Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Retractable Cargo Cover
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:

I've always thought the Westy brown could use a splash of a periwinkle floral print! Razz

That's what you get for letting your wife drive it!
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 and I are on the same page here.
The cargo shade allows a bit less interest for those who peek in the windows while we are out doing the fun stuff. People cannot miss my green Westy. They leave notes under the wiper and noseprints on the window glass.
So this month I will begin the process of designing a UV resistant, washable, tan fabric panel that will attach just like the sliding door window curtain. Perhaps even adding a set of front/back fiberglass stiffner rods to keep the cover taunt (these rods can stow up in the nook by the rear window). By keeping away from a roller-type shade it can stow easily with the window coverings.
Will share how it comes out with the Samba. If someone wants one afterwards, maybe we do that too.
Cheers,
Jeffery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
simd0ggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the width REQUIRED here in this post, and since I don't have a T3...
Anyway, my wife's Dodge Caliber has one of the nicest designs I've seen, and it is approx 50" wide. Retractable cover, and the roller unit (bar just behind rear seat) has springy ends that fit into notches, that you could easily replicate. The springy ends make it able to have a little play in the width, and easy to install and remove for laying the rear seat down.

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the first post
45.5" wide by 35" deep
simd0ggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops!

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Mercedes double roller blind would be a cool addition, 'cause it not only has the horizontal cargo cover, but also includes a vertical pet partition. It's 50.5" wide and kinda pricey. They're available in a variety of colors. I have one in grey for my wagon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCEDES-W124-300TE...53e4cbab41

Another option would be the Audi 100CS Avant rear cover which is 54.5" wide

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably update anyone interested in the progress I made. I had a roller shade trimmed down to my exact dimensions and mounted it just behind the rear backrest. I placed a dowel in the end of the fabric and made it possible to fix it into place at the rear. It was really effective except for the return mechanism. It seems the springs are set to return the shade from a vertical position, not from a horizontal position like in the van. Not a deal breaker, just a minor annoyance. My other issue was that if I wanted to grab something in the back from the rear seat I'd need to go around and roll back the cover. Still, the cover worked exactly as I'd intended from the beginning.

Ultimately though, the spring mechanism died, and I wasn't willing to go through the process again every year or so. I now think Jeffery (plummerdesign) is on a better path by keeping it simple with a sheet of fabric that can be folded up and stowed away. Perhaps even using snaps at the corners to fasten it would make it fool proof while also allowing for access to the rear from the back seat. Jeffery, I'm looking forward to seeing your design, hopefully in person on Dec. 19th when a bunch of locals meet up at the NW Lucky Lab.
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is where window shopping at the jy is invaluable--lots of diversity and quantity. thats how I found out the F150 muffler would work. take a tape withya, and go on a fact finding mission.
Ill bet the isuzu rocky or amigo has something your size. the suby legacy has one too. most little wagons, like a 95 accord wagon. they attach to the rear strut towers and have lambchop fins on the sides to provide strait channels for the sides to slide in.

Last edited by thummmper on Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
I now think Jeffery (plummerdesign) is on a better path by keeping it simple with a sheet of fabric that can be folded up and stowed away. Jeffery, I'm looking forward to seeing your design, hopefully in person on Dec. 19th when a bunch of locals meet up at the NW Lucky Lab.
Oh snap, another Jeffrey in the PDX group Very Happy and another van to be Green with envy over Rolling Eyes Can't wait boys! I am thinking a sunbrella cover made to fit with snaps may be the best way to go.
HAPIKAMPER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a damage writer for a large rental fleet, If your still interested in your original design I will measure a few for you and see if I can find something to your specs. Thinking i might want to do the same to my "fat bastard" Very Happy

" I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members'' - Groucho Marx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAPIKAMPER wrote:

I'm a damage writer for a large rental fleet, If your still interested in your original design I will measure a few for you and see if I can find something to your specs. Thinking i might want to do the same to my "fat bastard" Very Happy

Well how could I turn down an offer like that? Very Happy If you do stumble across something, please keep us informed. I imagine some of those factory covers could potentially be modified to fit as well. Thanks, and I'm interested in seeing what others come up with.
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to follow up, I did install a simple roller cargo shade and offer up a visual guide to everyone.
My stuff is a bit more hidden when out and about. The less they see, the less they are tempted.
Cheers,
Jeffery
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image is to show that the shade extends WITH the rear hatch. OR it can be un-hooked and retracted prior to opening the hatch. Simple and useful.
SteelB12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is cool. I might even be able to do that
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it - nice work!

Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could always tint your windows too
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I just close my rear curtains. $0.00

x2. I'm all for innovation, but how is this more desirable than a curtain? Seems like more for me to break and or/get in the way.
supersooner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better, I think, because one doesn't have to close the curtains at each stop and open them again when leaving. Not a big chore, but the cargo cover is more convenient.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plummerdesign wrote:

Image is to show that the shade extends WITH the rear hatch. OR it can be un-hooked and retracted prior to opening the hatch. Simple and useful.

Very nicely set up! My version ultimately failed due to the roller mechanism, and the fact that I couldn't access the items undercover without getting out and walking to the rear of the van. Your set up with the roller at the rear remedies this while also "opening" like a trunk with the rear hatch lifted. I'm eager to check this out in person someday soon. Maybe one of the local meet-ups this spring or summer.

Erik
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okcattleco wrote:
Better, because one doesn't have to close the curtains at each stop and open them again when leaving. Not a big chore, but the cargo cover is more convenient.
...'zactly!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: