Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NOS camshaft with timing gear + 5
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: NOS camshaft with timing gear + 5 Reply with quote

Hello all,
NOS camshaft with timing gear + 5 will fit any stock engine normally ?

I want to built brand new engine myself ,all parts are brand new NOS , crankshaft NOS , engine case , and so on & on...

My question is Question : is this camshaft with timing gear + 5 , will fit to the engine without any problem ?

What's the meaning of +5 , comparing to camshaft with timing gear -0- ?

Thanks for you help

Ofir
1961bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on how the case is machined. You will find out from the cam gear backlash when you do the first mockup.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The case is brand new , the crankshaft is brand new , bearing size standard , standard ,

What's the meaning of +5 ?

Thanks
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ofir wrote:
The case is brand new , the crankshaft is brand new , bearing size standard , standard ,

What's the meaning of +5 ?

Thanks

to account for small tolerance differences in cases depending on moulds and subsequent rebuild machine work, VW manufactured cam gears in various sizes.

to my knowledge, which is not borne from experience in this particular field, VW manufactured the sets ranging from -3 to +3 to allow gear lash to be set correctly without worrying about case tolerances.

0 is abviously the theoretical size of the cam gears, if the centre line of the cam and crank is further apart than the theoretical dimension, then a + set is required. the degree of plusness depends on the dimension.

As for the exact size of the graduations, i'm not sure. Someone will come along shortly to fill in the blanks, or tell me I talking complete bollocks, but either way, until you fit it and measure your gear lash, there is no way to tell if it's the holy grail or not
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paraphrased from Gene Berg:" VW made "0" to plus 7 and minus 7 (15 sizes). When the factory sets up the align bore machines there will always be deviation on the center to center distance from crank to cam. Often just the temperature of the machine that bores the holes can change that distance. The gears aren't different sizes; the pitch angle is deviated to make the different fits. The object is to have the fit as close as possible without backlash, yet not create a load against the bearing diameter."

I've seen to minus 5. Hope this helps. Al
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALB wrote:
Paraphrased from Gene Berg:" VW made "0" to plus 7 and minus 7 (15 sizes).

see, i knew i'd get something wrong Very Happy
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marv [UK] wrote:
ALB wrote:
Paraphrased from Gene Berg:" VW made "0" to plus 7 and minus 7 (15 sizes).

see, i knew i'd get something wrong Very Happy

You didn't have all the info, but as usual you have a good understanding of the situation.
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pitch diameter is different, not the pitch angle.

You do want a small amount of back-lash.... check it at 3-4 places as you rotate the gears around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: