Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Cool history, congrats on keeping it going so long!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
Cool history, congrats on keeping it going so long!

Thank you! Crazy how quickly it all went by. I remember being four years old and my dad picking me up in it and being small enough to stand on the running board. I remember declaring that I wanted to learn to work on it probably 15 or 16 years ago and when I was 13, my mom teaching me how to drive a standard by letting me go back and fourth in the driveway with it. I can't wait to eventually get it back up to WA so my folks and I can enjoy it again.
1973 Standard Beetle
1969 Cessna 172K Airplane
1959 Karmann Ghia
US Army CH-47 Chinook Helicopter Repairer
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Merry Christmas Eve!
Keeping with the spirit and story of the beetle; a few weeks ago when driving to work, I noticed my lights would suddenly get super bright for a few seconds and then would dim back down to normal. I cleaned up the contacts on the voltage regulator as well as the contacts on the alternator. Readings were high at 14.9v-15.5
For the drive home, seemed to have fixed the problem. However the following day, on the way back in, the charging light came on right outside of my parking lot, so I quickly pulled in and checked the belt and that wasn't the problem.
After hunting around the FLAPS no one seems to carry (not surprisingly) a VW alternator so I had to special order one. A few days later, in came the Autozone Duralast alternator that had a different set up from the Motorola one I've been used to seeing. The mounting studs were oriented different and the pole for the hot wires is infront of the plug rather than beside it. But it did the job and the car dropped back down to 13.9-14.2v while charging.
When I pulled the old alternator off, beads of solder fell out of it.
Has anyone experienced this before? The old alternator worked great for eight years, never a problem or hiccup and then suddenly gave out in a near catastrophic way. The stator is visibly burnt up but up until that morning, all seemed well with it. I do still run an externally regulated system.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Today is always a day to highlight for the beetle.
13 years ago today, I finished final assembly of my engine after three failed previous attempts. The shop owner at Morris Race Engines slowed me down and taught me to take my time despite being eager to finish as quickly as possible. His unmatched patients and care coupled with the fact that he never lost his temper with me; I believe led to me being a helicopter mechanic today.
I've seen a lot of posts recently on social media asking about the reliability of Type 1 engines and inquiries about their longevity. Most folk saying that engines last ~100,000 miles at best.
Though I haven't been able to accurately track the miles put into my beetle, it's successfully driven from Washington to Colorado, where it was my daily for almost four years at an altitude of 6,000 feet. Then again being driven from Lubbock, TX down to Copperas Cove, where I live today, where it's continued to be my daily again for almost another four years.
It's had no major mechanical hiccups, only two alternator replacements and ignition component replacements. But it's been a solid 13 years of enjoyment and reliability in every condition imaginable. There were days in Colorado where the temperature was -15° or more and days in Texas where the temperature was 110°+ and it's kept chugging along through it all.
This thread is a fun (almost) 14 year long time capsule with the help and mentorship from everyone along the way. It couldn't have done it without all the brains of the people who've followed me along the way. 13 years down, and another 13 to go!

1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

A motivating update Very Happy. Great way to start the day. Good morning!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Long time since an update. Today, while enduring the crazy Centra Texas heat, I was thinking about how well this car was engineered. As y'all have seen over the years, I'm very much a purist. Much like my post back January, going over all the journeys this car has been on, it's done it all pretty bone stock. 034 Distributor with points and condenser, German 34-3 carb, a fuel pump my dad installed 24 years ago, etc. Today is probably the hottest tempurature I've driven the car in at 106° with an outside "real feel" of 119/120°. My commute is roughly a 30 minute drive one way and while not astronomical, it's still a decent drive and the car didn't skip a beat. Not once did I have to question whether or not we'd make it, it cruised happily at 55mph. Just remarkable how something that was designed almost 90 years ago still performs admirably today. Whether it was at sea-level in Seattle, 6000' and -20° in Colorado or 106° in Central Texas, it's just kept going.

1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Hey guys,
It's that time of year where old parts start failing! A week ago, I noticed my brakes getting spongy so I asked a friend of mine to help bleed them. Sprayed penetrating oil on the bleeder screws and tried using a socket to get them initially loose and wound up shearing off both front wheel cylinder bleed screws...
A quick trip to the FLAPS the following morning and we were in business again, however, there was a loud metallic "ping" coming from the master cylinder and it wouldn't build pressure at all. We adjusted the shoes to the drum, bench bled the master and couldn't get the thing to build pressure nor would the "ping" go away.
Another trip to the FLAPS and I was lucky enough that they had a replacement on hand. We installed everything and got the bleeding. Two quarts of brake fluid later, and after bench bleeding thr master, I had barely and pedal.
A few phone calls to the chain of command and I was lucky enough to get Monday off so I could tend to the brakes. ANother good friend of mine works at a local shop and offered me the use of his vacuum bleeder and I must say, that's a tool everyone ought to have if they ever have to do brakes solo. Maybe 20 minutes of going wheel to wheel and my pedal is solid!
Still here and there working being done, but the car has been doing great over this past year being home from Europe. The excessive heat does bother me a bit with the rebuild getting up there in years but all the engine vitals are fine and the endplay is still well within limits. Fingers crossed this is the last break until it starts getting cooler. Nothing like crawling around in the driveway when it's 106° out!

1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Hey guys, wanted to cover reliability today.
I know there's a couple regulars here who've owned their beetles for 3+ decades (Cusser) and are still cruising, but I had an epiphany yesterday.
My commute to work is ~320/345 miles weekly.
I can do 64+ miles a day for 5 days and don't have to fill up until Friday.
I did more than my regular commute this week and then filled Friday at 9.65 gallons, so ~.35/65 gallons to the 10.0 gallon tank or the true 10.3 gallon tank.
I haven't had a reliable odometer for the past 10 years but I've been able to do average calculations given the distance I drive daily.
Granted the car sat between 2013/2014 and then was doing ~212 miles round trip every couple days between 2018/2019.
I've ventured a guess that the beetle is nearing the 500,000 mile mark in the next year or so since it's rebuild captured in this forum some years back.
What's the longest everyone has driven their beetle? I still drive mine every day, use points and condenser, do the regular interval maintenance and we're still chugging along despite the high milage.
Once I'm out of the Army, I've blocked off~ 35k for a proper restoration finally, but until then, I'm just cruising!
Lemme know!
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Big update!
As it was made known some years ago, my pans were something to be desired. My friend and I did a haphazard job, using another beetle's fender to make a floor. Well as time goes on, I'd neglected them to the point where water would spray in if I hit a deep enough puddle. So after talking about it at work, a good friend of mine and Blackhawk Pilot who does vintage American Muscle volunteered to do up my floors for free. He has some absolutely show class cars so I figured, why not? After just wanting to do patches at first, not realizing how rotten they'd become, I just did it right and bought a pan half. In just 6 hours time, we tag teamed the floor today and it turned out wonderful! It's also my 10 year anniversary in the Army today so it was a cool gift to myself and my car. We looked over the passenger side and it's surprisingly solid without rot.
After a couple hours of cutting and fitting, we fit the new pan, bloted and welded it in and the seams with a generous amount of sealer and then coated it in a rubberized under coating and I truly couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out! I need new carpet and new floor mats, but this is an excellent step in the right direction!
Though it's not the preferred method, we got it to fit like a glove with the body on too, that was a lot more arduous than I'd thought, so someday when this thing actually gets restored, the body will be coming off.

1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
Buenos Diaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks for your service!
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Thank you! I never would have guessed that this is how I would have spent it had you asked 5 years ago, but I had fun.
It's eye opening to see how bad the rust can get and how little time it takes to spread. The peace of mind now is also super nice.
Little by little, this car will continue to be fixed and driven until I can give it a proper restoration!
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Looking good! Now, about that running board.... Think

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Looking good! Now, about that running board.... Think

Weird thing is, everything on the passenger side is intact and still looks decent. The pans, running board, etc all look fine. The drivers side was fine up until about two years ago when it was noticeably more rotten and so was the floor. The car still has an extremely far way to go but it's at least going to make it there!
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

As there's always an end to any good story, my time in the military is coming to a close. After coming home from Europe, I was declared medically unfit to continue service and am currently undergoing a medical separation/retirement.

How does this have anything to do with my VW you ask? Well, my wife and I decided that we are going to be moving back to Washington State, where this all began and she is leaving ahead of me to get things sorted out up there as I wrap things up down here. As things go, she's taking the "reliable" vehicle, our 2020 F-150, leaving me down here with my beloved daily.

When everything is all said and done, she is going to make the 2,632 mile trek back down here to haul me and my sorry beetle all the way back home. But where would the fun in any of that be? I was contacted by a long time friend, the one who was taking care of my beetle while I was in Korea, and he expressed interest in coming down here and taking the trip with me back to WA.

Mind you, three days ago marked the 14th anniversary since I finished the final rebuild on my engine, though it's still strong running and has its daily 64 mile commute daily, I've decided that I am going to risk it and drive the bug back home. Seems fitting to have things come full circle, driving my car back home after dragging it around the U.S. all this time.

With that, we do in fact have a contingency plan. My wife has agreed to follow my wildly slow car, tow bar in hand, as my buddy and I take it on one last grand adventure back home, where it will tentatively reside for good. I'm not as young or as ambitious as I was 10 years ago when I drove it to Colorado, nor is it as comfortable as I remember it being all those years ago, but why not?

The trek will (hopefully) happen some time in late April or May, so the Texas sun shouldn't be too bad. We are going to avoid the mountains and opt to not go through New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, etc...But instead plan on driving it up the West Coast.

I've given this car a lot of praise over the last few years so hopefully it doesn't make a liar out of me and it we make it, albeit slowly, back home. Once we're back up there and settled, barring any major issues, I will start coordinating it's long promised (and frankly, needed) restoration with a professional company. It'll have finally earned it's spot as a minimal commuting car around a sleepy county in rural Washington rather than the SUV it's been to me an my buddies all across Texas these past few years.
Stay tuned for pictures, both good and ugly as I inevitably set off on the endevour of getting my car home in the coming months!
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120
Jump to:
Page 120 of 120

Jump to: