Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear springs question
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Rear springs question Reply with quote

Mornin' folks,

I have a question about my rear springs.

First some background:

I'm currently running front springs from a '91 GL currently (lower than stock for my '85 Wolfsburg).

The rears are the original '85's. I've been using Airlift bags to keep things stiff and level. Recently, BOTH of my bags blew out. I've always been a proponent of these things, but after three blowouts, I'm done with them.

One thing I've always hated is the serious negative camber of my rear wheels. Everything is level, but it's because the back wheels are splayed out (taller rear springs, shorter front springs.)

I think I'm going to go with the cutting board spacers in the rear. Here's my question:

Running the spacers with the '85 rear springs might jack up the back end a bit. Is this going to correct the camber at all (camber bolts are already adjusted all the way down.)

Or,

Does it make more sense to use spacers with the '91 rear springs that I have sitting in my garage and level it out that way?

The '91 rears are shorter than the '85 rears and I'm thinking that with spacers, maybe the camber won't be so bad in the back end.

I know I can test this in the real world, but I'm just curious if any suspension gurus can say, before I do it, how it might change the characteristics of the rear end as well as what it will do to the camber.

Thanks for listening...

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear camber is adjustable. Maybe you need a rear end alignment. Start putting penetrating oil on the nuts and bolts now. They've probably never been touched.
djbside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear springs question Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I've been using Airlift bags to keep things stiff and level. Recently, BOTH of my bags blew out. I've always been a proponent of these things, but after three blowouts, I'm done with them.

What brand and model of airbag were you using? I'm tossing the idea of bagging Rose all the way around and curious to know what brand is blowing out on you.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motelvw wrote:
Rear camber is adjustable. Maybe you need a rear end alignment. Start putting penetrating oil on the nuts and bolts now. They've probably never been touched.

I have adjusted the camber all the way down (in) on the left, and I'm still kicked out on both sides. The right side bolt is TIGHT.

djbside wrote:
What brand and model of airbag were you using? I'm tossing the idea of bagging Rose all the way around and curious to know what brand is blowing out on you.

These are the Airlift brand ones. They're red balls that sit inside the coil. I had one blow out along the seam a few years ago, and they did replace it for free. This time both blew out horizontally along the seam, oddly enough, so I'm just thinking I'll try something different.

I guess it makes the most sense to try the '91 GL rear springs with spacers and see how it lines up.

Maybe the shorter springs are stronger and will hold the wheels in a little better? Is this logical thinking?

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com

Last edited by joetiger on Mon May 18, 2009 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

These are the Airlift brand ones. They're red balls that sit inside the coil. I had one blow out along the seam a few years ago, and they did replace it for free. This time both blew out horizontally along the seam, oddly enough, so I'm just thinking I'll try something different.

I guess it makes the most sense to try the '91 GL rear springs with spacers and see how it lines up.

Maybe the shorter springs are stronger and will hold the wheels in a little better? Is this logical thinking?

Don't bother with 'em.
I've had two spring leaks in 1.5 yrs..
One at the seam.. One at the nipple.
Since then one bumper stop has dissappeared.. I presume it was from working against the air bag?

I have since gone to the Monroe coil over shocks. Ride height was lifted to 18" initially and has since settled to around 17.75"

The ride is SO MUCH better as to be gigglin'.. and I can now put 200 or 300 lbs on the rear 2" hitch without dragging the Westy's ass down much at all.
200 or 300 lbs on the hitch just made the air bags go.. hissssssssssss.

Have had the coil overs on for a month now.. No problems. But am keeping a watchful eye on the lower shock mount.
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling all Air Lift defenders to this thread!Is Terry Kay around? Laughing
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dauntless Defender of Air Lifts is here.

Let's see,

The air bags have been in my 87 Westy for 8 years, and in my 89 Carat for 5.

Ony had one leak,in one bag , in the 87 after 5 years, called Air Lift, and got a new pair NC.
You can't beat that---

They are infinantly guaranteed, I like the adjustability option, and seeing as they are guaranteed for life, take only 10 minutes to swap out in the event of failure--I'll keep running them.

Air shocks or overload (spring assist) shocks are not the way to go.
The shock mount's were never intended to carry the whole load of ass end of the Van.

Keep a real close eye on the shock pins ( bolts)
They wll snap in time, and if your on the roll--watch how a loose, banging shock will tear up the rear arm or upper sheet metal in the wheel well area.
Neat---

What would happen if the poster who is PO'ed at the Air Lifts was runnng a Walker Muffler ( that also has a lifetime warrantee) had a couple of failure's in, lets say 5 years do?

Toss the muffler and run a straight pipe?

Nuts.

One other thought regarding the camber problem mentioned.

If you can't get the camber adjustment squared away---you've got some other problems, besides not being able to get it dialed in.

Maybe you need to replace the worn out rear control arm bushings, pins, the arms are outa wack, or something else your not seeing.

Adding spring spacer's, or air bags is cosmeticly correcting another problem your not seeing.

Take a ride to an alignment shop and get a professional opinion, and /or alignment.

Your not seeing, or maybe / possibly overlooking something real obvious.

Beisides---you got a front end rack in your back yard to dial in the rear end alignment, dead nut's?
Or is it an Earl the Eye Ball on the money camber dial in?

Take it to an alignment shop, and have them put the Van on their rack.
camo westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the alignment shop suggetsion; BUT

Make sure the alignment shop actually preforms the alignment correctly, and
Ask the shop to give you the actual alignment specs of the van before any adjustments and what they did to correct any misalignments.

Reason, most production shops have a 'range' of settings that are considered OK.

When I replaced all of the wear parts in the front of my van, the van developed a horrible noise whenever the suspension moved... I finallly got under the van with a stethescope, while a friend bounced the van... result, both brand new (German) upper ball joints were groaning and one upon inspection was binding. I drilled and installed grease fittings, reassembled. No more noise, But--- the alignment (camber) changed on the binding side, not much but it changed..
morales of the story, 1)new parts are not all great 2)small binding issues and wormn parts can drasticly affest handleing/alignment.

Find a small shop where you can talk to someone who actually does the work, and you can talk to, perhaps monetary tip may help get to the bottom of your issue.
Good Luck
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
The Dauntless Defender of Air Lifts is here.
You can't beat that---

(edited down)

The shock mount's were never intended to carry the whole load of ass end of the Van.

They wll snap in time, and if your on the roll--watch how a loose, banging shock will tear up the rear arm or upper sheet metal in the wheel well area.
Neat---

I am not PO'd at AirLift.. I just think they are not quite what Air Lift advertises.. I think they may provide a bit of improved handling (maybe)and possibly 200lbs or so of additional weight carrying capacity.. But nothing to rage on about.
And I appreciate the lifetime warranty. I have replaced both bags and will keep them in case the coil-overs don't work out in the long run.

When I installed the airbags I was not impressed with any noteable ride improvement.. but I can chalk that up, in part, to how bad the shocks were.

The airbags provided marginal ride height equalization.. I was able to measure, maybe 3/4" lift when inflated to 25psi, with no wieght in the van. Once I loaded a couple people in the back the van sat back at 16 and change.. 16-5/8" if I recall correctly.

There are a couple possibilities why my air bags failed.
One is that I have put undo forces on my Westy's rear end by towing 3000lbs around town. (starting at 325lb tongue wieght then adjusting to 250)
Another is that my old shocks were SHOT.. I mean near useless.
Its testimony to how well engineered the rear suspension is that the van handled as well as it did with almost zero left in the shocks. I think somone else has posted to that effect.

I hear your concern about the shock mounts.. but it is not the bolt that I am worried about.. It is the mount bracket.. particularly the lower one. I am fairly certain that would fail first. So I am watching it.
I am also watched for deformation around the mount bolt hole.. We'll see what transpires in the next yr. The lower mount welds look fairly robust. The top mount is in line with subframe so the loads are well distributed.

Can the shock break lose and tear the rear up to holy hell?
Quite possibly..
But I can hear loose rattles from the rear and after initial install, one bolt had been loose. Mechanical rattle.. easily heard while driving around town.. Wrenched it and it has not worked loose since.

We'll see how this pans out.. I've got a hefty hitch mount bikerack (tire tray design) coming and that will see quite a bit of duty over the summer.
100+lbs, all up, levered off the rear.

Shake rattle and roll? Or smooth sailing.. We shall see. We shall see....
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really noticed the Airlift difference on those cloverleaf-type freeway onramps. There was much less sway in the back. It's a good product but I think it's time for something more permanent, short of spending $400 on all new springs.

I'll get mine aligned by a shop and see where we stand...

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

I beg to differ.

My overloads have been in place for ten years and over 50,000 miles.

Those bolts and mounts are fully capable of handling a couple hundred pounds of extra load. They are supplementing the stock suspension, not replacing it

As you might say, Terry, no problemo.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riceye wrote:

My overloads have been in place for ten years and over 50,000 miles.

Thats really good to hear.. I remember your posting about this.. found it in a search when I started looking into it.

When I installed mine, I was overwhlemed with the difference in ride.
So much so, I thought there must be something wrong that more people weren't using these.
I'm not yet screaming the praises of my Monroes because I don't have enough hard miles on them.

Have you carried much load with your's?
I'm really interested to know how they perform with 500lbs in the van and 200 on a hitch..

FWIW.. I asked a friend with loads of OHV experience to take a look and he suggested that the shock mounts were fine with the coil overs.. But he suiggested that they may show some undo wear if driving lots of washboard (think Baja dirt roads). Said that the jackhammer-like vibration types of forces would be the concern, if any.. Not sheer forces.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
Have you carried much load with your's?
I'm really interested to know how they perform with 500lbs in the van and 200 on a hitch..

FWIW.. I asked a friend with loads of OHV experience to take a look and he suggested that the shock mounts were fine with the coil overs.. But he suiggested that they may show some undo wear if driving lots of washboard (think Baja dirt roads). Said that the jackhammer-like vibration types of forces would be the concern, if any.. Not sheer forces.

The biggest load was moving two kids back from school with all of their worldly possessions one spring several years ago. Barely enough room for four people. That was a 1300 mile trek one way. Other times I've had it loaded down with a week's worth of supplies, two canoes and four people. I've never been able to get the rear end to drop below a level plane. Although, I've never pulled a trailer, either.

I'd venture to guess that 99% of my mileage has been on pavement, but I have been down more than a few wicked washboarded BLM roads to get to campsites or trailheads. You know the kind - smoother at 30 mph than at 5 mph. Couldn't open a beer for half an hour without making a mess.

I'm really happy with them, too. I'm considering pulling them off and taking them back to NAPA for a fresh set. They do carry a lifetime warranty, after all, and the local NAPA guys are friends.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
djbside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="riceye"]
j_dirge wrote:
Couldn't open a beer for half an hour without making a mess.

That is just plain SAD!!! Wink
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<I beg to differ.

My overloads have been in place for ten years and over 50,000 miles.>>

I'm going to beg ya right back on this one.

The reason 9 times outa ten for the spring assist shocks--or even the air bags is to supplement worn out springs.
It's a fact of life, and as long as the shock or the air bags are cheaper than doing the job right, ths is the end result--

Now, air bags are used in the suspension of Buses, Semi tractor's, trailer's, and motor homes.

Firestone Goodyear, make bags for a bunch of HD applications.
Air lift has been around for maybe 60 years, and has always made a good product.

As long as suspension systems have air bags instead of springs, a air lift system is as close to a sring replacement as your gonna get--without doing it.

With the overload shocks your putting the weight on 4 real narrow pivot points--the shock mounts.

Shocks are supposed to control suspension rebound, not carry the load.
Abosorb the shock--not support the weight of the vehicle plus a overload.

This is the way it is--the way it be in Auotomotive engineering 101.

And the right way of adding any rear suspenion update on the ass end of your( or my ) Van would have been to have a pair of progressively wound springs in leau of beefing up the worn out stock springs with coil over shocks or air bags.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

And the right way of adding any rear suspenion update on the ass end of your( or my ) Van would have been to have a pair of progressively wound springs in leau of beefing up the worn out stock springs with coil over shocks or air bags.

I do not disagree...

Do you have a source for "progressively wound springs" for a Vanagon?

FWIW.. my stock springs show no signs of being "worn out". My shocks were destroyed... "gurgling" sound when compressed by hand. Yes. Possibly originals.
The springs are 20 yrs old. But there was no unloaded sag and no Westy lean (yet).

I just have an occasional need to tow and haul a lot more than the Westy stock spring can handle.. and apparantly more than the AirLift bags can handle..
AND the AirBags led to me losing my driver side suspension stop bumper.. Simply no other explanation for that. What I am trying to figure out now is how the bumper stop worked its way out through the coil spring.. There's no signs of forced exit. And I KNOW it was there when I last checked about 7 months ago.

So for $140 the Monroes look and, so far, perform like a better solution over the $80 AirLift bags.
When an even BETTER solution comes along and I can afford it, I'll likely pull the trigger on it.. That is if I still need to occasionally tow a lot of weight and/or haul a lot of stuff in and off the rear end.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*EDIT*

Terry Kay wrote:

The reason 9 times outa ten for the spring assist shcks--or even the air bags is to supplement worn out springs.
It's a fact of life, and as long as the shock or the air bags are cheaper than doing the job right, ths is the end result--

When people refer to a spring as being "worn out", I think that most people tend to think that the spring has lost it's load carrying capacity, ie; the spring is getting soft. This is not necessarily true! The spring rate (the force required to compress the spring one inch for a constant rate spring or the force required to compress the spring a given amount for a progressive spring) of a coil spring generally does not change over the life of the spring. In extreme cases, the spring rate can increase due to work hardening, but this generally does not happen. What can change over time is the spring load. Spring load is the amount of weight the spring can support at a given height. When someone says that a spring has "sagged", it's the spring load that has changed, not the spring rate.

What does this mean? It means that a sagged spring can still carry just as much weight as a non-sagged example, but the sagged spring needs to compress more to do so. As long as there is still adequate suspension travel and the spring does not compress to the point of coil bind (when all the coils compress to the point that they touch each other), the sagged spring will perform it's weight carrying duties the same as the non-sagged spring.

Obviously what you notice with a sagged spring is that the vehicle will have a decreased suspension height at the point(s) of the sagged spring. This can lead to suspension geometry/handling issues in certain circumstances. With the addition of any supplemental spring, be it an air bag or an additional coil spring, you are actually transferring some of the load from the main spring to the supplemental spring. If the spring rate/load rate/installed length of the supplemental is great enough, you will then see an increase in ride height as well as increased overall spring rate. A supplemental spring can also be installed/designed in such a way as to simply add spring rate the vehicle without changing the ride height.

Terry Kay wrote:
Shocks are supposed to control suspension rebound, not carry the load.
Abosorb the shock--not support the weight of the vehicle plus a overload.

This is the way it is--the way it be in Auotomotive engineering 101.

I have to say that the above quote is very misleading and some of it is downright false.

In the examples given in this thread, concerning the addition of a supplemental coil spring mounted around the body of a shock absorber the shock absorber itself is not carrying the load of the vehicle, the shock absorber body is carrying the load. Now, this may be a fine line, but it is one where I feel people may be misled.

In the case of a coil over type shock, there are two distinct systems at work. One system is the shock absorber, which is made up of a body (the big tube), piston, shaft, valving, oil and sometimes gases. This is the system that controls the springs. Its the brains of the suspension system. The shocks job is to control the energy that is exerted by the coil spring by regulating how fast/slow the spring is allowed to store and release it's energy.

The second system in play in a coil over type shock is the coil spring. The coil over shock system allows two of the components of the shock absorber to do double duty as spring mounts; the shock body and the shaft. A mount attached to the body of the shock as well as a mount attached to the upper portion of the shaft act as these coil spring mounts. If you were to remove the coil spring from the coil over shock, the shock would still act as a shock. It's the ability of the two components of the shock to serve double duty as coil spring mounts that allow the coil over shock to carry the load of the vehicle.

I know that I did not really have to explain every aspect of a coil over shock, but I just wanted to make it clear that it is not the "shock" that is carrying the load of the vehicle, it is the coil spring. Yes, this coil spring is attached to the shock body, but it's the shock body that is transferring the load of the vehicle through the coil spring, not the shock itself. Semantics? maybe, but when you truly look at it, there is a difference. No, this does not address the mounts at the rear of the Vanagon, but there are quite a few people who have real life miles under their belt showing that the the Vanagon shock mounts are holding up when using the supplemental coil over shock.

In my opinion, like others have mentioned, if there was going to be a weak link, it would be the lower tabs. However, there would be incredibly easy to reinforce if one was worried about it. The upper mount and the bolts are NOT an issue if the proper hardware is being uses. All bets are off if a grade 2 bolt is used, but we all know that, right?

As to the comment about "Auotomotive(sp) engineering 101", all I can say is look at the MacPherson/Chapman/ struts as well as the true coil over based suspensions used on millions of road and race cars.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]

Last edited by Christopher Schimke on Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rear springs question Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Mornin' folks,

I think I'm going to go with the cutting board spacers in the rear. Here's my question:

Or,

Does it make more sense to use spacers with the '91 rear springs that I have sitting in my garage and level it out that way?

The '91 rears are shorter than the '85 rears and I'm thinking that with spacers, maybe the camber won't be so bad in the back end.

Thanks for listening...

Has anyone used the mercedes coil spring shims to level out their rear or westy lean? They come in all different thicknesses from 8mm to 19mm and are inexpensive.
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/YN/E6133-LEM-L...oogle+Base

the only issue I can think of is if the diameter of the vanagon coil spring being compatible with the mercedes shims.

Paul
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason 9 times outa ten for the spring assist shocks--or even the air bags is to supplement worn out springs.
It's a fact of life, and as long as the shock or the air bags are cheaper than doing the job right, ths is the end result--[/quote]

<<<When people refer to a spring as being "worn out", I think that most people tend to think that the spring has lost it's load carrying capacity,>>

It has.

<<In the examples given in this thread, concerning the addition of a supplemental coil spring mounted around the body of a shock absorber the shock absorber itself is not carrying the load of the vehicle, the shock absorber body is carrying the load.>>

This is correct.
The shock body is supporting a mamby pamby light loaded spring in the wrong area for maximum spring efficiancy.

It's an assist coil over oil filled shock.
If it was a Bilstein gas charged shock which would offer some more weight bearinh efficiantcy--then maybe there would be some merit to the uni.
As an oil filled shock--your working on that light loaded spring , mounted in the wrong area of the A-arm.
Your asking for something else, not designed to do the job in a different area of the vehicle.

<<In the case of a coil over type shock, there are two distinct systems at work. One system is the shock absorber, which is made up of a body (the big tube), piston, shaft, valving, oil and sometimes gases.>>

Name one overload shock that is a gas charged shock---
Never have seen or heard on one.

<< This is the system that controls the springs. Its the brains of the suspension system. The shocks job is to control the energy that is exerted by the coil spring>>

No it isn't.
A shock absorber is manufactured to control spring rebound--that's all it was ever intended to do.

<< by regulating how fast/slow the spring is allowed to store and release it's energy.>>

Nyet.
Pull your shocks off your ride.
All 4 of them

Let me know how long it takes for your vehicle to stop bouncing over a washboard highway.

You'll look like Cheech & Chong bouncing down the road in their La Bamba mobile.

<<The second system in play in a coil over type shock is the coil spring. The coil over shock system allows two of the components of the shock absorber to do double duty as spring mounts; the shock body and the shaft. A mount attached to the body of the shock as well as a mount attached to the upper portion of the shaft act as these coil spring mounts.>>>

Which is asking the shock to do the job of the fagged out spring.

When the spring is sprung out it offer's little or no vehicle support.

This what a spring was intended to do--support the vehicle & cushion it from the highway's wallow's, divot's & potholes.
Soften the ride so the vehicle doesn't get the big bang at every hole.
The shock was made to retard the spring from returning to it's upper most postion at a rapid rate--bouncing would be a good explaination.

<< If you were to remove the coil spring from the coil over shock, the shock would still act as a shock.>>

Sure it would.

<< It's the ability of the two components of the shock to serve double duty>>>

This was a cheap shot By Warshawski's in the 50's to suppliment bagging , worn out springs--leaf or coil's.

It stuck--people are always looking for a cheap shot--and it jacked up the rear end.

<< as coil spring mounts that allow the coil over shock to carry the load of the vehicle.>>

A very light spring working in conjuction with a half worn out suspension unit, will give you the illusion of the rear suspension being correct.
it isn't.

The shock mounts were never intended to carry the full load of the rear of any vehicle without first being carried by the primary suspension spring.

<<look at the MacPherson/Chapman/ truts as well as the true coil over based suspensions used on millions of road and race cars.>>

And everyday Ma & Pa's automobile.

They are gas charged struts which aide in the rebound properties of the vehicle.
A hydraulic strut won't do the job of a coil spring.

One more smalll item--and I know I'm going to bring up a slightly different vehicle.
But it's a VW, and it's in van form.

I listened to several guru's of Type 2 wonder, and intsalled a brand new pair of spring loaded shocks--instead of getting my torsions bars adjusted properly.
( and this would be just like installing a new pair of rear springs in a Vanagon--the correct suspension height, is the correct suspension height, any way you want to go about it.)

The new shock bolts snapped in less than 5 miles.

Yea--I got the right ride height--but not for too long.

I then adjusted the torsion bars like I first should have so the Bus ran level and true--then stuck a set of Bilsteins under the Bus--all the way around.
All is perfect.

Getting the proper ride height first is the most important mission, and not with an accessory afterthought cure.
It just ain't right.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in continuing this thread, let me know and I will spend the time to respond to Terry's comments. I have plenty to say, but not if no one cares but me.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: