Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weight
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
Or DOT says their scales are calibrated periodically and are good to 20 lbs.

OK I started adding up the weight of all the possible extras in a Syncro Westy, including all the popular add-ons (like auxillary batteries, solar panels, heavy bumpers, roof racks, etc) plus a generous amount of gear and food for two people, then add a full fresh water tank and fuel tank-- and I got pretty close to the extra 2K lbs you would need to make a 5200 lb Syncro Westy. I don't think my 2wd has ever been close to that, but now I'm a believer and I understand why some of you stress so much about tire ratings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desert westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Weight Reply with quote

We have a truck scale at work. My 84 Westy weighs about 3600# without all the gear. Weight for the front wheels and rear wheels is split evenly until I get in to drive making the front heavier than the rear.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Weight Reply with quote

wcdennis wrote:
I have a reprint of a review of my 84 Westy that lists the weight as 3370. Hard to imagine how passengers, fuel and gear can make up 2100 pounds. I wonder if those truck scales are not very accurate at the 4-5k range, since they are made to weigh much heavier vehicles.

3370 lbs. is the weight of an empty tintop Vanagon: your Westy weighs more like 4200 lbs. empty.

Highway scales, dump scales and yard scales all report similar weights.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Weight Reply with quote

Once you know your ACTUAL axle weights, you can make an informed decision about proper inflation for the actual load.

as you can see here, out of 33 Vans reporting:
http://www.roadhaus.com/tires/load.html

"24% were loaded over the spec limits

67% of vehicles have more weight on front axle than the rear axle.
"

if somebody wants help with proper load inflation, Im happy to help.. if you PM me your actual axle weights, and your actual tire specs (max load, and max PSI)

or you can calculate for yourself.. here are some rules of thumb (better accuracy from Load Tables, but this will get you close, and err on the high side)

data for my 87 Syncro Westy, actual truck scale weight, with 245x75x16 BFG AT KO tires, and me in the driver seat.

front axle 2300 pounds
rear axle 2700 pounds
tires rated for 3042 pounds at 80 PSI

example calculations
calculate front wheel load
2300/2= 1150 pounds

add 20% safety margin: 1150x1.2=1380

calculate inflation 1380/3042x80=36 psi front
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight Reply with quote

that's cool, Jon. i know nothing about tire loading... does it really work in a linear relationship like that? if so, a great way to figure psi to run at!

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight Reply with quote

Here is an interesting load chart for a Toyota. It appears that the relationship is pretty linear above 30 psi in this example.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight Reply with quote

Tire pressures are a bit subjective. I have run 27x8.5R14's on both my 91 Multivan and my 83 1/2. On the Multivan 2 psi below the numbers on the sticker worked pretty well front and rear, whereas for my 83 1/2 I end up running the front 4 psi below the sticker number to lessen the understeer while keeping the rear at the pressure on the sticker.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
that's cool, Jon. i know nothing about tire loading... does it really work in a linear relationship like that? if so, a great way to figure psi to run at!

-dan

no
Load tables are more optimistic than the linear math I prefer to use. Load tables alocate about 10-20% of the load capacity to the empty tire carcass

so my linear math is more conservative, and produces higher inflation targets than the load tables

and, after calculating load inflation, I often use an extra 5psi, IF I feel the van is too "soft" and has too much body roll.

and, If the van oversteers, I change the relationship between front and rear inflation (using more air in back than in front)

start with the tire inflation targets on your doorjamb.. then drive test

note that doorjamb inflations are NOT the same for front and rear.. I do NOT like using equal front and rear pressures, due to not liking oversteer...

front and rear axle weights have a LOT to do with what pressures are actually needed

weigh your Van! then decide what the minimum safe inflation is

bear in mind that doorjamb inflations are for GVWR.. IF the van is overloaded door jamb pressures may be too low

at the other extreme, overinflation produces uncomfortable ride, banging over lane dots and road seams..
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight Reply with quote

FWIW, my 84 Tin-top with TDI engine (15" steel rims 215/75/15 tires) , weighs 3,640 with me in it and about a half tank of fuel..... local recycler's scales!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: