplane
1959 Karmann Ghia
US Army CH-47 Chinook Helicopter Repairer
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Engine bay needs to be cleaned after 2 months of sitting and the fuel filter inside the engine bay is temporary due to wanting to see if the fuel pump was still doing its job correctly. But it looks like my oil cooler may have a small leak and my intake manifold needs paint. I'm wanting to spend a weekend this summer cleaning up the engine bay again and repainting my tins and pulleys so I'll have something nice on my car for the shows around the Pikes Peak Hillclimb this up coming summer. It'll also give me some time to check out how my throw out bearing is doing too and replace if I need to. Fingers crossed that this go around, I wonto run into any bigger issues. But with temperatures being below freezing, I'm content with leaving it be until I have a better weather to do it all in.
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

AH case would be late 73.
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Engine case code is AH377807 and it came with an alternator. Reading the VIN, it rolled off the line some time in January of '73. So the alternator and special 34 PICT-3 carburetor is correct for the engine. The blue labeled coil I don't think is correct for it. But I like the old look of it over a new blue coil.
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

So I got a little treat a couple of weeks ago. A friend of mine came over from Kansas and does professional photography and asked weather or not I would like a photo shoot of the beetle.
While this is the only finished photo, I'm really happy with how it turned out! I never thought my beetle could look good in its current state, and he managed to pull it off!

1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Been a couple months since my last up date. Recently a friend of mine got his beetle to Fort Carson from Barstow, CA and we began work. It hadn't ran in a couple of years, but after a carb rebuild and full brake rebuild, we got it going again. I also (regretfully I didn't take any pictures) did a brake shoe replacement on my beetle along with cleaning up the engine bay a bit. I moved the filter back to the transmission again after a couple of years with it being in the engine bay and I couldn't be happier. In prep for the next coming months, I will be doing a full drivers side pan swap as mine has developed a big crack and hole. I also plan on pulling the engine and replacing the throw out bearing and cleaning up all of the engine tin again in time for show season here in Colorado. With working on getting my friend's beetle going again, it opened my eyes to the passion I used to have for working on these cars. He's rocking a 1600 DP with Tri-Mil euro tip exhaust and it sounds fantastic. I'm hoping to attend VW's on the green up in Denver later this month to get more of a feel for what Colorado has to offer. With that being said, I've come to a point where the majority of the work left on my car is cosmetic. The engine runs strong and the transmission hasn't given me any issues since being installed in 2014. I look forward to regularly updating the progress of my car again once major work starts and I can dive into the much needed body work its going to take to get my now 7 year old project on track for where I want it to be once I'm out of the Army. Sorry for the long winded post, but keep your eyes open for the up and coming progress!
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Hey guys, long time without any other updates, but this time a friend of mine and myself gave floor repair a shot. I'd been aware of the hole in my floor for a long time Embarassed but never really got around to repairing it. After never having a warm cabin and getting tired of water seeping in whenever I drove over a puddle, I finally took the leap of faith and really looked close at how bad my floor was and it was embarrassing. The hole was wider than my fist and went all the way back behind the drivers seat. Since I'm building my friends VW engine, he agreed to sacrifice one of his spare fenders in an effort to repair my floors...Albeit ugly, it got the job done and my car is significantly safer now that my seat doesn't shift around..Eventually I will replace them with the proper panel, but figured you all would appreciate seeing a little improvised work.

1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
Joshooalane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Holy cow I've seen this thing a time or two around!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Yup! Been all around Colorado in it, and it's still kicking. Next winter will marking it having been in the family for 20 years! Eventually it'll get the love and attention that it needs and it'll become an admirably nice car again. I'd planned on doing full pan replacement but being busy all summer I never had the time for it. But no huge plans any time soon. With winter rolling in, I'm glad the hole is patched and I may actually get a little bit of warmth while driving in the cold.
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Hey guys, long time without an update. Not really too much going on with my beetle. It's been my daily now going on 7+ years and really hasn't had any major issues since coming down to Colorado. But this year is particularly important in it's history because in December, the car will have been in the family for 20 years. I'm getting stationed in Korea next spring and will have the car shipped back to Washington and am hoping to slowly start fixing more cosmetic issues. It does need new floor pans and a lot of body work done to it and I figure being gone for a year will finally give me some time to let a professional shop start on it's much needed body work.

Hoping to drop the engine again this summer and clean it up again and make sure the top end is still strong. Other than that, I can't complain!
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Been keeping up with your adventures in the Beetle on FB, glad to see it's been such a reliable driver for you! I too thought my Beetle might be restored by now, but honestly it's just too damn much fun to have on the road for me to want to pull it apart just yet Smile

Keep us updated on that body work! Apart from the pans, how is the rest of the underside of the car holding up?
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Hey guy! Long time without a post.
With the upcoming events going to Korea in a few month, I'll be sending the beetle to WA for the year and get some of the more major work done to it while I'm gone. Pending my next assignment, I want to take the beetle to the East Coast but fear that with their brutal winters, it may not be the best choice. I still drive it around town daily and have no plans on stopping. I'm even going to an even hosted by Pike Peak VW Club this weekend at Bristol Brewing! The only issue I've ran into as of recent is I've noticed that when I turn right or left, the suspension squeals pretty loud and haven't been able to pin point any issue. I had the entire front end rebuilt in early 2014 and suspect urethane bushings being the issue.
But other than that and brake light sensitivity, there haven't been any issues. I did notice in winter of 2014 and last winter (I was overseas in 2015) that my lights in my dash would quit working and the alternator light would come on periodically if I hit my turn signals. Come to find out almost 3 years later, that I had a really old 8 amp fuse that was losing its continuity. Embarassed after replacing it, all is well again and all of the lights work as they should.
Getting ready for one last cold Colorado winter and then the beetle should be in good hands for a bit, getting a face lift! Then off to our new adventure somewhere in the country!
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Hey, I got sent to Korea back when the angry midgets dad was testing missiles and acting stupid too!

Good thread though, just found it and slowly catching up. Cool seeing all your adventures.

Good luck in SK, hope you get to stay at Humphrey's.
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Thank you! I am going to Humphreys and from what hear, the facilities are being updated this year so I should be pretty spoiled when I get there!
After catching up with an old friend about the adventures the car had been on, I remember my dad, during his visit in March, saying "I bought this car because it was cheap and your mom and I needed a car to get around in when we'd moved back from Alaska. Never did I think that you'd take such a liking to it and eventually drive it half way across the country!" I often times take it for granted being that it's my daily driver, but I find myself remembering all the ups and downs I've had with it over the past 8+ years I've been a member of this website. It's been through a lot, all the way up to the Canadian Boarder in WA, down to Raton, NM. It has it's quirks and I've claimed on countless occasions that it'd be going in for it's much needed restoration, but at the end of the day, it's just been a reliable commuter car for the past 4 years. I couldn't thank the support I've had over the years enough. All the way from trouble shooting why my engine wouldn't go in, to why is smells funny.
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
Fattie
I'd roll it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

do it
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Getting ready for my final winter tune up in Colorado. Hoping in the late March/Early April time frame to get the bug up to Washington to start having a lot of the minor rust repair done and get the floor pans replaced while I'm in Korea. Only issue I've ran into is all the FLAPS here don't have Bosch parts stocked anymore. Car With Charwcter has been a huge asset for getting all the small parts replaced over the past couple years, but with a year and not a whole ton of money to invest, I'm hoping to get the car more comfortable to drive once I come home. I've decided if I have to go to the east coast that the car will remain in Washington for the duration of assignment to the east coast. For those who have had their late models restored, what are the major hurdles you have encountered? I have some rust spots around the rear window that have appeared over the last year that I'd like to have fixed, as well as the interior getting redone, but I'd really like to not overlook any major areas that are neglected that I can have fixed over the year that I won't be able to drive it. I know it's vague, but are there any suggestions from the guys who've been doing this for a bit and had to opportunity to get major fixes done?
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Hey guys, few small updates, and I'll load pictures later tonight!
Over the past couple of weeks I started to notice that my front passenger side wheel bearing was starting to go. It was grinding pretty badly, but I had time on Saturday to get it and the drivers side bearings replaced. I also did a quick tune up as well to include an oil change, spark plug replacement, and I also replaced the cap, rotor, and points too. I was skeptical due to the fact that I wasn't able to source Bosch parts and wound up having to use the generic NAPA brand ignition components. But they paired with NGK plugs, I am extremely pleased with the cars performance! After a quick timing adjustment (all of this after valve adjustment) the car fired right up and drives like a champ!
Being that I'm on an Army Post, I had to use the community shop to be able to get all of this done in a timely manner and was honestly shocked at how much attention the beetle drew. I had several people approach me and make offers on the car and several others that just wanted to sit inside of it and get up close to one. It was also nice having it cooperate and start up immediately after the tune up and idle with out having the prime the system at all.
It was 14-15 degrees the past two mornings too and the car starts up without any issue and drives strong. The only complaint I can seem to find is its mediocre heat when it gets that cold here. But other than that, the beetle lives on and still gets love! I have plans for the chassis first and foremost when I'm able to get it up to Washington and back at the shop that I used to work at. Hopefully when I come home from Korea, it'll be nice and solid again with a lot of the rust issues being corrected by the time it's ready to go off to our next duty station!
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Hey PatterBon

I just found this thread...wow lots of reading to catch up on for sure...from what I can see...this is gonna be an awesome read...thanks for posting everything on here...

MikeC
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

This is one of the longest threads I've found for a single car. Impressive.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Small update, last weekend I got my new tires and learned how to replace them with some help from a couple good friends. The tires were in awful shape so it was really good peace of mind knowing I have new tires on the beetle! I also had a lug that was rounded from a previous wheel removal. It was seized so badly into the wheel that it shattered a hardened impact extractor. With a little heat, a new extractor and shifting the wheel around, I was able to remove the lug. I'm working getting pictures of it uploaded! I also ordered a new emergency brake cable earlier this week and am hoping it's here by this weekend so the beetle can be 100% again! Only a couple months until it's back up in Washington and will be getting it's new floors installed by Morris Race Engines! This thread has slowed down a lot, but the beetle is still getting lots of love! It also hit 20 years of being in the family as of 21 December!
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120  Next
Jump to:
Page 116 of 120

Jump to: